Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

RN Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Cooke22/05/2018 23:13:20
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

A bit more work done on the wing lights following a short break from the build - the SWSA Bwlch PSS event on 12th/13th May and a quick trip to the Mach Loop last week have both kept me busy editing photos on the PC in the evenings instead of seeing me in the garage - anyway - back to business now!

I've soldered up the one working light and tested it through the R/C switch and a newly bound Rx. I had to cut away a section of Rib R5 for the wiring to clear - it then has to pass through each rib to the servo box area in the centre panel.

lights 4.jpg

Couldn't resist a little bench illumination test for the camera

lights 5.jpg

With the lights installed I just need to secure the wiring in the outer panel before adding the top sheet and setting the required washout. The sub LE, TE and blocks for hinges and torque rod mounts are all sanded to the aerofoil section so the top skins are now ready to be fitted.

Piers Bowlan23/05/2018 04:40:27
1512 forum posts
41 photos

Impressive - looks bright! Which LED unit are you using Phil?

Phil Cooke23/05/2018 08:50:10
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Hi Piers - yes it's bright! smile d

The LED is a 5mm dia 'Powerchip' unit from 'Lighting for Aeromodellers' LINK

Trevor24/05/2018 17:57:58
319 forum posts
47 photos

Phil, the lights look very promising. I’m just about to do the light cutouts for mine, but measuring up the 3-View on Wikipedia seems to put the landing light comfortably outboard of R5. Could it be that there is some variation in the positioning or, shock horror, Wikipedia may not be wholly accurate

Trevor

Phil Cooke04/06/2018 08:14:46
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Hi Trevor - sorry for slow response Ive been away on holiday with limited access to the forum.

Certainly no variation in the positioning of the lights on the full-size - this was std across all marks, obviously there are a lot of 3 views on the web, some better than others, I would cross ref against another drawing if poss.

Trevor05/06/2018 07:45:59
319 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks Phil. In the end, I compromised and put the light just outboard of R5. That way I only had to make one sub-rib instead of two. As long as we keep this to ourselves, I don't think anyone will notice smiley

img_1595.jpg

Phil Cooke08/06/2018 17:32:49
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

I've deviated from the design intent a little and done some work on the wing joiners ahead of fitting the top skins to the outer wing panels. As drawn, you would top skin all panels then cut full depth slots for the wing joiners so they pass through both the upper and lower skins, fit the joiner with the required dihedral then sand the excess joiner material back flush. This binds the skins to the joiners/spar assembly and helps transfer the flight loads into the skins.

All well proven on the prototype and many other designs before it, including of course the JP and A-4.

There is another way which I thought I'd try in an attempt to eliminate the breaking of the skins and the sanding back of the ply joiner. This method also enables you to more confidently get a good joint between wing joiner and spar which is fitted and glued 'blind' when employing the other method.

First, as others have already done, to improve the gluing area I added some 3mm balsa in between the top and bottom spars, flush to the front face where the joiner will finally reside.

joiner 1.jpg

I then cut slots in the end ribs ahead of the spars, taking care not to break through the bottom skins. The joiners were then dry fitted and trimmed down in height so that they sat flush with the top surface of the ribs and upper spar. I also just trimmed a little to length to ensure the wing ribs fully mated at the Rib 3 joint line. The joiners were then glued with epoxy into the outer panels.

joiner 2.jpg

To give more surface area to bind the top skin to the spar/joiner assembly I added some lengths of 1/4" triangular stock to the front face of the joiner, top and bottom. The same can be done in the centre section once the outer panels are skinned and attached. The outer panels are now ready to have the washout built in and the top skins fitted.

joiner 3.jpg

Phil Cooke08/06/2018 23:29:57
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Made up the top skins then ran out of jobs other than sanding which I don't do indoors at night anymore... so I blocked in the radiator and made up the wingtips.

radiator 2.jpg

Phil Cooke09/06/2018 13:42:50
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Top skins trimmed up and now added to the two outer panels, building in the required 2 degrees washout with the 1/16" strip running along the sub T/E.

top skins 1.jpg

Plenty of aliphatic used on all mating surfaces...smile d

...before the sheet is positioned centrally, pinned and then battened along the sub T/E and sub L/E.

top skins 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 09/06/2018 13:53:58

Phil Cooke10/06/2018 22:27:50
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

I got the wing panels joined today. party

First the outer panels had their top skins trimmed and sanded back, a dry fit into the centre section proved I needed to shorten my ply wing joiners by about 2mm to avoid a bind allowing the wings to fully mate at Rib 3.  I joined the panels one at a time as sadly my building board was 2" too short to allow both wings to be chocked for the required dihedral simultaneously...

You can see how this method allows full open access to the joiner - ensuring a robust glue joint across a bigger area...I used 20 minute epoxy on all joints.

wing join 1.jpg

Second panel added once the first had enjoyed a 3 hour setting period. Centre section now gets the top skin - should all be down hill from there on I hope.

wing join 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/06/2018 22:29:28

Trevor11/06/2018 08:34:03
319 forum posts
47 photos

Looking good Phil. I'm one step behind, being midway through top-skinning the outer panels before joining them as you have done. However, I'm thinking of fitting and roughly shaping the trailing edges and wing tips to the outer panels first, just for ease of handling. Once I start waving 50in of wing around the workshop, Hangar rash will become a big issue!

Trevor

Phil Cooke11/06/2018 09:06:51
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Hi Trevor,

Glad your wing build is progressing well - have you gone for separate servos in each wing? Otherwise you physically can't fit the T/E until after the wing is joined as you have to mount the torque rods first.

As for the tips, some care on the order of build there too - I always find it best to fit dry the ailerons to ensure the tips are best aligned, with the washout this needs careful alignment to avoid mismatch and oversanding - the thin central ply laminate in the tip should align with the extreme T/E of the aileron stock. The aileron itself needs a little 'twist' building into it to replicate the 2 degrees washout in the outermost ribs.

Phil Cooke11/06/2018 22:59:12
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Centre panel wing skins now added...

top skins 3.jpg

Trevor12/06/2018 08:09:03
319 forum posts
47 photos

. . . and suddenly it looks as if it might fly!

Thanks for the reminder about the torque rods. I am in fact using separate aileron servos so that's one less worry. I've just offered up the TE stock to the false TE, aligning it with the upper wing surface at the root end of the outboard panel and lining it up with the underside at the tip. Viewed from the rear, this shows the washout quite clearly so I think I'll try to carve the washout into the TE stock rather than trying to twist the wood, which I fear could result in a bowed trailing edge. I'll let you know how it goes!

Trevor12/06/2018 08:59:00
319 forum posts
47 photos

Just in case my word picture isn't crystal clear (!), here's a photo which may or may not help. This shows the degree of 'twist' achievable by utilising the excess depth of the 1/2in thick TE stock. It will entail sanding down the wood on top at the tip and on the underside at the panel joint. It looks like enough washout to me, but I'd be interested if someone who has gone the 'twisted aileron' route could take a similar picture.

img_1636.jpg

dirk tinck13/06/2018 23:42:35
126 forum posts
217 photos

20180613_231453.jpgHi,Trevor ,don't now if you can see in the pictures ,

my ailerons have 2.5mm of twist and that fits my wings perfect ! sorry they are upside down20180613_231310.jpg

Edited By dirk tinck on 13/06/2018 23:43:38

dirk tinck14/06/2018 16:36:53
126 forum posts
217 photos

20180613_231310.jpgIt looks like something went wrong ?I'll try again20180613_231453.jpg

Edited By dirk tinck on 14/06/2018 16:37:02

Phil Cooke19/06/2018 23:24:56
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

A bit more progress on the wing, with the torque rods now fitted into the sub T/E (I still need to fit the full T/E), the Leading Edges are fitted with the scarfed joint and the tips have been carefully positioned ensuring the ply inserts align with the centre of the L/E and the T/E of the aileron with the washout applied.

wing te.jpg

wing le.jpg

Trevor20/06/2018 08:30:13
319 forum posts
47 photos

Ooh, I do like that tape!!

I'm still a couple of steps behind - L.E. and tips fitted to outer panels and panels joined, but the centre section still needs the upper sheeting and leading and trailing edges fitted.

Trevor

Phil Cooke25/06/2018 16:19:38
2168 forum posts
1504 photos

Torque rods now encapsulated by the T/E which was glued flat on the board so the bottom surfaces were co-planar - this means there's some sanding to do on the upper surfaces to blend them together.

I carefully masked and used Vaseline to ensure the torquerods weren't grabbed by the epoxy I used to glue the T/E to the wing. Seems to have worked ok. One of 'those' jobs I think we all hate doing...

torquerodsa.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us