Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Get rid of wiring!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MaxG10/04/2018 09:51:16
160 forum posts
3 photos

Saw this which came from an organisation in which I have an interest, The Welding Institute based in Cambridge.

This could be the way we go in the future.

Anything to get rid of the tangle of wires I always seem to end up with in my models

Maxg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/04/2018 10:21:51

Ian Jones10/04/2018 11:10:49
3219 forum posts
1397 photos

Would be good but is this a demonstration of an idea rather than a working model?

For example what happens when RF signals are introduced into the equation - for our purposes essential.

Those servos don't just simply work, there's a control system which needed switching on for each one.

Still I hope it does come to something.

Nigel R10/04/2018 11:27:38
3484 forum posts
532 photos

Well, there's a solution looking for a problem.

My thoughts are, they won't find that problem in our corner of the world.

Industrial robotics perhaps, where it could remove larger quantities of wiring across devices or spaces that may be difficult to service.

Still. All the best to them!

MaxG10/04/2018 12:09:44
160 forum posts
3 photos

I am sure that it is not for us as yet but is more for military and aerospace in the near future. But that was how it was with 2.4 some years ago.

I just posted it for interest to show how things could go in the future.

Maxg

Basa10/04/2018 12:17:51
42 forum posts

That would have been interesting if the motor had started . Should have removed the prop , unless it the motor was not connected.

G194010/04/2018 12:26:51
3523 forum posts
1 photos

I don't think it's a solution looking for a problem as has been suggested (though I admit there are a few of those). I'm sure we've all struggled at some point in feeding reluctant wires through formers or wing ribs. Eliminating the need to do that has its attractions. However, I suspect the elimination of wiring comes at a cost - ie the need for added complication at the servo which would need a local energy source (presumably a battery) unless they're transmitting that as well and a receiver.

I'm sure there was a reason they connected the transmitter physically rather than wirelessly to demonstrate an otherwise wireless system but that rings alarm bells for me. After all transmitting servo control via an RF link is well established and necessary for a model aeroplane!

Certainly an interesting demo. Thanks for posting, Max.

Geoff

Nigel R10/04/2018 12:52:15
3484 forum posts
532 photos

sorry didn't want to come over too negative - thanks for posting the vid, it was an interesting watch

(my solution comment really only relates to the low-spend hobby of RC)

Allan Bennett11/04/2018 21:45:45
1603 forum posts
44 photos

It would have been interesting to see more detail: For instance, they surely can't be normal servos, they must each have some kind of 'receiver' built into them and, seemingly, each one has its own battery too. So something like S-Bus but using the model's structure to carry the signal?

John Lee11/04/2018 22:23:22
696 forum posts
56 photos

There is more detail on the TWI website. Thanks for posting - interesting.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us