Forum sponsored by CML

Rearwin Speedster 6000

2019 Indoor R/C Nationals Candidate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Martyn K14/03/2018 16:22:26
4588 forum posts
3198 photos

So the 2018 Indoor Nationals didn't happen - sadly called off due to the 'Beast from the East'. It did actually save my personal embarrassment as my little Fokker EIII didn't perform quite as well as expected. I did learn something from the experience and that was don't leave it so late for next year. I also learnt that it may be better to choose an easier prototype.

Flying indoors was not as stressful as I thought it would be, there is more space than expected and the setting is actually quite relaxed. Great fun. However, for next year, I want a model ready for the start of the indoor season so have been looking for a candidate.

I have always liked the charm of period 1930's aircraft and I have been looking at this aircraft as a build candidate for a couple of years now. Its NC15865, the 2nd prototype Rearwin Speedster 6000 (not the later M variant) which is still operational in the USA. Fortunately, there are several decent photos of it on the internet - hopefully enough to build my scale dossier.

Working from a 6000M 3-view, there are some differences - mainly a different fin and cabin window layout and a slightly different cowl to accommodate a different powerplant. Fortunately, I have been able to extrapolate the correct dimensions and shape from the photos that are available. It should be accurate enough.

I am building this at 1/10 scale giving a wingspan of 975mm or thereabouts. Target mass will be 150g - but I'll be happy if its less than 175g.

Its going to be a slow build, I need to finish some models before I start another one like this but hopefully it will be completed by October.

rearwin-6000-plan-v1.jpg

The plan looks like this at the moment - mainly a tracing from the 3v but with some structure being added. It will have 2 x 3mm square balsa/carbon composite spars to help keep the wing strong, straight and stiff, the rest will be mainly traditional stick and tissue construction.

1280px-rearwin_speedster_(nc15865).jpg

Getting those wheel spats and undercarriage fairing built light will be a challenge

1315095-large.jpg

This image shows the earlier fin and cockpit variance - transposed to my plan.

More to come.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 14/03/2018 16:36:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues