By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Reserve Model engine choice for the Coupe Des Barons Competition.

I face a bit of a dilemna and your assistance is eagerly sort.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Davis04/01/2019 18:16:44
3368 forum posts
591 photos

This is a picture of the 2018 survivors, plus a few odd components. I count 23 intact aircraft but some of those have been repaired during the course of the competition. Since 68 Barons started that's about a 66% attrition rate!

the survivors.jpg

My club are entering a team of seven this year. I'll let you know how we get on, it's a long time till September!

David Davis12/01/2019 07:00:46
3368 forum posts
591 photos

If I may crave your indulgence one more time gentlemen I have a question about propellers. I find that I already own three 10 x 8 APC propellers which I've never used. I will use these for the speed events as suggested above. For the baguettes and limbo rounds, where sheer speed is not so important, a 13 x 5 propeller was suggested. I cannot find a propeller of this size with any supplier but a 13 x 4 Wide is available from Steve Webb. So three questions:

1. I have 13 x 6 and 14 x 4 props in stock. Could I use one of these on a 52 four stroke?
  2. If not can you suggest a supplier of 13 x 5 props?
  3. Given the choice between a Wide prop and an ordinary prop, which would you recommend for this purpose?

Boris has had so many engine changes that the firewall looked like a piece of Swiss Cheese so I filled all of the holes with dowel, all thirteen of them, and epoxied a 1mm pice of ply to the front.Subsequently, the firewall has been fuel proofed with epoxy resin and a Magnum 52 has been installed.

thirteen holes.jpg

McG 696912/01/2019 08:59:00
2525 forum posts
977 photos

Hi David,

If a wooden prop is OK for your Magnum, you can find some here at AliExpress. I paid €12 for 2 pieces 13x5 for my Vicomte.

They are a prop factory and you'll find 13x4s up to 13x8s. Their full range goes from 10" diam. up to 18" in natural wood color or painted black or white.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us