Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

PU Glue removal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ace08/05/2018 11:33:30
251 forum posts
15 photos

I love PU glue and am normally very careful not to get any on my hands.

You know whats coming next - yes my latex glove sprung a leak and now I have some on my palm crying

Tried thinners, nail varnish remover & Isopropanol with no result - So what will shift it please ????

The Wright Stuff08/05/2018 11:38:27
1383 forum posts
226 photos

Time.

It'll rub off by itself over a few hours. A few skin cells lost to the dust!

Kevin Wilson08/05/2018 14:08:29
382 forum posts
13 photos

Gorilla recommend soap, hand cream (moisturiser) and time.

They specifically say not to use strong chemicals such as acetone or thinners, but that is probably safety driven advice.

I have had limited success with acetone if it hasn't set, but mainly as TWS says, time

The Wright Stuff08/05/2018 14:28:05
1383 forum posts
226 photos

I figured that by the time our fellow forumites had reached a consensus about the best solution, the glue residue would be long gone, anyway! wink

Ace08/05/2018 14:41:55
251 forum posts
15 photos

Thanks both, but the black grubby mark the diameter of a golfball is refusing to budge. sad

I guess the grease from the skin will eventually lift it but would dearly love a faster solution.

David Mellor08/05/2018 14:48:52
1254 forum posts
611 photos

Don't use solvents (thinners etc) as these (a) don't dissolve PU which has cured and (b) they enter the blood stream via the skin and damage your liver.

PU cures by chemical reaction with water. The cells of your skin provide sufficient water on contact to react, so even if you wipe it off straight away, some PU will already have bonded.

I find the best (as in "least worst" treatment is to scrape off any PU that hasn't fully cured with a Stanley knife blade - used at right angles to the skin surface a bit like a cabinet scraper. Then let the residue cure (an hour or so) before abrading the skin back with coarse sandpaper. It does come off, but it takes a fine layer of dead skin cells with it, so you can't use the same technique on the same bit of skin for a week or two!

As The Wright Stuff says, wears off all by itself after a week or two simply because we all shed our skin cells..........

David Mellor08/05/2018 15:05:58
1254 forum posts
611 photos

Too much information......?

Have you noticed that PU glue used on balsa or ply in a model always stays light straw coloured? Yet on human skin it tends to darken and even turn black. Why is that?

Well, it seems PU darkens in contact with metal ions and goes very dark in contact with iron ions in particular. On skin, it seems it may be darkening in contact with traces of haemoglobin from some of your near-surface capillaries.

Ace08/05/2018 15:34:55
251 forum posts
15 photos

Thanks David, I thought the dark grubbyness was due to it attracting muck, however looking around there is some evidence of iron darkening PU type glues - you live an learn.

Resorted to using one of the foam emery sponges which shifted some - but not all. Guess I will just have to let nature run its course for the remainder.

Don Fry08/05/2018 16:02:59
3256 forum posts
39 photos

Thank you for continuing my education. Are the metal ions getting bonded in, or is some form of chelate forming? An alternative metal source is sodium from salt in sweat.. but most sodium compounds are white, but odd things happen in organic chemistry.

Ace, David Mellor is a hard man. If you use very fine wet and dry paper, and some right greasy hand cream, or olive oil, as the wet element, you can reduce the time lag for a second coat of PU to a week.

Edit, But as an alternative thought process, for that week you might get away with a burglary. No fingerprint. 

Edited By Don Fry on 08/05/2018 16:06:01

Martian08/05/2018 16:33:37
2082 forum posts
1023 photos

There is always the same blasting option might hurt though

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us