Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull P40 - weak bulkhead / poor design

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon - Laser Engines22/02/2018 09:17:23
3756 forum posts
147 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 22/02/2018 08:07:35:

TBH guys, with all the other issues I have had with this model, the departing bulkhead had me reaching for the box of matches and it was going onto the bonfire. So this is its last chance!

I will give it a home

trebor22/02/2018 09:41:24
1549 forum posts
191 photos

I'll buy tickets if you raffle it laugh

Ron Gray22/02/2018 09:47:55
848 forum posts
213 photos

I will keep you guys in mind when I give it its maiden!

Brett Hoskins09/03/2018 06:12:41
2 forum posts

I've have this model, managed to get it airborne only once and had the firewall, fail on the maiden flight.

I would say that it appears to be a good flyer, but it has weaknesses eg firewall. Has a high propensity to nose over at the recommended balance point taxiing on grass, and on take-off .

If using factory mechanical retracts, they cannot be fixed all the way forward on the mounts, otherwise the wheels don't fully fit retracted into the wheel wells, and also interfere with the retract servo. Result, an even higher propensity to nose over.

I prefer electric, but not many choices for a model this size.

Ron Gray09/03/2018 07:43:23
848 forum posts
213 photos

Don’t start me off on retracts for this model, I didn’t want to spend out on them but after getting through 3 pairs of cheap ones I should have! In the end I’ve used HD ones from HK and converted them to twist n turn. Time will tell.

Jon - Laser Engines09/03/2018 08:43:41
3756 forum posts
147 photos

Full size P40's had their wheels almost directly on the leading edge and had a small forward rake. THis is not replicated very well on most models.

As for c/g, most are conservative to prevent a super sensitive model on the maiden. These days i tend to ignore the instructions for c/g and control movements as i find they normally recommend way too much movement, especially on elevator, and find the cg too far forward which makes the spinner a vital part of the landing gear!

Ron Gray09/03/2018 10:43:02
848 forum posts
213 photos

Jon - I do wish you'd keep quiet, I am now even more 'anxious' about flying this model!

PS, picked up the Hurricane last night, a really nice put together and finished model, tank maybe a bit too high though (as you thought).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues