Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Darkest Hour.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance23/02/2018 18:58:09
6495 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Chaps. Just been to watch the new film about Winston Churchill. A very powerful portrayal by Gary Oldman. His recent Oscar for the performance was well deserved. yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/02/2018 18:58:53

John Stainforth23/02/2018 19:21:48
192 forum posts
38 photos

He hasn't got the Oscar yet.

Percy Verance23/02/2018 19:30:12
6495 forum posts
110 photos

Maybe it's another one of their mess ups?  My mistake. I ought to have said nomination.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/02/2018 19:31:43

Mike Etheridge 123/02/2018 19:53:01
1409 forum posts
388 photos

Saw the film yesterday and must agree it was outstanding. My wife often takes me to Chartwell as we are National Trust members. It's at Chartwell where you can usually see some of Winston's paintings, an aspect that was not featured in the film. A follow on from the period covered would be great I think.

Chris Stevenson24/02/2018 07:06:18
29 forum posts
3 photos

One of the best films I’ve seen in years, Gary Oldman’s portrayal thoroughly deserved the BAFTA which he won last Sunday. I understand members of Churchill’s family have described his acting as the most accurate to the great man they have ever seen.

Percy Verance24/02/2018 07:21:14
6495 forum posts
110 photos

Yes Chris, Gary Oldman seemed to have the great man off to a tee. A superbly moving portrayal if ever there was. I was only fairly young when Winston Churchill passed away, but I have a clear recollection of his funeral in 1965. It was one of those truly memorable moments in time.

The moment his funeral flotilla passed the dock cranes on the Thames, the crane drivers swung their gantries towards the river and lowered them in salute. Completely unscripted, and a moving touch......

MIke, the film was more a portrayal of a particular period in Churchill's life, and not so much a whole life story. There have of course been such films, but none - in my opinion - have had the impact of this latest offering.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 07:37:03

Cuban824/02/2018 10:55:59
1953 forum posts
3 photos

I haven't seen the film yet, in fact I wasn't going to bother after enduring the recent Dunkirk offering. Quite a good programme on the Yesterday channel now entitled 'the day Churchill chose war' worth a look if you can get it.

Churchill was very much the man of the hour and the right man for the job in 1940, He was, if you care to research him, a highly flawed politian, and in military terms capable of poor decisions and often had to be reigned in by his generals. He was certainly no friend of the working class throughout his career, and was subjected to several hostile receptions from bombed out Londoners during his tours of the blitzed east end. Not what the newsreels of the time reported on, naturally.

The move for social change during the 1945 election campaign was completely alien to him. He was shocked to the core after being rejected by the country in the 1945 and the landslide election win by Attlee's Labour party. He was returned to power in 1951 after a fickle electorate become tired of Mr Attlee!

A great man of courage and integrity, certainly, - a paragon of virtue not at all.

Tim Hooper24/02/2018 11:05:56
2821 forum posts
2346 photos

We took my 92 year old father-in-law to see the film, as he remembers the actual events although he was young at the time. he was very moved by it, and said it captured the atmosphere of the moment pretty faithfully.

I enjoyed the film too. As an admirer of Gary Oldman's acting abilities and characterisations (from Stan the New York cop in 'Leon' to George Smiley in 'Tinker, Tailor..), I'm always impressed with his portrayals.

Tim

PS Here's Churchill getting a bit funky.......

**LINK**

Percy Verance24/02/2018 20:04:06
6495 forum posts
110 photos

C8

I'd read and heard about such incidents when Churchill went on walkabouts after various bombing raids. He was once heard to remark "we can take it" while surveying flattened houses in one area, whereupon a woman who'd had her house wrecked shouted "but it's not YOU who's taking it!". It isn't reported what happened after that.....

He certainly wasn't flawless, but he did fulfil the role of Prime Minister very ably at what was an awful period in Britain's history. I do wonder how well some of the other wishy washy politicians at the time might have coped?

