Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Wireless Buddy range

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shaun Walsh06/05/2018 17:47:22
211 forum posts
13 photos

Does anyone know what the maximum range is between the instructor and student transmitters when using wireless buddy mode?

The reason I ask is this:

Today I was linked to my trainer's Tx, took off, did a few circuits and landed. Because of the orientation of the plane I couldn't taxi back to the flight line and had to walk over and turn it around by hand. My instructor went back to the flight line leaving his Tx set to student has control, I walked about 40 yards to the plane, picked it up, turned it around and put it back on the ground facing towards the flight line. Suddenly it shot off on full throttle and I couldn't shut it down. Fortunately I had elevator control and managed to pile it in from a height of about 3 feet with the result that I have a few bent bits to fix. The alternative was probably less pleasant.

The question is, why did the motor suddenly start when my Tx was at minimum throttle.

The only thing we could think of was that we had exceeded the maximum wireless buddy range so the plane was only linked to the trainer's Tx but if so why did I have elevator control?

All very perplexing!

Don Fry06/05/2018 18:45:00
4276 forum posts
49 photos

I recently did a standard 30 paces check, (Spektrum) and it was happy at that distance.

But you seem to be telling us that the throttle wasn't under command, but the elevator was under command. I would imagine that is not a range issue.

One point. An instructor and pupil should be talking until the plane is safe. Not an easy subject to raise, I accept, from your position.

Percy Verance06/05/2018 18:55:11
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Your club allows taxi-ing back to the flight line? surprise Oooh, not allowed in my club, just in case something like this happens. Where I fly, the engine/motor is cut on completion of the landing. A couple of members have protested in the past at not being allowed to taxi back to the pits down the mown path to the strip after landing. They're now flying elsewhere.........

Even on start-up in the pit area, we have engines/motors/propellors facing away from the pit area rather than into it. I have seen several four stroke backfires over the years, one of which knocked a member out cold when the prop hit him full in the chest.........not nice.

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/05/2018 18:56:50

Denis Watkins06/05/2018 19:49:30
3985 forum posts
72 photos

What a shame Shaun, but you are no way at fault

Buddy to master should not even be a range issue,

As you should be shoulder to shoulder talking to each other the whole time until the model is safe

This is entirely the instructors fault, and leaves you in an awkward position

After landing, you should finish with the master in control, in attendance, nearby together.

This is like a car driving instructor teaching you by telephone

I find it very odd that this scenario could even occur

Capt Kremen06/05/2018 21:17:41
323 forum posts
100 photos

Not quite the same but nevertheless related to 'Bluetooth' use in training ... and involves throttle ...

The issue as observed whilst attempting use for a training flight:

Spektrum DX6e as MASTER Tx using Bluetooth 'buddy-box' link bind with a Spektrum DX5e as SLAVE

Master TX - All functions - Aileron, Elevator (Right gimbal stick) and Rudder, Throttle (left gimbal stick), work perfectly.

SLAVE Tx - Initially when the MASTER Tx transfers control, ALL Left & Right stick control functions are transferred and function OK on the Slave Tx.
The 'slave' throttle is checked and works open/full to close/off, however if an attempt is then made to re-open the 'SLAVE' throttle, nothing happens whilst the other slave Tx functions remain working.
If the 'Buddy Box transfer button', on the Master Tx, is released (off) then pressed and held (on) again the SLAVE throttle function is regained along with the rest of the Slave Tx functions!

Intermittent Pot on the Slave Tx? The 'On/Off' button on the Master(?) however it transfers all the other functions OK???

Mike Ridley ('RadioWorkshop' suggested this may be a software issue/glitch.

Disconcerting, as in the original post, it involves the 'throttle' function.
Instructor & Pupil are always in close proximity/side-by-side in our club.

Andy4806/05/2018 21:36:07
1407 forum posts
5 photos

I too think this is the instructor's fault. No way should the instructor give you control as the student and then allow you to walk off to collect your model. Firstly he should have regained control as the master on the flight line and secondly you shouldn't walk onto the field with your transmitter, but left it at his side.

Martin Harris06/05/2018 21:56:57
9023 forum posts
224 photos

Current best practice according to the BMFA is to take the (2.4 GHz) transmitter with you to make safe/retrieve an electric powered model. In this case, the retrieve would have been better with the master transmitter taken with you (with or without the instructor depending on your experience level) or with the instructor closely monitoring the situation and retaining control.

Do your transmitters link by a second normal power transmitter module in the master or Bluetooth? If the latter then safe range will be very limited.

David P Williams07/05/2018 10:41:46
864 forum posts
284 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 06/05/2018 18:55:11:

Your club allows taxi-ing back to the flight line? surprise Oooh, not allowed in my club, just in case something like this happens. Where I fly, the engine/motor is cut on completion of the landing. A couple of members have protested in the past at not being allowed to taxi back to the pits down the mown path to the strip after landing. They're now flying elsewhere.........

My club has a safety officer who not only taxis back to the flight line, but taxis right back to his pit box. Scares the wotsits out of me and I make myself scarce while he's doing it. Same individual armed his 700 size electric heli inside the clubhouse with several others present - I heard the ESC tune and headed out the door sharpish.

Edited By David P Williams on 07/05/2018 10:42:14

Percy Verance07/05/2018 11:00:35
8108 forum posts
155 photos

And he's the Safety Officer? Unbelieveable...... secret

I was once a member of a club whose Safety Officer, along with several of his cronies, put the whole club and it's members at risk with some incredibly idiotic behaviour. It's a long story David, but about 20 members moved on from the club - myself included - as a direct result of it.........

We formed another club.

P.S. You need a different Safety Officer.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/05/2018 11:04:03

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator07/05/2018 11:31:30
6730 forum posts
191 photos

Is the fail safe wrongly set so that when the model goes into fail safe it opens rather than closes the throttle? Certainly worth checking...

But on the whole I agree with the what the other chaps have said....the model should be considered "live" until the battery is disconnected & whilst the model is live it is (or should be) under the instructors control.

A valuable lesson learned with minimal damage & no loss of blood I think so we can all be thankful for that.

Percy Verance07/05/2018 21:15:45
8108 forum posts
155 photos

And to answer the OP. My wireless buddy box is claimed to have a range of 30+ metres. Not that I'd ever let a trainee get that far away. About 4 feet away is plenty enough......

Cordless buddy boxes do have a downside though. I have witnessed the return of the twirling learner.......

On more than one occasion I have threatened to nail feet to the floor....... although not recently it must be said. Why oh why must they fly behind themselves? frown

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/05/2018 21:20:58

Percy Verance07/05/2018 21:31:46
8108 forum posts
155 photos

And to answer the OP. My wireless buddy box is claimed to have a range of 30+ metres. Not that I'd ever let a trainee get that far away.

Cordless buddy boxes do have a downside though. I have witnessed the return of the twirling learner.......

On more than one occasion I have threatened to nail feet to the floor....... although not recently it must be said.

Percy Verance07/05/2018 21:32:45
8108 forum posts
155 photos

ooops double post

Martin Harris07/05/2018 22:26:44
9023 forum posts
224 photos

I'm just having a vision of your twirling learner trying the same thing on a buddy lead - I suppose the situation is self correcting as his legs are ensnared by the cable, bringing him crashing to the ground with the lead pulling out of the instructor's transmitter...

laughcryinglaugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us