Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Coupe Des Barons.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor16/09/2019 18:51:26
1906 forum posts
214 photos

Just watched the whole video yes looks like you had fun. The folks with the cow bells want shooting.

David Davis16/09/2019 19:03:23
3399 forum posts
598 photos
Posted by trebor on 16/09/2019 18:51:26:

Just watched the whole video yes looks like you had fun. The folks with the cow bells want shooting.

They were probably drunk by the late afternoon.

McG 696916/09/2019 19:09:35
2539 forum posts
973 photos

Glad to see you all had an enjoyable day at the Coupe. yes

'Super journée pour tous à B2M'...

To be honest, I think Gerard's Belgian Baron was a bit 'fragile'... but that could be 'on purpose', of course... devil

Next time even better, Messieurs.

Cheers

Chris

trebor16/09/2019 19:22:43
1906 forum posts
214 photos
Posted by David Davis on 16/09/2019 19:03:23:
Posted by trebor on 16/09/2019 18:51:26:

They were probably drunk by the late afternoon.

Well it must have been the booze or was it windy as some of the take offs were a bit vertical laugh

David Davis16/09/2019 19:39:30
3399 forum posts
598 photos

Chris, Gerard's Baron's fuselage was built stock. I made a horlicks of building the centre section of the wing with the result that I had to strengthen it and it was heavier than it should have been. Despite the weight, the leading pilot in our club said that it flew, "Superbon!" and the wing survived the crash. If we rebuild it we'll use basswood for the fuselage longerons but remember, they're built to fly not to crash.

Trebor, it was a bit windy in the afternoon but some of the pilots were not that competent and the booze couldn't have helped!

trebor16/09/2019 19:43:43
1906 forum posts
214 photos

One or two were faster than most when racing, did the engines get checked over first ?

Don Fry16/09/2019 19:53:28
3911 forum posts
42 photos

Or did they have a screw adjusted tail surface, a bit more negative for speed, without the drag of down elevator.

Don Fry16/09/2019 20:26:28
3911 forum posts
42 photos

Just watched it. Barking mad. Tears.

David Davis17/09/2019 06:52:26
3399 forum posts
598 photos
Posted by trebor on 16/09/2019 19:43:43:

One or two were faster than most when racing, did the engines get checked over first ?

Well the maximum sized two stroke you may use is a 35. The engine of choice is the OS 35 AX which is a little powerhouse in standard form. Many competitors fit throttle pipes to their engines and you can run on up to 50% nitro and stay within the rules. That accounts for the high speed of some of the entries. Of course you could use a four-stroke up to a 52 or an electric motor of up to 825 watts.

I ran an old OS 48 Surpass in mine and donated a prize, £25 worth of 4' balsa, to the leading pilot who used a four-stroke. He used an OS 40 Surpass in his which prooves that power isn't everything.

Wilco Wingco17/09/2019 16:57:52
146 forum posts
3 photos

Rules in English???.

David Davis17/09/2019 18:31:16
3399 forum posts
598 photos
Posted by Wilco Wingco on 17/09/2019 16:57:52:

Rules in English???.

I'll have a go!

The event is for three channel " Baron 1914" trainers as designed by Mr Charles Chauzit and first released in about 1970. Models must conform to the overall dimesions of the original model +/- 10%. There are no restrictions on construction methods, our club president for example had a model with a foam veneer wing. I only discovered this when he crashed it in the Limbo at 37.55 in the video. There are no restrictions on the shape of the wing. Some of the Barons have squared off wing tips and the No 2 Baron has rounded wing tips like a Douglas Dauntless. If ailerons are fitted they must be disconnected and taped up throughout the competition.

The fuselage must conform to the dimensions of the original +/- 10% and the pilot's competition number must appear on the fuselage side in numbers at least 6cms high. You keep your number for life.

Tail surfaces may be any shape but must be the same area as the original +/- 10%. In the past I've seen triangular Fokker and spade-shaped Albatros tailplanes on Barons. The competitor's number should be repeated on the fin or rudder but this is widely ignored. Some competitors only have one set of numbers on either the fuselage or on the tail surfaces.

All models must feature a pilot, a machine gun or cannon, an engine cowling and dummy wing warping cables at least on the top surfaces. Wheels should be similar in shape to those used on aircraft in the Great War.

Engines are limited to a 35 two-stroke a 52 four-stroke, it says a "42" in the Reglement but that's a misprint, or a 825 Watt electric motor. Fuel may contain up to 50%(!) nitro.

80 pilots are accepted for the event and are divided into 8 groups of ten pilots who all fly at the same time. Each pilot is allocated a position and number within the group and has to fly behind his number which is painted onto a safety fence. I was Pilot 3 in Group 8 for example. There is a waiting list of ten applicants who may replace any of those who drop out before the competition before it starts. 77 of us turned up on the day.

The event starts with a static display in which models are judged against certain criteria. The flying tests are listed in my original post except that this year the Chasse Renard was replaced by a spot landing competition. Apparently the previous event was too destructive of Barons and club trainers. Rather a pity I thought! devil

This year I sponsored a Four-Stroke Prize, £25 worth of 4' balsa provided by SLEC. I didn't winit!

After running the event for fifteen years the Vol Libre Club will be handing over the running of next year's event to the club at Jonage in flatter country near the airport at Lyon.

Don Fry17/09/2019 18:37:48
3911 forum posts
42 photos

David, I've never flown a Baron, and accept the upped power is not going to improve the handling.

But in the baguettes;

was I looking at a model with a REALY sensitive elevator

or pilots who were a bit anxious to get down to hight, were not happy with the resultant speed, and never got the thing flying straight and level at baguette hight.

I accept, you might get down to hight, and hit nowt, but you have to be down to hit anything.

Wilco, Google translate might serve.

David Davis17/09/2019 18:40:32
3399 forum posts
598 photos

Don, the level of pilot competence varied from the sublime to the ridiculous!

Wilco Wingco17/09/2019 19:11:33
146 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks David. I did try translate on the French rules but it didn't work. Or maybe I didn't do it properly.

Dhooosad

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us