Forum sponsored by CML

Windermere Model Waterplane flyers events 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Gorham_08/03/2018 16:50:09
445 forum posts
44 photos

Dear all

With just over two weeks to go until our first splash-in of the year at Ullswater I thought it would be good to list full dates and details of our 2018 splash-ins.

Dates

24/25 March

21/22 April

19/20 May

23/24 June

22/23 September

20/21 October

Location is Waterside House farm near Pooley Bridge, nearest postcode is CA10 2NA. Please send me a pm for exact access details if you haven't been before.

**Note** If you have been before can we kindly ask that you pay your car parking fee directly to the farm shop upon arrival, but the WMWF club will still collect the flying fee from you. Thanks.

Open to non-members of WMWF although annual club membership is only £5 and that gives discounted flying.

Fees are £3/day flying for non-members and £1/day flying for members.

BMFA A-certs or SAA equivalents are needed to fly solo and B-cert or equivalent for over 7Kg models.

Club rules require anyone intending to fly jet turbine powered models or over 20Kg models to contact the committee a minimum of two weeks in advance of a fly-in giving full details of the intended flying.

Hope to see some of you there for some relaxed fun flying.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 08/03/2018 16:57:33

oldgit08/03/2018 17:38:08
457 forum posts
9 photos

how far away is the caravan park for motorhomes

Percy Verance08/03/2018 17:47:22
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Alan, pm sent..........

Percy Verance08/03/2018 17:49:28
6492 forum posts
110 photos

It isn't far oldgit, just a couple of hundred yards..........

Alan Gorham_08/03/2018 17:55:13
445 forum posts
44 photos

Oldgit, if you are in a motorhome, then the flying site is actually on a campsite that accommodates motorhomes, but not caravans. Indeed some of our members have motorhomes and park immediately next to the flying area.

The nearest caravan site is Park Foot, a couple of hundred yards away as Percy says.

oldgit08/03/2018 18:05:33
457 forum posts
9 photos

thumbs up

Andy Meade09/03/2018 09:14:34
2308 forum posts
598 photos

Excellent, I hope to make at least one this year yes

Alan Gorham_09/03/2018 12:24:37
445 forum posts
44 photos

Andy do you do wet flying as well as PSS too? What wet models do you have?

Alan Gorham_09/03/2018 12:27:17
445 forum posts
44 photos

Just to let any interested parties know, the Ullswater Steamer company have a live webcam and weather station at their Pooley Bridge pier.

Our flying site is off to the left of the view of the webcam, but at least you can see what conditions are like.

I only discovered these last year, but I found them useful.

Webcam:

**LINK**

Weather Station:

**LINK**

Andy Meade09/03/2018 12:28:54
2308 forum posts
598 photos

Alan - I've wanted to get into it for a long time, and fancy building a TN Sunderland. I have a HK delta-type foamie that I fly off of local quarry ponds. I'm into all sorts of flying RC stuff you know, not just those useless PSS things!

Alan Gorham_09/03/2018 13:42:46
445 forum posts
44 photos

Good stuff! A lot of the small foamie seaplanes/flying boats can get upset by big water at an open site like Ullswater and much time is spent getting the rescue boat out to fetch them back and dry them out. There's a lot less shelter than you might be used to on a quarry pond.

I like something a bit bigger that can handle any/all weather and water conditions (bit like the ideal PSS model ) but we do get calm conditions sometimes, so don't let me put you off.

I've got a half-built Nijhuis Sunderland and the only thing I would say to you is don't bother with the CNC parts because they are too woody and too heavy.

Andy Meade09/03/2018 14:17:00
2308 forum posts
598 photos

Oh - that's the main attraction for me is the CNC kit (other than the lovely shape of the aircraft of course)! I hate cutting out formers for days on end. Any large-ish Catalina plan / parts out there that you know of?

Edited By Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:33

Alan Gorham_09/03/2018 14:24:14
445 forum posts
44 photos

I used the front fuselage formers in my model and everything else as templates to cut new, thinner parts.

You do know that TN used the wing plan from his B-17 on his Sunderland as well don't you?

The Catalina can be a tricky model subject from water, but I've seen one built from these plans go well:

**LINK**

Bucksboy09/03/2018 19:21:59
520 forum posts
101 photos

I've never been lucky enough to fly off water but my TN Sunderland is a delight to fly, I never found it too heavy. It drags itself off after sliding over grass whenever I forget my dolly. The plane is huge but is it's a big empty fuselage.

Percy Verance09/03/2018 20:31:41
6492 forum posts
110 photos

The Ivans Plans Catalina has a solid reputation too, although it may put some off being something of an involved build. It's available in two sizes too - a 9 footer and a smaller version. Ivan does lots of other interesting floatplanes as well. And of course Ivan's models are 100% electric, which is the *safe* way to go for multi engined models.

www.ivansplans.com

You just have to fly from water Bucksboy. It adds a whole new dimension! Your landings do need to be sorted though, as you don't get a second chance........

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/03/2018 20:50:54

Trevor09/03/2018 22:28:21
268 forum posts
29 photos

Another vote for Ivan Pettigrew’s designs. The plans are though hand drawn so anyone accustomed to the engineering precision of CAD drawn plans might find them to be a bit of a culture shock. However, I’ve yet to see an Ivan model that didn’t fly beautifully, regardless of the experience level of the builder.

Search RCGroups (or follow the link from Ivan’s website) to see links to lots of build threads and videos. And of course, anyone building an Ivan design is automatically enrolled in BIMBO! Again, search RCGroups for details.

Trevor

Piers Bowlan10/03/2018 05:20:03
1243 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:00:

Oh - that's the main attraction for me is the CNC kit (other than the lovely shape of the aircraft of course)! I hate cutting out formers for days on end. Any large-ish Catalina plan / parts out there that you know of?

Edited By Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:33

Andy this site may be of interest to you, if you haven't seen it before. These Bart Lamerse designs are all beautifully CNC cut and you can find images of them under construction on RC groups. There is not a PBY Catalina available unfortunately but there is a Shorts S23 Empire flying boat in two sizes (2.1m and 2.8m), the smaller based in Ivan Pettigrue's design. Also a Grumman Wigeon (2.1m), a Dornier 24K (2.8m) and a Dornier Wal (1.5m). They are all electric I think but could be easily modified for those into IC. The Wal really appeals to me, it is one of those 'marmite' designs I think and has the advantage of being more compact, not to mention not suffering from asymmetric problems, engine out.

I flew an electric Puddle Master years ago which was great fun but I can confirm that where flying boats are concerned, bigger is definitely better on a big lake.

Percy Verance10/03/2018 07:13:11
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hi PIers

Mmm, obviously aimed at the quality end of the market. Construction methods are based on Ivan Pettigrew's designs? Says it all really. From what I've seen, Ivan's designs are all well sorted and fly superbly. Certainly not for the inexperienced though......in either building or flying. I managed to get quite a few Keil Kraft rubber powered jobs into the air in my time, so Ivan's construction methods do seem vaguely familiar. Oddly, some of those Ivans plans build threads on RC Groups are quite compelling.........

I just loved Ivan's Bristol Freighter the moment I saw it........

And yes Piers, the bigger the better for water flying. I'd personally not go much smaller than 60 inch or so. My first waterplane was an ARC Cessna with the ARC float kit. It was fitted with floats from day 1, and never had wheels fitted during my ownership. A bit weighty, but that seemed to work in it's favour when there was a bit of a chop on the water. Ample power on it's Irvine .61 This was 10+ years ago. Do they still make them I wonder?

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/03/2018 07:34:30

Andy Meade10/03/2018 07:39:53
2308 forum posts
598 photos
Thanks for the link Piers - some lovely kits there. I am quite partial to Grumman Goose too! Hmm, food for thought.
Percy Verance10/03/2018 07:52:02
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Goose? Food for thought? And all before breakfast.....

It's a while back now Andy, but somewhere in the depths of the forum I remember someone developing/building a Grumman Goose, possibly to be released as a plan. I just can't recall who it was.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues