Chorus Gull

build/plan comments/advise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
will -015/08/2018 08:12:20
582 forum posts
19 photos

Hi David

I have a chorus gull built as per the plans. Don't recall the wing rib thing, but it's possible I just made a set by sandwich method, or bodged it after.

Anyway mine is powered by an OS 60FP and it goes really really well, grooves round the sky. It's possible it is a tad nose heavy,, but it flies so well like this that I'm not worried. The only issue I have is that it's not the lightest of aircraft and is a bit slippery so can be a challenge to get it stopped on our patch in certain wind directions (or more of a problem with nil wind). If I were to build another I would probably consider adding flaps.

I would also makes sure the back end is as light as possible - mine has quite a bit of lead in the cowl.

Martin McIntosh15/08/2018 10:22:30
2978 forum posts
1090 photos

Hi David, I missed that one which is of the 1/4 scale version.

I possibly confused the ribs with the Spiteful from the same publication.

David Hayward.03/12/2019 09:57:14
169 forum posts
81 photos

I have at last started covering my Chorus Gull and I want to copy the red with gold trim as here. I will be using Solarspan for the red but have not yet sourced anything for the gold trim. Any suggestions as to what I could use? Will all the different types of covering stick to Solarspan? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

32182237747_a4834e0ae2_k[1].jpgmew_gull-1[1].jpg

Steve Jones 203/12/2019 12:39:59
530 forum posts
387 photos

Hi there,

I have got one of these models , built from a plan and its fantastic.. fitted with an OS 91 FS.. which is a bit much but it cruises on half power and sound great.

Cockpit is scale and I took a trip to Old Warden where they had one and took load of pics.

Only comment I would have is for durability over the years as the U/C wires seem to have worn the holes in the wing blocks so they rock back and forward. On landing now its a nightmare unless you get a 3 pointer. Otherwise they swing back and dig in, pitching model up. O really need to cut the wing open and sort the worn mounting blocks but as the model is white solartex covered and painted i dont know the exact colour to match.

So, as yours is not covered i would seriously suggest you consider the wing mounting block system and maybe strengthen or sleeve before the covering goes on.

Steve

Bob Cotsford03/12/2019 13:11:45
8068 forum posts
444 photos

For gold trim I'd be asking around local companies that do trade decals and trim for vans, vinyl wraps etc. as they may well have offcuts that you could use. Otherwise

Steven Shaw03/12/2019 13:52:01
334 forum posts
182 photos

Any local craft store that sells vinyl cutters should have some. The "Michaels" here sell 84 different colours, including a couple of golds.

David Hayward.03/12/2019 18:52:53
169 forum posts
81 photos

Thank you all for your suggestions; much appreciated.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us