Forum sponsored by CML

HobbyKing Teksumo

Building it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Fry13/04/2018 13:05:00
2507 forum posts
30 photos

i have just got one of these, no instructions in the box to build it. Grrrr. Can't find instructions on their site. Grrrrrrrrr. Instructions online found, for an earlier version of the thing, different hardware, and for much smaller power trains. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Now I have glued the wings together. Are the three bits of carbon rod supplied supposed to be braces to prevent wing clapping. And why three, does it do less g in one direction, than another.

Anyone built one

Piers Bowlan13/04/2018 13:19:35
1250 forum posts
36 photos

In case anyone is curious to know what a HobbyKing Teksumo is...

I don't know Don but are two rods to control the elevons?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/04/2018 13:25:41

Denis Watkins13/04/2018 14:20:57
2802 forum posts
139 photos

Watch the video on Hobbyking Ron

He mentions the control rods, but he speaks too fast for me

The model is very compact and lightweight, so am guessing the wing joint is not an issue

Don Fry13/04/2018 14:35:00
2507 forum posts
30 photos

There are a pair of control rods in the packet.

I will search for the video, weather is great, flying this morning, and just back from exercising a flying boat this afternoon. Sessions planned tomorrow, and Sunday. Walk the dogs now. Then cook. Then I will have some time.

Denis Watkins13/04/2018 17:03:17
2802 forum posts
139 photos

The video is on the same product page as the Teksumo Ron

Don Fry13/04/2018 17:05:41
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Dennis, thank you. Your wise words about size steadied me, they are most certainly not spars. I now reckon they may be abrasion skids for the ground contact areas.

Video not much use, but I will stick it together. The part count is tiny,

Andy G.14/04/2018 07:54:12
384 forum posts
215 photos

I have a Teksumo, they're more fun than a bucket of frogs!!! One tip though, the instructions show everything mounted underneath, where it's all likely to be damaged by even the best landing. I cut through the openings, mounted everything above and replaced the cut away foam back underneath. Much more sensible. Also, because I fly mine with a large 2300 mA 3S Lipo mounted spanwise I reinforced the very front of the wing with a 1/32 ply plate on the underside. The finished beast is ballistic! Enjoy!!!!!

Piers Bowlan14/04/2018 08:09:03
1250 forum posts
36 photos

This may be of help Don. There is mention of the carbon spars here.

Kevin Fairgrieve14/04/2018 18:01:48
1505 forum posts
2798 photos

Brilliant little wing.

I have a PDF copy of the original build instructions if you need them. Shows the position of the "carbon rod" spar positions.

Kev

Don Fry14/04/2018 19:52:55
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Kevin, Piers, cheers. I have the original instructions, but HK in their current version have upped the power set up, and being a hooligan will launch with a ( top recommended) 4s setup on a 6/4 prop turning at something like 25000 rpm. When I started the assembly yesterday, I glued in the carbon sheet motor mount, and Fpv camera mount, and I reckon, both are glued between the centre wing joint, at front and back, and I will back my joints against a flight load. By the way, the quality of the bits in this kit is faultless. You just guess where they go.

The carbon rods supplied are 2.0 mm things, about 180 mm long. . They have another use. Not a spar.

Andy, thank you. I have been looking dubiously at using a Turnigy Bolt lipo as a landing skid. Visions of flames on arrival spring to mind. I will take your advice and stick it on top.

One possible use for the mystery carbon bits, is to carry loads from the tip of the nose into the main plane structure, bypassing the weak bit that represents where the lipo sits in the structure, at the nose.

So HK,

seems a nice kit. The current kit is beautifully boxed, packed well, superb components, ( the motor mount is a work of art, all done in carbon fibre). And a user who says more fun than a box of frogs. An indication as to make it would costs you nowt.

This thing will have a watt per gram for power. I know little about leccy models, but in my (dinosaur) book, is the equivalent of a Laser 155 in a Wot 4. So a bit of structural respect is called for.

I will do the maiden at third throttle.

Andy G.15/04/2018 08:47:36
384 forum posts
215 photos

The Teksumo should get away from a hand launch at about a 1/4 - 1/3 throttle quite easily. Well trimmed they will fly very slowly, but I bet that throttle won't stay low for very long! A little bit of reflex is needed on the elevons, not too much though or it will zoom when you throttle up very markedly. Dual rates and expo help the nerves too. My favourite manoeuvres are, to do a low fast pass then pull a rolling vertical until it's a dot ( not long!) or to get over the centre of the patch really slow, push the elevons stick into the corner and watch it come down like a sycamore seed. Mine is an earlier version with ply motor mount and no FPV provision, it's looking tatty now but it will be getting an outing today if the rain holds off..

Don Fry15/04/2018 10:04:59
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Andy, I will do as you suggest. Wandering out to the workshop now to finish construction.

Woowoo15/04/2018 23:16:37
11 forum posts

An absolute blast to fly, especially on the fast setup. The 3 carbon rods are glued across the wing joint. There should be grooves pre cut in the foam the rods are pushed into and glued i used hot glue for this. I also covered the edges with reinforced tape to protect them. There are a few youtube videos covering the build on the new one if you are still stuck i can upload pictures showing where the rods go.

Paul

Don Fry16/04/2018 13:13:39
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Thank you Woowoo, just in from flying, I will have a look later. Makes sense.

Woowoo16/04/2018 13:56:07
11 forum posts

On the top face that’s coloured one spar goes just a couple of inches from motor mount, and on the lower face that’s plain foam again one is couple inches or so from motor mount and third spar goes in between the cutouts for esc/receiver and battery cutout.

Paul

Don Fry16/04/2018 14:13:43
2507 forum posts
30 photos

I see them, I see them. Unless pointed out you would not spot they in a month or Sunday's. I'll get my Superphatic out. Than you mate. Spare parts in a kit is worrying.

Don Fry16/04/2018 17:22:30
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Spars in. Now I have searched and the CG is 210 mm back from the nose. Correct?

And sources for the elvon components are, elevator +\_ 10 mm, aileron +\_ 15 mm.

Or , elevator +\_ 15 mm, aileron +\_ 10 mm.

Now given a disagreement, or a typo, I would be inclined to do 12 mm for each, and program a fine tune. But a bit of better knowledge would be appreciated.

Woowoo16/04/2018 19:56:14
11 forum posts

CG sounds about spot on. I set my control surfaces to 15mm + / - all round but Then I do tend to fly on the edge! You may also need to add a bit of weight to the nose depending on battery size. I sometimes fly fpv with a 1500 4 cell so the added weight of fpv camera and go pro it balances just nice at 210 mm but without fpv I use 2200 3 cell to balance out without adding weight.

Don Fry16/04/2018 20:30:49
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Cheers, 210 it is. And 12 mm all round, you can always go bigger. And this week coming I will be bereft of SWMBO, so free to do things.

Don Fry30/04/2018 17:34:10
2507 forum posts
30 photos

Idiot electric user speaking. Now I have assembled this thing. And just setting it up.

It's fitted with a 2826 2200Kv motor, and is on a 4s battery. It has a 40 amp speed controller, HobbyKing brand.

Now from low throttle to about 60 %, I get a steady throttle response. But from that point, I don't think the revs increase, but the motor starts to hunt, and in the process makes a who who who sound. (No prop fitted)

Now I have heard that you can alter the timing of a speed controller. Is this a timing issue?

And how do you alter fonts on this site

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues