Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

RCV Engines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
G-JIMG19/02/2018 10:35:39
73 forum posts
9 photos

Does anyone know if the RCV SP Engines are still in production?

I'm after an RCV60SP but the only UK shop that lists them is out of stock, with no forecast for resupply, and Weston UK are not responding to emails.

David Ashby - Moderator19/02/2018 10:50:57
10856 forum posts
1622 photos
603 articles

Perhaps best to try phoning Weston.

gillyg119/02/2018 10:54:34
118 forum posts
17 photos
Ring Alan at weston they now manufacturer the rcv range. He's a very helpful chap.
Solly19/02/2018 11:53:39
236 forum posts
1 photos

I have been told that manufacture of RCV engines is being transferred to an engineering company in India. Don't know when though.

Don Fry19/02/2018 12:51:32
3436 forum posts
40 photos

G-JIMG, pm sent

Manish Chandrayan19/02/2018 12:55:59
554 forum posts
65 photos

Were they not being made in China ? The initial batches were made in UK but later I heard the production was moved to China.

Solly19/02/2018 13:00:31
236 forum posts
1 photos

Yes, they were made in China, apparently the Chinese manufacturer imposed a minimum order quantity of 5000 units per engine size. Hence the move to India.

Manish Chandrayan19/02/2018 13:10:10
554 forum posts
65 photos

Hmm India? UMS Perhaps? They already manufacture the Siedel/Evolution radials

Tony Richardson22/03/2019 04:08:07
586 forum posts
25 photos

Old thread I know but I need some advice, I have an RCV 58cd which is one of the quietest and most reliable little glow motors I have, turning a 12x6 2 blade prop it pulls my Sig Rascal around the sky superbly. Now here is my dilemma, I had the opportunity to purchase an RCV 60sp brand new in the box for next to nothing, now this engine has never been run so needs breaking in, I am unsure as to the cooling needs of these engines and have heard they can be picky and overheat quickly now if this engine was mounted out in the open - like most trainers - with just cowl cheeks would the cooling be sufficient or is special cowling and ducting required if so I will save it and put it in a scale model where this would be a necessity for sure.

Thoughts guys.

Thanks Tony....

Don Fry22/03/2019 07:23:12
3436 forum posts
40 photos

I have one of these. Naked in the airstream it is fine.

If cowled, it needs careful air management to prevent overheating, as it needs air moving up and down, or side to side, rather than front to back. Nice engine once run in, but they can be slow to run in. I think mine is an early one, and for at least two hours would not tickover well enough to land. I used to dead stick it, but it eventually ran itself in.

Solly22/03/2019 08:49:19
236 forum posts
1 photos

I have several RCV engines of both the CD and SP type. I have used the SP engines uncowled without a cooling scoop without problems, but I think that Weston still recommend the scoop in all applications, including running in on a test stand.

PeterF22/03/2019 09:16:51
402 forum posts
560 photos

Here are a couple of photos of the installation of an RCV60SP in my mosquito, I put scoops into the cowls from the air inlet below the spinner curved through 90degree to the the air flowing vertically over the fins. All air entering the inlet flowed into the scoop and the scoop was quite tight to the fins so all air flowed through them and not around them. The air exits were furtehr back in the crankcase area. I had no issues with engine overheating with this set up.

I have same comment as Don regarding lengthy running in, although in my case I kept a high tickover speed to avoid dead sticks as the Mossie landed quite fast this was not an issue.

1418 cooling baffle installed (custom).jpg

1480 cooling (custom).jpg

J D 822/03/2019 09:36:53
1117 forum posts
65 photos

I have been running an SP60 in my Seagull SNJ for several years. As other have said follow the instructions about scoops/ baffles. Like Peters use of the Mossi intakes. In my SNJ it is just a flat plate on one side of the radial cowl directing air across the fins.

I read somewhere that RCV would have liked the fins to run along the length of the motor but the manufacture whould have been more expensive/difficult.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us