New MOT Test From May 20th.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member08/04/2018 09:45:08

[This posting has been removed]

Piers Bowlan08/04/2018 09:53:03
2120 forum posts
53 photos

It sounds like you will need to take your car for a 'pre MOT test' before the real thing to avoid the possibility of fines!

Callsign Tarnish08/04/2018 09:55:24
100 forum posts
1 photos
Just had a read but I don't think it's anything to onerous. Especially the 'fail if brake discs are missing, I think you'd know about that!
Denis Watkins08/04/2018 09:56:02
4334 forum posts
104 photos

Don't go rushing out trying to get in before the new test date, as you will be turned away.

Tyre pressures are included, so don't miss a quick pump up before the test.

Vehicles will be checked for missing catalytic exhaust bits and various parts of diesel breathers that people take off.

Those vehicles will require parts refitting.

Former Member08/04/2018 09:59:57

Jon - Laser Engines08/04/2018 10:03:53
5422 forum posts
263 photos

That all seems reasonable to me. Not sure some people I know will agree. no more straight through exhausts for them.

As for the diesel smoke thing, I spend a lot of time on the road and so often I get sat behind some stinking heap belching out goodness knows what. if they can tighten that up I'm all for it.

Former Member08/04/2018 10:06:46

Bob Cotsford08/04/2018 10:43:37
8390 forum posts
463 photos

It appears to be a matter of adding in tests for safety items developed in recent years eg headlight washers and daylight running lamps, and checking that DPFs haven't been removed - nothing particularly startling even for the owners of diesel cars. I have heard of people who run diesels for short journeys who have the DPF gutted, they are the only ones who will be affected. I guess that will hit a few private hire drivers.

Cuban808/04/2018 11:32:06
2911 forum posts
1 photos

If the 'new' test gets rid of the many heaps that can still be found driving around then "bring it on" I say.

I can foresee a future regulation that makes a minimum level of professional servicing to be made a legal requirement. Surprised that the EU hasn't thought of that one..................

Former Member08/04/2018 12:04:54

Rich too08/04/2018 12:24:06
3060 forum posts
1070 photos

What a load of old tosh about diesel motors, are they suddenly going to ban them in commercial vehicles? I think not. I do agree that the MOT could be tighter on newer models though.

Former Member08/04/2018 12:34:59

Piers Bowlan08/04/2018 12:43:53
2120 forum posts
53 photos

'A few thousand smokey old bangers' Where do you see these cars Percy? I thought they were a thing of the past. As for headlight washers not working, I wonder how many accidents have been caused by them not working? Don't people wash their cars anymore - including their headlights? I can't help feeling that this is the nanny state rearing its ugly head again! Most responsible people realise the importance of having tyres correctly inflated. For those that don't, I suggest that checking their car's tyre pressure at MOT will not change their attitude the rest of the year.

Geoff S08/04/2018 12:48:21
3588 forum posts
14 photos

Amazing to think that a friend's father bought him a car in 1959. It was a 1935ish Morris 8. The only minor problem was that it was in Ayr and we were both living and working in Welwyn Garden City. We went up on the bus and it took us 2 days to drive it back. It burned nearly as much oil as petrol and there was well over half a turn of free play on the steering. It's a good job the 10 year test (as it was initially) hadn't come into force. It's surprising how quickly we were able to accommodate its steering quirks but then, we were 19 and fantastic drivers , there was relatively little traffic, and the car was only capable of sustained speeds of about 45 mph.

Geoff

Former Member08/04/2018 12:56:15

Alan Gorham_08/04/2018 13:00:17
1247 forum posts
145 photos

Just to point out that as someone who drives a "smokey old banger" 2006 Skoda Octavia 1.9, that the new, tighter rules around smoke emission only apply to modern diesels WITH a DPF. My old banger and others like it are exempt.

The changes don't seem to produce a much stricter test in my reading of them, so I'm not losing any sleep.

Piers Bowlan08/04/2018 13:15:55
2120 forum posts
53 photos

Probably not Percy or at least they both go to the same garage for their MOT!

People can be odd about tyre pressure. I was at a filling station forecourt and a guy pulled his car onto the adjacent pump with a seriously under inflated tyre. As he stepped out of his vehicle I suggested that he take a look at his front tyre, as it looked like it could do with a bit more air. (or words to that effect). He glanced down and said, 'It looks OK to me, mate!' Judging by his scowl I clearly wasn't his 'mate'. You just can't help some people! Darwinism at work?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/04/2018 13:23:06

J D 808/04/2018 13:24:06
1445 forum posts
84 photos

In that case my main vehicle should be ok, it is a 1990 Land Rover 90 I have owned for twenty five years.

I put the case that it is more environmentally friendly than any modern vehicle as no resources or energy have been expended to make a replacement.

David Davis08/04/2018 13:46:35
3685 forum posts
688 photos
Posted by J D 8 on 08/04/2018 13:24:06:

In that case my main vehicle should be ok, it is a 1990 Land Rover 90 I have owned for twenty five years.

I put the case that it is more environmentally friendly than any modern vehicle as no resources or energy have been expended to make a replacement.

Yeah and that goes for my 20 year-old VW LT28 van too!

ken anderson.08/04/2018 14:34:35
8635 forum posts
779 photos

i don't know if threads like this are started off for info, scaremongering or to see what the reaction of fellow forumites is ......smoky bangers-I don't see many of them on the road now.....and as has been said a lot of the other stuff is pretty basic....but the thread is already descending into diesel bashing....wish I new why we have to have an mot test every 12 months nower days....some countries do it every two years....modern cars are much better built and don't need doing as regular as days gone by.....my neighbour has a 2010 Peugeot van with over 100K on the clock(horrible diesel I should add)...last test the garage said the omissions were well with in what they should be and it would have been tax exempt had it been put on the road later than 2010....but tax is tax...and he pays a fair wedge for it....it's all about the money...I hear you think..kulou

ken Anderson...ne....1....... motoring=tax/£ dept.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!