Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Taranis to Spektrum Trainer.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glenn Philbrick09/05/2018 17:30:14
225 forum posts
59 photos

A new club member has come along with the only Taranus Tx in the club, however it has a jack connection which is the same as Spektrum. Can it be used for training? obviusly the taranus would have to be the master but would a spektrum operate on the buddy lead?

Andy4809/05/2018 17:38:55
1378 forum posts
1 photos

Yes It can work though I've never personally tried it, the Taranis is incredibly flexible in the way it can buddy to other transmitters. Actually the Taranis could act as either master or slave, though I presume he has a FrSky receiver.

However, unless the newbie is particularly adept at programming OpenTX it may prove very difficult to set up unless you can find someone more experienced with OpenTX to set it up for him. The flexibility does make it more complex to set up.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/05/2018 18:17:03
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

The only real issue is that OpenTx allows the user to select any channel order he wants. If he has selected the channle order Spektrum hard wires - then no problem. Even if he has not it is relatively easy task to reprogram so it is in Spektrum order. I have done this.

However, if you wish to keep the non-Spectrum channel order in the Taranis you can still do so I think - but you would have to re-map the channels in the trainer section - I believe this is possible, but I have not done this.

In my own Taranis I just have two "dummy trainer" models set up - one in Futaba channel order and one in Spektrum channel order - I just use whichever is appropriate.

BEB

Mike Blandford09/05/2018 18:58:15
529 forum posts
22 photos

Yes you may map the trainer input channels in any order you like. You also have a calibration setting so you set the trainer input centres and also you may scale the inputs. Spektrum tends to only use about 80% of the channel range the Taranis does, so you may wish to scale the inputs by a factor of 1.2 to match.

Only the first 4 trainer input channels are directly handled in the trainer setup, but the trainer inputs also appear as mix sources (TR1 to TR16). They were renamed recently from PPM1 to PPM16, but still appear (in Companion) named PPM1 to PPM4 in the trainer calibration.

You also need to use a special function to assign a switch to swap to using the trainer inputs. You also have the option to pass only some of the 4 main inputs, so the instructor could, for example, keep control of the throttle while passing the rudder, aileron and elevator to the student.

In passing, in ersky9x firmware I have 4 "trainer profiles" available, so if you do a lot of instruction you may have the trainer setup for 4 different student transmitters, and simply select the one you require.

Mike

Andy4809/05/2018 19:24:48
1378 forum posts
1 photos

Remember guys, this is a beginner with a trainer and a Taranis transmitter, and nobody else in the club has a Taranis. I suspect your posts may well be too complex for the learner or for other club members.

Chris Bott - Moderator09/05/2018 20:42:11
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Glen, if you have a copy or can access the April 2017 Issue of RCM&E (it has a Bolero on the cover) there's an article about a DIY wireless buddy system that works between Spektrum and Taranis.

That's one way.

If you want to use a cable, the top half of page 80 still applies. it's a walk through of how to set up the buddy section of the Taranis.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/05/2018 20:51:04
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Don't rule out the power of the internet. Taranis and OpenTx has really embraced the Video Tutorial concept. - take a look here for example!

All explained for you - or him! A beginner could follow that and with a bit of experimentation should be OK

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/05/2018 20:53:14

Andy4809/05/2018 21:30:04
1378 forum posts
1 photos

Setting up a buddy system is in my docs too:

**LINK**

Section 9 "How to"

I still maintain that for a beginner who maybe understands very little of how any transmitter works, let alone OpenTX or for another club member who has no understanding of OpenTX, following either documentation or a video is going to prove difficult.

Its not just the trainer system but also about setting up the model correctly, and essential basic issues such as failsafes.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/05/2018 21:36:29
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I've seen young students achieve remarkable things with OpenTx in only a few days by "playing" - its a different way of learning and its very effective. Don't underestimate what people can achieve Andy - OpenTx ain't that difficult. The problem is some people keep telling every one that it is - and discouraging them!

If he follows the video, has a go, then shows us what he's come up with - I'm sure we can sort him.

BEB

Andy4809/05/2018 22:00:00
1378 forum posts
1 photos

I've been working with using computers with literally thousands of young and older for nearly 40 years, please don't lecture me on what either young people or older people can achieve!

Chris Bott - Moderator09/05/2018 22:09:18
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Ooh this sounds like a challenge, if you're still with us Glenn?

Lot's of different sources of information are always good, then a user can pick the form that suits them best.

There's also RCdiy which I like, and OpenTx University to try.

Here's the magazine page that I mentioned. There are a number of steps, but none of them are particularly difficult. (Hopefully the publisher won't mind )

With a bit of luck the forum will allow enough resolution to read this? Click to zoom in.

april17p80.jpg

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/05/2018 22:19:48
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 09/05/2018 22:00:00:

I've been working with using computers with literally thousands of young and older for nearly 40 years, please don't lecture me on what either young people or older people can achieve!

I wasn't seeking to lecture you Andy - merely to share an exerience in the hope that you would see that there is often more than just one path to any any end-point..

BEB

Mike Blandford09/05/2018 23:23:59
529 forum posts
22 photos

Using the trainer menu is useful as it replaces the normal stick values with those from the student radio before inputs and mixers are processed.
However, for a simple 4-channel model with no special mixes, there is a quick way of just using mixes for the trainer function:

CH1: Ail weight(100%)
R TR2 weight(100%) Switch(SHv) -- A "replace" mix

The first mix is the normal aileron mix, the second uses channel 2 (assuming TAER order this is aileron) from the student radio when the SH switch is active. I don't know for certain with openTx, but with ersky9x, this second mix will automatically become inactive if there is no valid trainer input.

