Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

HS 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ChrisB22/02/2018 20:47:10
1191 forum posts
34 photos

If construction begins it will start in both the big smoke and the second big smoke and will meet somewhere in the middle, presumably in Oxfordshire. The question is, how far out will it be when they come to join it up? Not that it matters, as no-one will use it, as it will be so expensive for Joe public or business.

Look at the prices today. Season tickets costing £2000 plus between Rugby and London, less than an hour on the fast train with no guarantee of a seat. I think most journey times by train in this country aren't that unreasonable, especially as home/remote working, mobile phones/tablets etc mean that you don't need to be in the office every day and can have video/conference calls quite easily.

I fear it will be a waste of everyone's time and effort and will result in little more than an abandoned preservation railway funded by the Chinese.

The key issue with the current system is the lack of rolling stock.

We seem to have a very short term approach to development in this country. I work in a medium city near Birmingham and we hosted some pre-olympic football matches. Money was bid for, money was received and was spent on a new 'public realm' scheme, with new paving, shared spaces and 'artistic' bollards. Six years on and the bollards are broken, the paving is cracked, the chewing gum is spread everywhere and the roads have been patched up several times. Now the project is over, the money has been spent....the 'Legacy'.....is a c**p environment that continues to crumble and the next project is the focus. HS2, if it ever happens, will be the same.

Any road, glad to hear the SCRCS is still about.

Edited By ChrisB on 22/02/2018 20:49:57

john stones 122/02/2018 21:23:52
9359 forum posts
1428 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 22/02/2018 20:09:03:

I expect then that they will have come up with a system to disperse leaves and snow from the line, also to prevent them from buckling due to heat. Wish that the PM could be copied into this thread.

A politician of any party listening....I do love an optimist. wink

Martin McIntosh23/02/2018 00:24:33
2424 forum posts
935 photos

It is proposed to run these every few minutes. Anyone thought about how long it would take to load/unload a 1/4 mile long train?

Denis Watkins23/02/2018 06:44:14
2718 forum posts
137 photos

The Hitachi high speed train assembly site is already up and running in Co Durham UK, able to complete units at a maximum 35 per month.

These trains are already being test run, they already exist in multiple sidings. This concept and idea is a reality.

Allan Bennett23/02/2018 07:55:11
1307 forum posts
31 photos

Having been involved in the construction of HS1, I would like to point out that reducing journey times is not the only aim of HS2: Most of the UK's conventional rail network is already overcrowded, with very little scope for the addition of extra trains. To run extra trains, extra tracks will be needed, so they might as well be "HS" tracks. And while we're at it, they might as well be built to European loading gauge so they can accomodate their larger carriages.

Hence HS2's oft-unappreciated objective is to free up the West Coast Main Line (and others) so that more stopping trains can be run on them. Whether or not it's still value for money I'll leave to others to debate . . .

Capt Kremen23/02/2018 18:57:06
205 forum posts
49 photos

Can the train enthusiast members among us advise, do modern train rolling stock carriages carry more passengers than in 'BR' days?

i.e. 'BR' a separate Loco hauling 12+ coaches (incl Dining Car), Modern stock has 6 (or often less) self powered coaches in total, these running long intercity routes.

Denis Watkins23/02/2018 19:40:45
2718 forum posts
137 photos
Posted by Capt Kremen on 23/02/2018 18:57:06:

Can the train enthusiast members among us advise, do modern train rolling stock carriages carry more passengers than in 'BR' days?

i.e. 'BR' a separate Loco hauling 12+ coaches (incl Dining Car), Modern stock has 6 (or often less) self powered coaches in total, these running long intercity routes.

They intend to run more of what we call coaches, with a capacity of 66 to 78 passengers, the idea being seated.

The dining car obviously has more open space. A 9 coach train would carry in the order of 550 passengers

A 5 coach, non diner could carry 230 passengers, but 2 of the 5 units are power cars, so totally inefficient.

Long trains will be back in fashion

Don Fry23/02/2018 19:59:34
2395 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Allan Bennett on 23/02/2018 07:55:11:

Having been involved in the construction of HS1, I would like to point out that reducing journey times is not the only aim of HS2: Most of the UK's conventional rail network is already overcrowded, with very little scope for the addition of extra trains. To run extra trains, extra tracks will be needed, so they might as well be "HS" tracks. And while we're at it, they might as well be built to European loading gauge so they can accomodate their larger carriages.

Hence HS2's oft-unappreciated objective is to free up the West Coast Main Line (and others) so that more stopping trains can be run on them. Whether or not it's still value for money I'll leave to others to debate . . .

Fair enough, build track, but why fast. It's expensive, noisy, at least more dangerous.

Only the contractors, given a long, fat feast at this trough, like the idea.

Martin McIntosh23/02/2018 20:45:55
2424 forum posts
935 photos

Now hang on a moment. The London undergrounds run every one to three minutes apart, so why does there need to be such a long gap between overground trains? The tracks do not exactly seem to be over used to me. If it is a power supply problem then this could easily be overcome. If they can allow aircraft to take off and land with a 45 second gap then why not trains?

Allan Bennett24/02/2018 13:24:12
1307 forum posts
31 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 23/02/2018 20:45:55:

Now hang on a moment. The London undergrounds run every one to three minutes apart, so why does there need to be such a long gap between overground trains? The tracks do not exactly seem to be over used to me. If it is a power supply problem then this could easily be overcome. If they can allow aircraft to take off and land with a 45 second gap then why not trains?

Good point! Mainline trains can, and do, run at one-minute intervals under favourable conditions: Speed must be the same, speed needs to be high enough that the first train can get 2 or 3 signals ahead of the following one (i.e. over about 90mph in the area I live), acceleration capabilities need to be similar, no stopping or slower trains in the way, no trains crossing the track to go onto a branch line, etc.

Underground trains can run at short intervals because they run at much slower speeds than mainline ones and they're equally matched for speed, acceleration, and braking.

Aircraft can take off at short intervals because they're not usually following the same track after they get off the runway, so won't bump into each other.

Tom Sharp 224/02/2018 21:49:36
2860 forum posts
16 photos

Our club has been flying alongside the Crewe to Manchester line near to Crewe for about ten years. I would hardly say that the line is ever busy, a Virgin train about every twenty minutes or so plus the occasional local train.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues