Forum sponsored by CML

Your Transmitter History

What Have You Used ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Devcon107/04/2018 09:25:53
1367 forum posts
483 photos

The latest talk regarding JR prompted me to reminisce about my transmitter history.

Oh how I wished I'd kept them all.

McGregor 1+1

McGregor 2 channel

Horizon 2 channel

Futaba 4 channel M Series

Skyleader Courier

Skyleader (the one with lots of switches) TX7 ?

Futaba Gold

Acomms 2 channel

Futaba Challenger (X3)

JR X347

Futaba Skysport (X2)

Spektrum DX6i

Spektrum DX8 G1

FrSky Taranis X9D+

FrSky Horus X10

Who knows what next....😁

Josip Vrandecic -Mes07/04/2018 09:54:22
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Devcon1,I've seen your workshop , models and TX, me think you deserve a Futaba 18 SZ.... now....face 1

So far I have used three mpx and three Futaba.

Greetings from Adriatic Sea

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 07/04/2018 09:54:52

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 07/04/2018 09:58:40

Alan Gorham_07/04/2018 09:55:32
957 forum posts
102 photos

I've still got all of mine - not that they get much use!

Futaba Digimax 3

Sanwa Mini Custom 2 channel

Sanwa GC2200 2 Channel

All the above were 27MHz

DigiFleet Custom

Hitec Focus 6

Hitec Eclipse 7

Futaba 9CAP Super

Jeti DS-14

The older, simpler sets remind me of great days when I was a young child. Every flight was a hard fought success, but the sun always shone and ...etc etc! Great days.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 07/04/2018 09:55:47

J D 807/04/2018 10:04:51
1254 forum posts
74 photos

Getting bored are we ? What with all the rubbish weather. Still here are mine.

Futaba M series [Still works]

Futaba Gold

Futaba Skysport

Fleet XP/FM

Futaba FF6

Futaba FF7

Futaba T8j

And a few nondescript types that came with models.

Percy Verance07/04/2018 10:06:25
8108 forum posts
155 photos

MacGregor Digimac push button single channel set - bought new.

MacGregor Digimac 3 channel set - the one with the separate throttle stick - secondhand buy. And in this particular instance, wee MacGregor wasn't always in control........

Gem 4 channel propo set - bought new from Roland Scott's shop in Manchester

Skyleader Clubman 4ch set - bought secondhand. Solid reliable set.

Flight Link Soveregn 4ch - secondhand buy. This one had a useful switched frequency facility.

Flight LInk Sovereign 5ch - bought new Oct 1975

Skyleader Courier 7ch - bought new. 1981 My first new 35mhz set. Fitted with rate switches. Never had such things previously.........

Futaba Gold 7ch - bought new from York Model Shop circa 1983

Digifleet 7ch XPFM

Multiplex Commander 4ch, later expanded to 6ch - bought from W J Owens in Ireland 1990. Not available in UK at that time.

Another Multiplex Commander 4ch set. Retained this as a 4ch set. Bought as above.

Multiplex Mc3030 from Powermax Models.

Multiplex Cockpit MM (first generation)

Multiplex Cockpit SX Mk2 35mhz - also purchased the later M Link version

Multiplex Royal 9ch 35mhz. Later fitted with Multiplex MPCM capability by Mike Ridley. This also enabled M Link capability should I choose to move the set to 2.4ghz. As yet I have not done so.

Multiplex Royal Pro 9ch - bougt as a 2.4ghz M LInk set

Multiplex Profi 12ch set

Multiplex Smart SX - bought on Mode 2 specifically to utilise wireless buddy box facility for newbie flyers, none of whom seem to be Mode1 - my mode.

Multiplex Cockpit SX 9

That's it, early 70's to present day........flying control line prior to that.

Oh, I forgot the Dodgyfleet......and there was a Micron PL7D set in there as well. That would be in the late 80's.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/04/2018 10:39:01

Tom Sharp 207/04/2018 10:12:06
3515 forum posts
18 photos

No Waltrons Percy

Percy Verance07/04/2018 10:14:24
8108 forum posts
155 photos

No Tom, I don't like digging holes.......

Waltron, the ferret fancier's radio.

Horizon Systems was another bad one Tom. Saw quite a few of those go in.... At least the servo cases were bright yellow, and were easy to spot in long grass wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/04/2018 10:34:54

Kevin 21607/04/2018 10:28:54
203 forum posts

So far:

Spektrum Dx5

Spekrtum Dx6i

Spektrum Dx 6

Most recent Futaba T8J

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator07/04/2018 10:30:47
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well I'm obviously a bit of a tight wad when it comes to tranmitters - althoough flying for good while now I've not owned that many - I tend to pick one I like and keep it for ages! None of the thrill of the new for me; I seem to find moving Tranny second only to moving house for inducing stress!

So what have there been,....

Futaba Gold

Futaba Skysport

Futaba FF7

Futaba 8FG

Futaba 12FG

Spektrum DX6

Spectrum DX6i These 3 Speckkys were mainly for BNF indoor and the like.

Spektrum DXe

FrSky Taranis

Having tasted the freedom of OpenTx on the Taranis I find it inconceivable that I would go back to a conventionally "programmed" Tx now. My next Tx will probably be a Horus - running OpenTx. But TBH, while I really like the Horus, the Taranis (which is getting on for 3 years old) is still functioning fine, fully updated and hasn't once missed a beat. So I'll probably keep it, like I did with many of the others previously - like a comfortable pair of slippers with the latest refurb installed; it'll do me fine for a while yet.

BEB

Peter Christy07/04/2018 10:54:18
1551 forum posts

MacGregor single-channel (the old, big hammerite grey one - not the later blue one!)

Grundig Variophon-4 (later upgraded to 8 - still have it, still works!)

Bonner Diginite-8 (Still have it, still works!)

Simprop Digi-5 (absolute disaster!)

Sprengbrook 6 (original red box version. Still have it, still works!)

World Engines Talisman x 2 (I designed them! Still have both 27MHz AM and 35 MHz FM, both working)

World Engines Talisman 459 MHz (again, own design, still in use)

JR PCM-9 (still in use)

JR DSX-9 (still in use)

Ace MicroPro 8000 on 459 MHz (still in use)

Ace MicroPro 8000 single-stick with FrSky hack module (still very much in use!)

FrSky Taranis X9D (still in use)

Royal Classic (c.1969, but upgraded using Phil Green's Arduino encoder and FrSky hack module - still in use!)

The only ones I haven't kept are the Simprop, which was disastrously unreliable, and the original MacGregor, which I rebuilt as a home-made Galloping Ghost transmitter and donated to Shaun for the single-channel museum. The original case, which I kept for years, disappeared during a house move, alas, but I now have another, currently being renovated, and destined to become a 2.4 GHz single channel system!

laugh

--

Pete

David Davis07/04/2018 10:56:44
3399 forum posts
598 photos

Sanwa Conquest Six. I had three of those.

Futaba FF7 which I kept for twelve years.

Spektrum DX6i

Spektrum DX9

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum compared with BEB, (pun intended!) but then he's an IT professional. Me, when I hear the words "programmable" and "transmitter" in the same sentence I run for the hills!

flight107/04/2018 11:05:29
622 forum posts
33 photos

well I don't change tx to often won't be caught up in the must have the latest bling my pockets won't alow me, just when i need a new feature

Multiplex Europa sprint

Multiplex Europa MC1020 (one of the first with model memory and i thought i was in the space age)

Graupner MC 10/20

Multiplex Royal Pro 12

Multiplex Royal Pro 12 converted to 2.4Ghz switchable and 16 channels (does this count a another tx?)

FrSky Taranis ( because of fantastic program funcion and the rx, telemetry stuff and accessories very affordable)

The only down side of the Taranis is I keep breaking the antenna!! so the next one will probably be the Horus too as FrSky has been very reliable and it's antennas are not exposed

Gordon Whitehead 107/04/2018 11:07:02
320 forum posts
120 photos

Aeromodeller single channel valve Tx. Ground based, tank whip 8ft aerial, microswitch button switch on flylead

Terrytone (I think that was the kit, I built it in a plastic sandwich box as I couldn't source an Oxo tin ) transistor Tx with push button.

Radio Modeller single channel transistor Tx - home made case bent up from scrapyard bought aluminium sheet.

Open Tx?? Pah!!!!!! Who needs that when you can loop and roll your Mini Robot with just one-button controlling an Elmic Conquest escapement? wink

RCME Unijunction Pulse Proportional Tx for Galloping Ghost.

Futaba Digimax 4

RCME Propo Tx

Futaba 5-chan M-series

Fleet 6-chan

JR Unlimited 8 Multifunction Tx for 7 years or so

JR PCM-10 for 10 years or so

JR PCM-10X for another 10 years

Spektrum DX-8 for about a year

Spektrum DX-18 first generation since it came out

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 07/04/2018 11:07:53

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 07/04/2018 11:08:21

Percy Verance07/04/2018 11:31:38
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Peter

I almost went for a World Engines Talisman system back in the day. I was considering a Sprengbrook set too, although those were a bit pricey. The days of Harry Brooks eh?...............

Another one that impressed me with it's reliability was the Swan System 73. A new member turned up at my (then) club with one, and it never missed a beat in years. Almost all transmitters back then had folded metal cases. Most were aluminium but some (FLC Sovereign) were steel. Built to last.......

Peter Miller07/04/2018 11:34:17
10168 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Not all in the right order

ECC Telecomander

ED Boomerang

Never got those two in the air.

RCS Guidance System (Great)

MacGregor two channel,

MacGregor 4 channel

Sanwa Excellence

Acoms 4 channel, several.

JR not sure of the model number but it was the very first 35 Mhz set.

Reftec UHF

Fleet in several versions including the last programmable one so called computer radio

Futaba FF6

Futaba FF8 (Love it still)

SPektrum DX7 (The very early one) Got a spare Tx just in case.

Hitec Aurora 9

Peter Christy07/04/2018 11:42:46
1551 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 07/04/2018 11:31:38:

Peter

I almost went for a World Engines Talisman system back in the day. I was considering a Sprengbrook set too, although those were a bit pricey. The days of Harry Brooks eh?...............

Another one that impressed me with it's reliability was the Swan System 73. A new member turned up at my (then) club with one, and it never missed a beat in years. Almost all transmitters back then had folded metal cases. Most were aluminium but some (FLC Sovereign) were steel. Built to last.......

Just as a matter of interest Percy, what did you get instead of the Talisman?

The Sprengbrook was generally very reliable, other than not liking sub-zero temperatures (it used an SCS decoder, and SCS's were notoriously temperature sensitive!).

Back in those pre-VAT days, kits were exempt from purchase tax (the pre-EU equivalent of VAT), as they were deemed to be "educational". If you bought the Sprengbrook as a kit from our local dealer, he would build and test it for you at no extra cost! You got a very good outfit for a very reasonable price!

That dealer (now long retired) is still around, and a good friend. In fact, I'll probably be seeing him in a few days time as he has some vintage heli bits I'm after.....! wink

--

Pete

John Lee07/04/2018 11:45:45
653 forum posts
48 photos

RCS Guidance system

Remcon Versaplex

Waltron 4-5

Skyleader SLX

McGregor Digimac VI

Futaba FF

JR - Max, 347, 3810, PCM9X, DX9, DSX12

Spectrum - 6, 8, DX9

Jeti DS-16

Only ones I have now are the DSX12, DX9 & the Jeti.

Frank Skilbeck07/04/2018 11:52:47
4447 forum posts
101 photos

Futaba 4L 27 mhz FM

Digifleet Custom 3 6 channel 35 mhz

Digifleet PCM7 35 mhz (probably used this for more than 10 years!)

Futaba FF6 35 mhz

Multiplex Cockpit Sx 35 mhz

Spektrum Dx6i DSM2

Multiplex Royal Pro 9 M-Link

Multiplex Profi 16 M-Link

Multiplex 3030 (2nd hand converted back to 35 mhz)

The last 5 transmitters are all still in use, I also have a Multiplex Smart Sx small hand held that came with a ready to fly model.

Bob Cotsford07/04/2018 11:59:40
7972 forum posts
439 photos

I don't remember the names of the early ones, there were valve based single channel sets from Aeromodeller including a ground based one as per Gordon's list, transistor ditto (OC71 rings a bell), a commercial single channel set in a blue aluminium box, then came the propo sets

Horizon 8

Microtrol (? - published in a book that I still have somewhere)

RCME propo,

RM Digicon

FF6

FF7 later with a Corona 2.4module

FF8 with FrSky module

FF9 also with FrSky module

FrSky Taranis

FrSky Horus

I still have the last 4 though the Horus gets used the most.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/04/2018 12:01:19

Percy Verance07/04/2018 13:16:20
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Peter,

At the time I was drooling over a Sprengbrook set, a friend had been in contact with Mr. Owens at WJ Owens in Co Wicklow, Ireland, and Mr Owens offered to send Multiplex sets over for us to examine! Needless to say, the set he sent didn't end up going back. In fact another two sets were ordered and went to fellow club members. There were no Multiplex dealers in the UK at the time.

I do recall Harry Brooks dabbling briefly in Multiplex. From memory he didn't seem to sell them for long. I expect they were, in marketing terms, too close to the Sprengbrook sets. They did have a similar look to them if I remember correctly.

Back in the early 70's, when I was moving over to r/c from control line, we had a former British Aerobatic champion in the club. He was then using an RCS set, which he briefy let me fly a few shaky circuits with. Another flyer was using an old Staveley Analogue set. Sadly, neither the sets or the flyers are still with us.

I still have my Flight Link Soveregn set, which was analogue rather than digital.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/04/2018 13:46:58

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us