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 20:09:32

Geoff Sleath24/02/2018 20:17:15
2610 forum posts
198 photos

As a child in the 1940s (I was born in 1940) and living in a coal mining area I remember the boos whenever Churchill appeared in newsreels when I went to the cinema. He was certainly not universally lauded, as the results of the 1945 general election demonstrate. He was certainly the man for the job during WW2 but had the war not happened he would barely be remembered except by historians.

It's not a film I'll make any great effort to see despite the undoubted talent of the cast and Oldman in particular.

Geoff

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator24/02/2018 20:28:31
15233 forum posts
1407 photos

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and very much enjoyed it. Even Mrs BEB, not usually her sort of film, thought it was excellent.

I was particularly impressed by te portrayal of him as a leader. Leaders have to always seem totally confident with no doubts whatsoever - and at that time that was doubly important. And of course all the public info we have about his speeches, his demeanour etc., are of this supremely confident and inspiring leader. The film though let's us glance the human being behind the front, which must have had doubts, in private, and the film shows this. Very good.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/02/2018 21:22:24

David Holland 224/02/2018 20:40:54
161 forum posts
7 photos

Saw the film a couple of weeks ago with the present Mrs H and we thought it excellent. Churchill had his flaws, his treatment of Bomber Command after the war was disgraceful, but the World may well be a lot darker place today had it not been for him.

David

Cuban824/02/2018 20:43:49
1953 forum posts
3 photos
Meerkat movies deal next Tuesday, so We'll give it a chance then - will keep an open mind.
onetenor24/02/2018 20:52:18
1648 forum posts

My dad called him a "Glory Hunter" or something similar then Homes fit for heroes. Pfft.. Dad was soldier in WW1and wounded . He was referring to the statement politicians statements /promise made after WW1. He said it about any politician of that period but was more vehement about Churchill but never explained exactly why.. Non the less I would like to see the film but will have to wait ''til it comes on T.V. as I'm currently housebound. Hey Ho !

john stones 124/02/2018 21:18:31
9370 forum posts
1428 photos

Gary Oldman great actor.

Tom Sharp 224/02/2018 21:23:15
2866 forum posts
16 photos

My late Mother in Law always said that she and many other soldiers wives voted for Attlee because he said he would bring the soldiers home upon the cessation of hostilities.

Churchill on the other hand, said he would keep troops in Europe for an extended time.

This alone, according to my Mother in Law who came from a traditional Tory family, was the fact why Churchill was deposed.

ASH.24/02/2018 22:02:07
192 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 07:21:14:

The moment his funeral flotilla passed the dock cranes on the Thames, the crane drivers swung their gantries towards the river and lowered them in salute. Completely unscripted, and a moving touch......

I have seen that same b&w film clip Percy and was quite moved by it. However, I later found out it was all rigged, dockers did not work at the weekend and were payed to come in and perform the act.

Churchill is an intriguing character and one I am more interested in knowing about. Far from perfect (and good) I'm sure.

Got to see the film.. Oldman is an ace actor.

dave windymiller24/02/2018 22:33:45
57 forum posts
80 photos

Another good documentry was Hitler verses Churchill (or vice versa - cant remember?) on the freeview channel PBS america. Most of the footage i had never seen before and much in re-coloured filming.

Edited By dave windymiller on 24/02/2018 22:34:49

Tom Sharp 225/02/2018 01:40:06
2866 forum posts
16 photos

ASH

I thought Churchill was buried on a Wednesday. Nobody was buried on Saturdays in those days.

Tom Thomas25/02/2018 04:03:38
315 forum posts
207 photos
Posted by ASH. on 24/02/2018 22:02:07:
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 07:21:14:

I have seen that same b&w film clip Percy and was quite moved by it. However, I later found out it was all rigged, dockers did not work at the weekend and were payed to come in and perform the act.

Rigged? Is a very disrespectful use of the occasion.

How about rehearsed?

Like or loath, he deserved a send off as great as any, as regard to his private life? Bless him, none of us are above judgement.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues