By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Nice Cartoon

This popped up this morning on a cartoon site I look at.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Plummet27/03/2018 11:41:48
1391 forum posts
41 photos

**LINK**

Plummet

Peter Christy27/03/2018 11:53:25
1487 forum posts

And very true! wink

--

Pete

Chris Walby27/03/2018 12:29:07
943 forum posts
226 photos

Confused..what's the one thing you should not do with an autogiro that you would do with a stalling fixed wing aircraft?

If I was in a stalling aircraft I would power up and nose down... so why does that not work with an autogyro?

stu knowles27/03/2018 13:35:42
560 forum posts
44 photos

I read that negative G is instant disaster for an autogyro. I know from model sizes that up elevator tends to increase the speed of the rotor so maybe forward stick tends to slow the rotor, killing of what bit of lift that you have along with any unfortunate human on board sad

Only a guess though

Someone will be along who knows I'm sure

Peter Christy27/03/2018 14:34:44
1487 forum posts

DON'T PUSH THE STICK FORWARD! It will lead to immediate mast bumping, and either the rotor-head will fly off, or it will boom-strike. That's what happened at the (in)famous Farnborough crash.

The pilot let it over-speed - not in itself dangerous, as an auto-gyro will try and pitch up in such a situation, thus reducing the speed automatically. However, when it pitched up, the pilot shoved forward and it boom-struck. It was a mistake he never repeated, alas!

Apparently the pilot was very experienced on fixed wing, but had little time on autogyros, and must have acted instinctively.

**LINK**

--

Pete

Tom Sharp 227/03/2018 23:59:49
3428 forum posts
17 photos

Always fancied an Autogyro, but from the above, best leave it alone.

Mark Stevens 128/03/2018 06:10:23
116 forum posts
48 photos

Chris - As both Stuart and Pete have correctly pointed out, don't push the stick forward on an Autogyro. The mast bumping bit / losing the whole rotorhead speaks for itself.

On other machines with a slightly more rigid head, you will find putting the nose down into a dive actually stops the rotors spinning mean you go into a rapid dive until you pull out to get the rotors spinning up again.

It has been done as a party trick with some model autogyros, I'm sure you can do it quite well on some of the DB designs. I would not try it on the designs that use direct control to the head though.

Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us