By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Whatever happened to..........

those models that seem to have disappeared....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DCW29/08/2008 19:39:00
88 forum posts
28 photos

If you have owned or seen a model in the past and would like to know if it is still available or what happened to it, this thread is for you. Someone somewhere will know.

I'll start it off by asking whatever happened to the Mini Racer....This was a little pylon racer glider, about 1.5 mtr span, foam wings and fibre glass fuselage. It had a flat bottomed wing section and an all-moving tail, it also looked good, unlike the 'f'aomies' we have today.

It also soared well, easily out-performing similar gliders.   any ideas?

simon barr29/08/2008 20:17:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hello David,

If I am not mistaken, this was produced by Sailplanes International along with the Ridge Racer. I only vaguely remember seeing a Ridge Racer on our slopes, but I don't remember much about it.

I think Sailplanes International, and its power side of the company, Powerplanes International went bust in the mid eighties.....But I apologies if I am wrong.

DCW29/08/2008 20:34:00
88 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Simon.

Yes I think  you're  right.  Come to think about it, I may still have the plan somewhere, but without that glass fuselage and blue tinted canopy I don't  think that it would look much.

Min.29/08/2008 21:14:00
8 forum posts

What happend to ----------Kamco Kadet,a great trainer for a 35 or 40 the kit cost £14 and it was good quality.

What happened to------Waterhouse and Ely,Superfly another blast from the past.

What happened to Skyleader Radio ? These were all good in their day.

What happend to the Radio Modeller,magazine?I think we were about to leave Balsa Cement and started to use that white glue that took ages to dry.

Min.

DCW29/08/2008 22:20:00
88 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Min.

I don't think that I can help you much here, certainly some of the names are familiar.

Radio Modeller I do remember. (Almost as good as RCM&E), They were good to me and covered one or two of my exploits very well.

David

Chris Channon30/08/2008 20:05:00
57 forum posts
1 photos

The Barrie Lever Warrior, and the Preceptor?

Preceptor was a semi'ish kit,  but flew well.

Anyone got a Warrior kit for sale?

Regards

Chris

flytilbroke30/08/2008 21:57:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos
Limbo Dancer as an ARTF Kit. Seems to me an awful lot of guys want one, yet do not want to copy, cut, and build from the plans which a number of modelers have.
Eric Bray30/08/2008 22:02:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

The Ridge Racer, was a large, rather fragile, foam veneer wing, glass fuselage model that was NOT a racer! It floated around quite well in a light breeze, but blew away if the midges did!

There was a Ridge Recruit, too, same fuselage, but a dihedral wing for r + e. 

Does anyone recall a glass/foam sloper model called the Slim Pig? Eppler 374 section, 36" span, and once tamed, flew like a dream. 

Or one called Warlock, fish-profile fuselage, foam plug on wings and amt? I had one of those, too, caused great hilarity when one of the tailplane halves fell off in flight! It wasn't particularly fast, and had rather poor directional stability. (Dare I put - it fishtailed in flight?)

I've still got the wing.

Then there was the Plus Three, made as a trainer with a dihedral wing, or a semi, with some dihedral and ailerons, or a fully aerobatic with a flat wing, sharing a common fuselage. That one spawned many variants up on Winter Hill.

Bob Cotsford30/08/2008 22:55:00
7980 forum posts
439 photos

Jolly Roger Executive  - my first really succesful attempt at propo rc.  Edmonds Model Products soarers - I've still got an Apex(?) - abs fuselage, foam wing all moving ele aerobatic job.

Jim Davies models?  there's a name from the past, at least in the Midlands.  

00131/08/2008 08:39:00
2212 forum posts
1 photos

What happened to Aerotech models, the range of warbirds with a balsa box fuselage and veneered foam 'contours'?  They seemed to be very popular but then suddenly disappeared. The benefit of bringing them back today, in an age of shiny ARTF military aircraft, would be that the builder could cover his model in his preferred manner without having to get out the Brillo pad! They would also make good electric conversions.

I think that there was a B25 and a B17 and possibly a Lancaster as well as the usual WW2 fighters. So where are the patterns and moulds now. The last time I saw them advertised was by Arrow Models I think?

Myron Beaumont31/08/2008 09:06:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Does anyone remember the "Peacemaker" an extremely aerobatic C/Liner  - stunter of sorts from the 60's ? I'm thinking it would make a good basis for an EDF ( ihink it was a George Eldrich design if my memory serves me right (Eric will know! )  For some reason it would loop on a "sixpence" without any coupled flaps !    Would love a copy of the plan to modify ie dihedral included cos I think the shapes are pretty critical .There are many "lookalikes " but none as far as I know with its amazing performance at the time   Help !!
simon barr31/08/2008 09:14:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Myron,

I think I've got a plan somewhere...I'll have a look.

Do you remember the spin-off from the profile version of the PM called the Flite Streak? I had a couple of these in the late '70's

Myron Beaumont31/08/2008 09:21:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Hi Simon -What a quick response !   Yes the name rings a bell ( crank Eh! )  sorry couldnt resist it ! But thats about all  Was it a kit or a plan ?  Seems as if  I'm maybe 10 years out on my recollections .

Thanks   Myron

James Hindle31/08/2008 09:22:00
210 forum posts
121 photos

The slim pig that takes me back to my yoof on the slopes of Baildon Moor in a howling gale with Pengy (Paul Garnett) I was taming the pig when it stalled into a flat ish spin, faced with the dilema of 'if I move it will hit me' I stayed put and yes it hit me right between my legs ! Pengy almost lost his model rolling obout the floor laughing. 

I ended up going to the doctor for a tetanus jab as the nose was full of lead and I didn't need any more in my dangly bits, the nurse fell about laughing when I told her the story.

The model resurfaced the other week at our site and I towed it up 'high' for posterity, safe to say it beat the tug down !

Another one from saiplanes international the Axle, I loved my Axle, all moving wing it went like a rocket, the mechanism to control the wings wasn't very robust and the servo stalled on full lock which combined with a rock at Nant Sarah's didn't help matters, I'd love another one with today's technology I'm sure we could improve the mechanism

simon barr31/08/2008 10:58:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Myron,

In its day, the Flite Streak was a kit by Topflite, but I see in the SMC catalogue that TF are now doing it artf !

Do you remember the smaller Keil Kraft version for a 1.5 cc called the Gazelle?

By the way, I have found that plan for the built-up version of the Peace Maker if you would like it.

Simon.

Sheldon Holy31/08/2008 13:23:00
237 forum posts
105 photos
Min. wrote (see)

What happend to ----------Kamco Kadet,a great trainer for a 35 or 40 the kit cost £14 and it was good quality.

What happened to------Waterhouse and Ely,Superfly another blast from the past.

What happened to Skyleader Radio ? These were all good in their day.

What happend to the Radio Modeller,magazine?I think we were about to leave Balsa Cement and started to use that white glue that took ages to dry.

Min.

I was given an old superfly not that long ago, a bit broken due to a crash, but i fibreglassed it back up and it flies a treat. I'm pretty sure that the company 'vanished'. But, a plane that is almost identical is the
ARC Ready 2.

Sheldon

Eric Bray31/08/2008 15:20:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

My slim pig didn't have lead in the nose, but I did have three servos and a mixer in there, as well as a Reftec uhf housebrick rx and a 500 mill nicad!

Three servos - for ail and ele, the third one was flaps, the mixer was mechanical, a sort of servo disk with a bar across it, on which were three ball-joints. The centre ball, positioned over the servo disk screw, went to the ele servo, and the two outers went to the ail's. So the ele servo pushed/pulled on the middle ball, and the ail servo twisted the whole contraption! It worked surprisingly well! This was pre- in tx mixers, of course!

It was a tough little beast, still lurking in a cormer of the loft, on bits and minus the canopy. It's only fault was the thick sheet fin, and the flimsy tailplane mount. So every time the tailplane caught a tuft of grass, on landing, it snapped the fin diagonally up the grain. My fin ended up more epoxy than wood!

Myron Beaumont31/08/2008 17:10:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Simon

Fantastic !!!!    Thank you so much .   If you can (& I dont know how ) is it possible to send it on this internet thingy? It doesnt matter if its a bit small etc cos I can allow for that ( I hope ! ) 'Er indoors says she can print it off on her super computer  & then I could possibly blow it up or scale it up for the gear I have

Thanks  Myron 

simon barr31/08/2008 17:26:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Myron,

Now you are asking the impossible, I have only just got to grips with writing these forum threads.     

It would probably be best if you send me your address via "message member" and I'll send them to you....that's if you don't mind giving your address out.

Simon.

Myron Beaumont31/08/2008 18:08:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Simon  Understood ! I dont even understand how to do the "Message member" thing  . All I can do is make things !  I dont have what you might call a proper address (thanks to various circumstances, but my E mail no is myron.beaumont@btinternet .com .

If its as much a problem for you as it is for me -dont worry about it  I understand completely

Thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us