Forum sponsored by CML

Xtra Wot

Discontinued

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Flynn 104/03/2018 21:28:50
50 forum posts
1 photos

For some time now I have been playing with idea of building an Xtra Wot. I've Flown most of Chris,s models and not found a bad one.

Anyway I have seen a few on eBay and other sites, but don't really want a plane that has been hammered by other flyers.

So I thought I'd see who had the best price for this model on line. To my surprise It appears that this kit has been discontinued, so no stock about. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd ask on here as, I'm sure some body has the story.

Thanks Tom

Paul Marsh04/03/2018 21:56:38
3238 forum posts
892 photos

There might be one for sale at a swap meet, either new in box, unbuilt, or well new built model,

Failing that, if you want an Xtra Wot, what about the ARTF version. It is quite good, and only around £200, where the kit was over £250. I have one and they fly well.

Incidentally, I have 2 kit ones and a ARTF one. The model one is the first kits made and over 20 years old now.

No 1: first Xtra Wot, built. Engine OS 120fs Pump Mk1

No. 2 bought from a Swapmeet. Has an OS 120 AX

ARTF version Saito 182 Flat Twin.

Acro Wot XL

Paul Marsh04/03/2018 21:59:41
3238 forum posts
892 photos

SMC have one, £300.

**LINK**

Rocker04/03/2018 22:47:06
198 forum posts

Am I getting mixed up here ,is this Acro Wot XL or is this a different model .I am hoping Ripmax are not discontinuing the Acro Wot XL and Wots Wot XL .Please tell me these model are still available to buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sad

Percy Verance05/03/2018 06:40:58
6478 forum posts
110 photos

There is the Graduate. It isn't unlike the large Acrowot in appearance and is LMA approved. It is advertised in the LMA Journals, and available through Propguy. It's a kit and will have to be built though. Personally I see that as a plus, as it's twice the pleasure. Build and fly! The Graduate is aimed at intermediate flyers, and can use engines from about 30cc upwards, along with suitable electric set-ups.

Rocker

The Extrawot was the original Chris Foss kit version, and the other is the ripmax artf job.

Edited By Percy Verance on 05/03/2018 06:45:17

Brian Cooper05/03/2018 07:56:48
350 forum posts
15 photos

If you get one (Xtra-Wot) reinforce the tailplane. . This an area which is known to be weak on this model and it can and will collapse whilst being pushed hard with some spirited flying.

B.C..

Rocker05/03/2018 09:07:16
198 forum posts

Just realised the XtraWot is a different model from the Acro Wot XL .The Xtra Wot is the Chris Foss Model that you have to build and the Acro Wot is Ripmax ARTF

Percy Verance05/03/2018 13:58:31
6478 forum posts
110 photos

The same thing happened to me when I was test flying an Uno Wot a few years back Brian, but on this occasion it was the fin that broke loose. Luckily it came down in long grass relatively lightly, without too much damage. Chris Foss is a good designer, but some of his designs have had minor flaws over the years. I believe the Acrowot is a superb flyer once a few mods have been incorporated.

Lone_Wolf05/03/2018 14:26:49
36 forum posts

Take a look at the Chris Foss website (contact us section) where it says: "All our kits, with the exception of the Xtra WOT, are available throughout the UK via leading hobby shops and from selected distributors overseas."

You can buy the Xtra Wot directly from Chris I believe.

Gary Binnie05/03/2018 14:47:33
500 forum posts
23 photos

SMC often have one in stock, being very close to Chris. I got my XtraWot from there.

Virtually finished, recently painted with two pack paint that is not fuelproof, back to the drawing board!!

Gary

Ron Gray05/03/2018 15:16:19
848 forum posts
213 photos

The Xtra WOT is a great machine and looks much better (especially with 2 person larger canopy) than the XL WOT. But, is it still made as I heard that it has been discontinued?

Jon Laughton05/03/2018 15:19:42
1074 forum posts
89 photos

I think you have to order it direct from Chris Foss models via their website?

Engine Doctor05/03/2018 17:27:30
1949 forum posts
19 photos

Extra wot is a great flyer and a very durable model . The weak fuselage just in front of the tail plane on early kits was I believe modified some years back . Violent snap rolls could snap the fuz especially with a very powerful engine fitted. I built and flew mine on a YS 140 , a great combination. Smashed it after a couple of years and gave it to a club mate who quickly rebuilt it and its still doing the rounds and flying more sedately with a Enya 90 FS up front.

Tom Flynn 108/03/2018 16:05:46
50 forum posts
1 photos

Well I thought I would follow the website's advise and ring. Well that's a challenge on its own.

Rung about 8 times, left message,s but still no contact, No email address, and the last time I saw a fax machine I was still at work.

Frustrated - Weston Super Mare

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues