Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ace seamaster 40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance14/03/2018 18:05:26
6492 forum posts
110 photos

I've flown several of these over the years, and did eventually buy one for myself. I flew it several times, but remained unimpressed. There are better designed models out there of similar style, notably the Boddo designed Sea Prince. Slightly larger yet lighter than the Seamonster Seamaster, and flies *lighter* too. Far too much plywood in the Seamonster in my humble opinion.

Piers Bowlan14/03/2018 20:56:41
1243 forum posts
36 photos

Yes, Boddo produced many great designs but his Sea Prince seems to have fallen off Google's radar - unless you happen to have a photo Percy?

The Sea Master has been a very successful design but how well it flies probably depends to some degree on how heavy it is, which in turn no doubt depends in which Chinese factory it was built! Ace RC produced kits for both the Seamster and puddlemaster back in the day and their kits generally used quality lightweight balsa. My puddle master flew on just a buggy motor although it flew somewhat better when I subsequently upgraded to one of the 'new out' Jeti Phasor BL motors.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/03/2018 20:57:43

Percy Verance14/03/2018 21:49:27
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Piers

The Boddo Sea Prince appeared in one of the *other* magazines a good few years ago Piers. I still have the plan somewhere, but since I moved house a while back there have been a number of items I've not seen since before the move!

The Sea Prince was 70 inch span, with an engine pod on top of the wing a la Seamaster. It has a somewhat deeper, more attractive shape to the fuselage. It also has a more pronounced "V" on the underside too, and so handled better in the water than did the Seamonster. It was all typical Boddo style construction, and anyone who has built a Boddo job will recognise the way it's constructed straight away. My own example was sold on a good few years ago to a bloke who vary rarely flew it from water. I haven't seen him or the model for a few years now, and I don't know if he still flies it. And to make matters worse Piers, I can't recall the name of the mag it was in now either. It's one of those titles which has long since vanished I think. I've stirred my own curiosity now though, and I'll have a bit of a dig and see if I can find it.......

If I remember correctly Piers, the Sea Prince plan also offered a twin option too.......and the twin version looked a bit Grumman Widgeon-ish.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/03/2018 21:58:08

Percy Verance14/03/2018 22:02:59
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Is/was there a magazine called AMI Piers? That appears to ring a bell when I give it some thought.......

trebor14/03/2018 22:14:40
1550 forum posts
191 photos

The Sea Prince looks like a nice plane with twin engines **LINK**

Percy Verance15/03/2018 05:28:11
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Well found trebor! yes

Yes, it's not a bad model actually. Those extra spray rails are probably a good idea. It doesn't seem to matter what you do or how careful you try on take-off, spray always goes through the prop(s).  Not over keen on the foam wing idea. Built up wing shown on the plan - including the twin mods as I recall.

Again, well found.

Model Flyer magazine? I'm not sure I remember that??

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/03/2018 05:42:50

Piers Bowlan15/03/2018 07:53:21
1243 forum posts
36 photos

A nice looking model Percy particularly the twin but I feel electric is the way to go. As you say spray is the problem and whilst the spray strakes help, moving the engines out (and up) away from being drenched is one solution. Unfortunately that tends to exacerbate the asymmetric problem when an engine stops (I said when, not if!). V-hulls are definitely better than the flat underside of the Seamster and Puddlemaster regarding water handling. Something I noticed with flying boats is that beamy hulls are also better, as are light models of course, floating higher in the water.

An excellent design, judging by the uTube video, is Ton van Munsteren's 45in span 'Wave', a free plan in the Oct 2009 RCM&E. I haven't built one although it is on 'the list'. The build blog is here if anyone is interested.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/03/2018 08:01:58

Geoff Jackson15/03/2018 10:03:38
153 forum posts
3 photos

I bought a Maxford Neptune at Cosford last year. Waiting on maiden at Ullswater this year. Its still available. Goes together well.

Percy Verance15/03/2018 13:35:11
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Piers

Moving the engines a bit won't make much difference I'm afraid (I've been there, got the wet tee shirt!). Even the very tips of the wings get spray on them. There's little you can do apart from protecting from water ingress. You can hear the spray going through the prop on the take-off run.Those dedicated car switches - popular with car racers because they're encased in rubber - were very popular at one time, but don't seem to be around anymore. The pushrod exits need sealing with vaseline - the list goes on. Water is thin stuff though, and it will get in somewhere. Lots of useful do's and don'ts on the Windermere Waterplane site for anyone fancying a go though.

And yes, electric would be the way to go, particularly for a waterplane twin. yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/03/2018 13:46:05

onetenor17/03/2018 01:07:33
1647 forum posts

If you Google Sea Prince model aircraft you get some pics of Percival P47 nice aircraft but not what we are looking for is it ?

Piers Bowlan17/03/2018 02:40:04
1243 forum posts
36 photos

I agree absolutely regarding water ingress, despite my best efforts (duct tape and vaseline around hatches) water would get in everywhere. I glassed the fuselage, waterproofed the battery bay, and sealed all the film joints on the wings and tailplane. Still, that was part of the challenge. The biggest surprise to me was how the motor would keep running despite being hosed down with water. Even when the model was flipped over on it's back by a strong gust one day, the motor would continue to run, albeit slowly, when submerged in water. After being retrieved by the club rescue boat and when I got it home I shook as much water from the ESC as I could and placed it and the motor on the radiator to dry out. To this day the dunking had no ill effect on the motor or ESC, just as well it wasn't sea water!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/03/2018 02:40:55

trebor17/03/2018 09:33:36
1550 forum posts
191 photos
Posted by onetenor on 17/03/2018 01:07:33:

If you Google Sea Prince model aircraft you get some pics of Percival P47 nice aircraft but not what we are looking for is it ?

Whilst I was googling I came across the Grumman goose which I've fallen in love with but weather one would be a good flyer if I could find a plan.

Phil Claridge20/03/2018 16:01:55
1921 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Trebor. Photos of Grumman Goose? as requested. More in Album.

grumman5.jpg

Phil Claridge21/03/2018 10:23:41
1921 forum posts
32 photos

hi bob , the plane has a 63in wing span by 12in chord. the fusalage is 55in, looks like a goose but engine fairings are squared off not rounded?

Phil Claridge21/03/2018 13:25:41
1921 forum posts
32 photos

this plane is now for sale with two irvine 25,s all servoes £40

Percy Verance21/03/2018 16:53:29
6492 forum posts
110 photos

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Aquastar is a smaller version of the Sig Sealane. Certainly, the Sealane kit appealed to me when it first hit the market a few years back. I've now sold mine, but wish I'd kept it now....

P.S. Alan. Re; my recent enquiry. Earlier post regarding LMA/SAA insurance noted! yes

Bob Cotsford21/03/2018 19:56:55
7215 forum posts
406 photos
Posted by Phil Claridge on 21/03/2018 13:25:41:

this plane is now for sale with two irvine 25,s all servoes £40

Wherabouts in the country are you Phil?

ok, your profile says Chichester, too far for me!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/03/2018 19:58:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues