All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
onetenor24/02/2018 17:59:35
1647 forum posts

The oil burns up so can't contaminate the cat. BTW I was a motor engineer /

Don Fry24/02/2018 19:02:23
2399 forum posts
30 photos

So tell me why. Carbon 18, to 30 chains, along with the heavy metal bits, in modern oils wold be burnt in the engine. Bear in mind, the design engineers, chemists, spent a huge amount of money tuning the motor to run on petrol, and you say a grunge of methanol, oil, and water is good. All I ask is an explain, why those bits are destroyed in the motor before they challenge the cat to keep working.

Not saying I am wrong, but tell me why please.

brokenenglish24/02/2018 19:57:39
310 forum posts
22 photos

As "sometimes" happens, IMO this discussion is way too technical and OT.

Going back to the original post, my answer would be that I personally have used 20-year old glow fuel, from a plastic container, that was perfectly OK. So it doesn't "go off" (and others seem to agree).

This seems to indicate that, if there is a problem, then it's due to some factor other than simply the age of the fuel.

Are you sure the fuel hasn't been polluted or messed with in some way?
We all know that methanol is hygroscopic but, within reasonable limits, that shouldn't have a disastrous effect on your engine running.

Are you sure your engine is OK (properly set up and running well).
If the engine isn't running well, a first check would be to determine whether you're getting better results on a different fuel.

Tom Sharp 224/02/2018 21:36:46
2866 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by Martian on 24/02/2018 15:50:15:

I'm not sure I would be happy at all storing volatile fuel in my loft, in the event of a fire it would be explosive.

And if you still have polystyrene ceiling tiles in your bedroom, things could get a little exciting.

onetenor24/02/2018 23:23:20
1647 forum posts

We are talking of a very low %age of oil in the total mix on just one occasion. Not running the engine on such a mixture for a period of time. As such I can't see it harming the cat to any degree. Just my opinion based on experience not owing to any testing. As such Ignore what I'm saying and keep it for cleaning and loosening up dirty motors etc.

Tom Sharp 225/02/2018 01:35:25
2866 forum posts
16 photos

Anyone who puts old model aircraft fuel anywhere near a car engine must have money to burn or a through dislike of his car. laugh

David Davis25/02/2018 05:42:58
2887 forum posts
489 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 25/02/2018 01:35:25:

Anyone who puts old model aircraft fuel anywhere near a car engine must have money to burn or a through dislike of his car. laugh

I, on the other hand, have sometimes added a little petrol to old glow fuel and used it in my models!

Martin Fraser25/02/2018 14:21:23
18 forum posts
13 photos

Posted by brokenenglish on 24/02/2018 19:57:39:

As "sometimes" happens, IMO this discussion is way too technical and OT.

Going back to the original post, my answer would be that I personally have used 20-year old glow fuel, from a plastic container, that was perfectly OK. So it doesn't "go off" (and others seem to agree).

This seems to indicate that, if there is a problem, then it's due to some factor other than simply the age of the fuel.

Are you sure the fuel hasn't been polluted or messed with in some way?
We all know that methanol is hygroscopic but, within reasonable limits, that shouldn't have a disastrous effect on your engine running.

Are you sure your engine is OK (properly set up and running well).
If the engine isn't running well, a first check would be to determine whether you're getting better results on a different fuel.

I've been running the Saito on Opti 4 stroke MV15 and she's been lovely. Nice steady idle and smooth power all the way to full throttle, without any hic-ups in flight! So I don't think there's anything amiss there. The fuel has come to me as part of a shed clear-out so I don't know how old it is or whether it's be mixed with anything else.

I'll pop along to Steve Webb's soon and get some more MV15. In the meantime, I'll offer the above to anyone who needs some engine cleaner.

Cheers, Marty

CARPERFECT25/02/2018 20:55:58
350 forum posts
5 photos

Question was . Where to get rid of old fuel ? council dump. put it in the waste oil tank

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues