Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

RN Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Cooke14/04/2018 21:07:01
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

Nose is now blocked in top and bottom between F2 and F1.

nose block.jpg

I've deviated from the plan slightly and built up in 3/4" soft balsa parallel to the central fuselage datum piece, as opposed to sanding a draft angle and adding a 'capping' piece of sheeting - I've also extended F1 with light ply offcuts top and bottom - whereas the plan shows the angled sheet sitting onto the former flats.

Hopefully tomorrow the weather will prove ideal for a decent outdoor sanding session... thumbs up

Phil Cooke17/04/2018 09:51:02
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

A couple of hours spent with the razor plane and sanding block starts to reveal some of the Hurricane's distinctive curves...

nose shaping 1.jpg

nose shaping 2.jpg

Still needs a little bit more off all over as you can see from the spinner diameter traced onto F1.

Phil Cooke20/04/2018 21:41:13
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

I've spent a bit more time sanding this past day or so and the basic fuselage is now complete and shaped...just a bit more work to do around the cockpit area before I can add a cockpit floor and dashboard etc.

I started to lay-up the tailplane and fin, with a little alteration for scale around the elevators - now including the counterbalance section towards the tip. The layout below is as per plan - I noticed that if you reversed the tip pieces front to back you achieve the exact size of counterbalance needed for scale (in chord at least) - it still needed a little widening by stealing a piece of the tailplane.

tailplane 1.jpg

Here's a modified elevator on the board all glued up flat.

elevator.jpg

The fin was exactly as per plan - a medium/hard piece of 1/4 x 14" balsa was used as the fin post. No rudder being fitted on my model so this is all glued up flat on the board and is now ready for shaping.

fin.jpg

Prior to shaping I'm quite keen to add some surface detail to the tail and fin in an attempt to replicate some ribbing - more on that later.

Peter Garsden20/04/2018 23:45:40
1341 forum posts
927 photos

I'll give you a bit of ribbing about a bit of ribbing. Gufaw, gufaw, gufaw!!

Phil Cooke26/04/2018 16:04:52
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

I've spent a little time putting together the outer wing panels - once the 1/16" skins are made up and sized this is a very quick and easy task - the ribs fitted really well onto the spars and only a couple of them needed a tiny bit of shortening to ensure the sub TE was straight.

The position of the spars and ribs is marked onto the inside of the skins...

outer wing panel 1.jpg

and its all glued so its flat to the board at the spar and sub TE location - note the front of each rib is not glued as the skins need curving up to meet the ribs.

F3 was glued at the 2 degree angle using the supplied form.

outer wing panel 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 26/04/2018 16:06:01

Peter Garsden26/04/2018 18:43:52
1341 forum posts
927 photos

Looks like you're catching me up there our Phil.

I used medum cyano and accelerator to glue the front of the bottom sheet to the ribs once lifted off the board, and it worked fine.

I also find it works to make the sheet slightly too big so you can trim it afterwards. Otherwise it doesn't quite fit all round and you get gaps.

Phil Cooke27/04/2018 00:39:28
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

Yes the wing goes together very quickly Pete, especially so with the use of cyano where applicable. Tonight I've got the basic centre section done too, still in need of the sub T/E and L/E and the blocking in section rear of ribs 1 and 2.

centre wing panel.jpg

The outer panels are basically finished ready for the top sheeting but before I fit that I've just remembered I need to route some cabling for the landing light in the leading edge! Just one light will be made operational as per Danny's original wiring diagram!

Martin Gay27/04/2018 08:48:11
36 forum posts
8 photos

This photo, uploaded by John H. Rood, clearly shows both landing lights illuminated!802681.jpeg

Phil Cooke27/04/2018 09:16:49
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

Yeah I saw that Martin - good picture! It shows Hangar 11s Hurricane, G-HHII 'BE505' - the Hurribomber! (recently sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. btw where it is in line for a big conversion again!)

I'm guessing the twin light operation was a recent mod as a potential safety aid when being flown privately... many of them have a lot of operational kit removed to save weight and are then fitted out with modern day systems like Sat Navs to aid navigation (even the BBMF fighters have this!) and improve safety.

I freely admit it does look better with two lamps in operation, but I'm going to stay with one as Danny's drawings suggest it was originally built (and at the same time I'll halve the cost and weight and battery consumption on my model too!)

Phil Cooke29/04/2018 10:07:53
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

A little more work done on the centre section, now effectively complete with sub L/E and T/E and ready for the top skins, again once I've routed some cabling for the light to be fitted in the outer panel.

centre wing panel 2.jpg

I've gone for a 2 servo wing just like the previous JP and A-4 Mass Builds, the additional flexibility this gives on set up (with flapperons/draggerons if needed) plus redundancy (I had to fly my JP on 1 aileron at an event last year!) makes this a stronger solution IMO.

centre wing panel 3.jpg

The spacing required between the 2 little servos (I've chosen to use a pair of HS65MG+) means you don't have to cut out any material from the 1/4" rib R1. A simple box arrangement (sized and shaped as R1) will seat the top sheeting when applied.

Peter Garsden29/04/2018 22:42:27
1341 forum posts
927 photos
Interesting. I cut out the central rib but didn't need to. I am using HS82mg which are a bit bigger but not much.

I used some spare spruce from the wing spars for the servo rails.
Phil Cooke02/05/2018 11:55:05
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

With the basic wing panels complete awaiting their top skins, I've had to sort the Leading Edge landing lights out before much more progress can be made...

Has anyone else looked into this yet??

From 3-view drawings I sized the lamps for 1/9th scale at something like 16-18mm diameter. However because we are using a well proven glider section in this build and not the 'bull nosed' deep chord wing section used on the real Hurricane a light at this diameter simply will not fit in the location required. In fact we need to use reflectors no bigger than 12mm in diameter if we are to squeeze them into the wings just behind the Leading Edge.

I've placed an order with Ross Mansell at 'Lighting for Aeromodellers' LINK who offered some nice looking components that should suit ideally. The parts arrived the very next day - excellent service once you have placed your order via email.

lighting kit.jpg

The chromed reflectors are 12mm OD and suit the 5mm 'Powerchip' LED which is shown at the front, supplied with the tailored resistor for my chosen 4.8V supply (I'll be running the lights from the high capacity RX NiMH battery I'm fitting up front - they will only be switched on temporarily during any flight and this has worked just fine in the past on other models like my BAe Hawk)

The small circuit and extension lead shown is the 2 ch R/C switch unit also available from Ross, its fully configurable for 1 or 2 lights from a R/C single channel and weighs in at just 4g.

Once I've made some little mounts for the reflectors and proven they will slip in under the skins in the outer panels it's time for a little soldering work before we can get back to the balsa bashing!

Mark Kettle 102/05/2018 12:33:50
2120 forum posts
1290 photos

Nice addition Phil, will you be trying to make / fit the 3 x 120 degree spider spines seen on in front of the Hurricane reflectors ?

Trevor02/05/2018 12:43:44
290 forum posts
40 photos

Perfect timing Phil! I just spent a couple of hours looking into this very issue and ended up totally confused. I agree that 10-12mm is the maximum size that could be accommodated. Your selection looks good so I’ll probably follow suit.

Trevor

Phil Cooke02/05/2018 13:03:47
2116 forum posts
1477 photos
Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 02/05/2018 12:33:50:

Nice addition Phil, will you be trying to make / fit the 3 x 120 degree spider spines seen on in front of the Hurricane reflectors ?

No I don't think so Mark - with the diameter of the reflectors falling way short of scale they really wouldn't look right so Ill just be using the frosted covers as supplied.

Mark Kettle 102/05/2018 13:08:00
2120 forum posts
1290 photos

There'd be really small to do.

Phil Cooke05/05/2018 14:32:29
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

The reflectors at 12mm O/D have little clear covers supplied with them which increase the O/D to 13mm - so its this depth we have to ensure we have clearance for between the top and bottom skins when positioning the lights in the wing... I think in reality this will see them set too far back from the extreme LE for true scale - due to the thickness (or slimness!) of our chosen PSS section - but they will still operate just fine.

I'm building some little 'D shaped' light boxes using 1/8" balsa semi-ribs - positioning them from a 3-view suggests the box needs to be ~30mm wide and bridges Rib 5 as shown. Once the back wall is positioned the forward section of Rib 5 will be removed.

lighting kit 2.jpg

The red line is a vertical line on the rib measuring 13mm - so this is where the front of the reflector needs to reside (its 20mm back from the front face of the sub L/E) and with this I can now size and position the back wall - into which the reflector will be fitted. I'll make it from 1/8" balsa lined with 1/32" ply.

When the doorbell rang this morning I received my 1/9th scale Battle of Britain pilot and RR Merlin bifurcated exhausts, 3D printed parts from RMP - both of which will finish the model nicely! Many thanks to Sean at Real Model Pilots - brilliant product as always!

rmp pilot.jpg

rmp exhausts.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/05/2018 14:34:11

Trevor05/05/2018 15:00:00
290 forum posts
40 photos

Thanks for sharing this Phil. My LEDs and reflectors arrived this morning, also from Ross Mansell who was very helpful. Are you going to point the reflectors downwards a bit? Like you, I got a pack of 5 reflectors so there's enough to experiment a bit with mounting or even shaving a bit off top and bottom to bring them forward a little?

Anyway, I'm still trying to hold off from making a start on this project but I have just spent the last couple of hours placing orders for all the other bits and pieces so I've perhaps taken a few steps down the slippery slope!

Trevor

Phil Cooke08/05/2018 19:07:47
2116 forum posts
1477 photos

I've got a bit more work done on the L/E light installation - which due to the need for wiring leadout is stopping me adding the top sheeting to the (otherwise complete) wing panels...

In the last build photo I'd drawn a red line at 13mm depth to axially position the reflector - in actual fact you can afford to come further forward than that as I'm removing the 1/16th skins top and bottom and replacing them locally with much thinner acetate sheet... this enables the reflectors to come forward a few more mm and improves scale (although they will always be too far back in the wing with our chosen section!)

Each outer wing panel received a basic kit of parts, a pair of sub-ribs, a reflector mount plate (balsa with a 1/64" ply face) and the reflector itself...

lights 1.jpg

The parts in position with leading edge removed and lower skins trimmed - bridging Rib 5 which has to be cut away (more will have to be removed to allow the wiring to exit without binding) The boxes internal dimensions are 28mm wide and 21mm deep from the front of the sub L/E. Once acetate is put over the box I'll make the actual transparent section smaller the required 25mm width with paint masks.

lights 2.jpg

I've tried my best to replicate the full-size geometry - with the boxes built perpendicular to the swept LE angle but with the light angled forwards and slightly down. Hopefully this will all work out ok!? Time to do some soldering!

lights 3.jpg

Peter Garsden08/05/2018 19:12:30
1341 forum posts
927 photos

I think I am just going to use a very large torch from the ground, held by a small helper shining up at a mirror on the aircraft wing. You just won't notice until I land?

Just a little tip from the Scale Police?

In case I am arrested in the next few minutes, the above comment was sardonic, disrespectful, cynical, and not in accordance with the sort of discipline I usually display.

I wish I knew a good lawyer?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 08/05/2018 19:17:56

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues