Forum sponsored by CML

WW1 aircraft film

Aussie War Memorial

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daithi O Buitigh03/03/2018 15:44:41
1318 forum posts
47 photos

Some nice shots here (I do believe the flying shots of the Harry Tate are faked though)

Martin Harris03/03/2018 17:49:20
7915 forum posts
203 photos

Interesting stuff - a lot I haven't seen before and really good quality. However, I'm fairly sure that some of it was from Howard Hughes' film Hells Angels which was filmed in the 20s.

Geoff Sleath03/03/2018 18:14:30
2915 forum posts
242 photos

Excellent film and the other films featured on YouTube as similar look interesting too. I particularly liked this one about aircraft manufacture in the US from cutting trees to test flights. There's one shot of workers doping the fabric on the wings using what look like 6" brushes - it's a wonder any of them are still concious with all the fumes!

I was half watching whilst building my DB DH60 Moth and a lot of the techniques they're using aren't much different from the ones we use for models!

Geoff

TJ Alexander04/03/2018 12:44:19
103 forum posts

I wonder if anyone can name all the marques featured? I clocked Brisfit, DH9, Sopwith ?Camel, Albatros, ?Gotha...

Geoff Sleath04/03/2018 13:16:14
2915 forum posts
242 photos

There were some SE5a I think.

Geoff

Simon Chaddock04/03/2018 13:25:54
5226 forum posts
2721 photos

RE8, Fokker DVII, Albatross D2, Fokker Triplane to name but a few!

J D 804/03/2018 13:45:02
946 forum posts
59 photos

There were some Martinside G100's single seat bombers,RE 8's,BE2, Bristol Boxkite,Cauldron,Fokker D7's.The German skull and cross bones is a Rumpler I think, Fokker triplane,Sopwith Camels taking off and doing aerobatics.Albertross taxi's past a burning Newport 17 [ I think]

And I aggree with Martin that some shots are from Hells Angels.

Martin Harris04/03/2018 14:06:25
7915 forum posts
203 photos

How many of us have actually seen that film, I wonder?

I don't recall it being shown on the TV in the days when films like Reach for the Sky and Angels 15 were shown on most Sunday afternoons and I have only seen it by getting a Region 1 DVD from the US as I couldn't find it anywhere else. Asking quite a few of my clubmates if they've ever seen it has drawn a blank too.

For those that haven't seen it - it's an awful film with hammy acting and dialogue! However, the flying action scenes are fantastic. Many "serious" documentaries have featured Howard Hughes' footage from the film. Apart from the obvious American semi-desert background, the action sequences were as good as could the technology allowed and were flown using authentic aircraft and mostly by ex-WW1 pilots.

Geoff Sleath04/03/2018 14:18:11
2915 forum posts
242 photos

All I know about Hell's Angel's is that Ben Lyon was in it as he was always being kidded about his performance on the long running radio comedy show 'Life with the Lyons' of my youth.

As for the hammy acting/dialogue, I think most films from the era would be considered in that light by modern audiences. Film and TV shows have improved acting techniques greatly - or certainly changed them. I watched a film about Amy Johnson starring Anna Neagle, a highly regarded film star at the time, which was awful compared to any treatment of the subject that might be made today. With few exceptions (Casablanca, for one) old monochrome films are barely watchable now.

Geoff

Charles Smitheman04/03/2018 16:03:56
204 forum posts
17 photos

Ansaldo?

Martin Harris04/03/2018 16:23:00
7915 forum posts
203 photos

Care to expand on that, Charles?

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/03/2018 16:23:20

Charles Smitheman04/03/2018 16:56:07
204 forum posts
17 photos

At 50 seconds in to the movie the tail of one taking off looks a bit like an Ansaldo SVA but I am not sure...

Two fascinating films. Thanks.

J D 804/03/2018 18:01:29
946 forum posts
59 photos

Not Ansaldo's, Those are Martynsyde G100 Elephants,and from the uniforms they are in Australian service.

The DB Major Mannock model which everyone thinks is a semi scale 5a is actually much closer to the Elephant both in shape and scale,the model though is only a two bay biplane not a four bay like the full size. Not a great pic but here is mine on the flight line.smileyflight line

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us