By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

OS 46 Mounting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Matthews06/09/2008 16:59:00
10 forum posts

Ok guys I have a problem with a OS 46 silencer mounting problem....I have just bought a Great Planes AT-6 Texan, the problem I have is the mounting of the silencer, the cowl fits over the engine which is fine, but the problem comes when the silencer needs to fitted, i would have to "hack" most of the firewall away to get it in, and as the firewall is the stuctural part of the  fuse,  and I don't really want to do that.

So I suppose the question would be, is there another type of silencer i could use? I know OS do a extention between the silencer and engine, I still think that would need some hacking.......the photo that comes with the instructions shows a double exhaust system that seems to come down at 90 degrees to the engine....So am I missing something? (my brain, not in the kit)  or does anyone know where I could buy such a piece of engineering?

Thanks for your help .........fingers crossed on this one.

Eric Bray06/09/2008 18:00:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos
I think that OS make an outlet extension piece, or you could try one of the aftermarket add-on exhaust systems intended for cowled engines.
Gary Matthews06/09/2008 18:08:00
10 forum posts
Thanks for the reply Eric, have you got any suggestions as to the "aftermarket" shop's/businesses? please....
260 Flyer06/09/2008 22:30:00
523 forum posts
1 photos

Try Just Engines

Not cheap, but they may have something that will fit.

Bob Cotsford08/09/2008 11:02:00
7973 forum posts
439 photos
the BCM Pitts style mufflers from Just Engines are excellent for installing in a radial cowl, they can be used with a retaining strap, or JE will drill and tap to suit a particular engine.  They also do their own JE Pitts mufflers, slightly more bulky where they bolt on to the manifold, otherwise not much to choose between them Just Engines Pitts
Gary Matthews10/09/2008 19:56:00
10 forum posts

Cheers Guys......ordered from them yesterday, arrived today, fitted nicely, top class service as well.

Thanks again for the advice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us