Mike

Glenn Philbrick10/05/2018 09:00:33
225 forum posts
59 photos

Thanks for all the replies. At least we now know that it is feasable. I think the video should be very helpful but I must admit I have never come across a taranis before so should be in for some fun and games.

Glenn

Andy4810/05/2018 10:21:01
1378 forum posts
1 photos

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/05/2018 22:19:48:

Posted by Andy48 on 09/05/2018 22:00:00:

I wasn't seeking to lecture you Andy - merely to share an exerience in the hope that you would see that there is often more than just one path to any any end-point..

BEB

I am all too well aware that there are various paths. I was simply trying to make the point that while technically it is straightforward, unless one party has a reasonable experience of OpenTX and of setting up models it can be difficult and frustrating. Much depends on how much time both instructor and pupil are prepared to spend in setting up the system.

I am also aware that making too big a hill to climb for a beginner could end up with the beginner walking away from the hobby.

A far simpler solution would be for the pupil to borrow a Spekky receiver, and use the Taranis as the slave transmitter for now.

Mike Blandford10/05/2018 10:35:46
529 forum posts
22 photos

By using the method I posted above, (which was the only method at one time) all the required settings are in a model, so it is then possible to create a model in Companion and post it for the OP to just copy to the Taranis.

Mike

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/05/2018 12:15:35
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I think that could be a good idea to get him started too. If the OP PM's Mike (it was your idea Mike!) with his email address, then Mike could email a dummy "Spektrum Model" EEEP file to Gynn. Glynn passes that to the beginner, the beginner installs it on his Taranis and we're in business. It won't work perfectly straight off (no calibration been done for example) but the basic program in the right channel order will be there and we can advise him how to tweak it.

BEB

Andy4810/05/2018 13:49:00
1378 forum posts
1 photos

Can I say I still think you are all offering inappropriate advice at this stage. All we know so far is:

a. Nobody in the club has experience of the Taranis and OpenTX.

b. We know next to nothing about the beginner except he has a Taranis.

Before offering any advice, can I ask Glenn to fill us in on the background information that will help us work with you to decide an appropriate way forward:

a. Has the beginner already set up his model using the Taranis, and has it been flown by somebody in the club using that transmitter. If not then:

b. Is he /she (I'll assume its a he) reasonably computer literate?

c. How much knowledge of setting up a trainer does he have?

d. Why and where did he buy the Taranis? This could be important, it may need updating to latest firmware, EU specs etc, before it will even bind. Also many of the documents/videos make little sense due to them referring to later or earlier versions of the firmware. Copying a file onto Companion is not that straightforward either depending on which version of OpenTX he has. For all we know he may still be on OpenTX 1 if he bought the transmitter second hand!

e. In your opinion is it worth spending your time sorting the system out for him or is he one of those that will probably drift away from the club once he realises its not all as easy as it looks.

f. How computer literate are you? Are you prepared to spend the time alongside your pupil getting to know OpenTX?

Finally there is another issue which nobody has given much thought to. Will Glenn be wanting to use his radio as the master and the Taranis as slave as would be appropriate for both users. If so then the model will need a Spektrum receiver in it or the master will need a FrSky transmitter module. If the answer to question (a) above is no, them personally I think the best solution would be to borrow a receiver or buy a cheap Orange receiver until such time as the buddy box is no longer needed. Programming the Taranis then becomes far simpler and once the OpenTX version number is known, then a very simple slave file could emailed.

Howard Wilton10/05/2018 14:25:15
2 forum posts

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your help and advice

I'm Glenn's pupil...I'm not a complete beginner as I taught myself to 'fly' while working on Grand Turk in Turks & Caicos with hand launched EPP trainers and flying wings from CrashTestHobby in Utah.. with a Eurgle 9X Tx ( inside its an early FrSky ) which I can program....no other flyers around

I bought a Taranis QX7 as I thought rusty old Eurgle TX was dead, but it now works again after I cleaned all the contacts inside.

Almost constant trade winds on GT, usually 15mph+, so spent a lot of time searching for my planes downwind in the bush..always flew on the upwind side of the island... no grass fields there, sandy beach or limestone bedrock as LZs,...I usually just found a bush without thorns to 'land' in. Guys here keep saying its too windy to fly!

I'm computer literate? but have not got to grips with OpenTX Companion yet, making slow progress with QX7

I've joined Thanet Model FC as I want to learn to fly 'properly' on a plane with wheels, and I'm in process of converting / finishing an old UnoWot off Ebay to electric. on GT I spent more time building than flying!

Best regards, Howard

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/05/2018 17:42:39
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 10/05/2018 13:49:00:

Can I say I still think you are all offering inappropriate advice at this stage. All we know so far is:

a. Nobody in the club has experience of the Taranis and OpenTX.

b. We know next to nothing about the beginner except he has a Taranis.

Before offering any advice, can I ask Glenn to fill us in on the background information that will help us work with you to decide an appropriate way forward:

a. Has the beginner already set up his model using the Taranis, and has it been flown by somebody in the club using that transmitter. If not then:

b. Is he /she (I'll assume its a he) reasonably computer literate?

c. How much knowledge of setting up a trainer does he have?

d. Why and where did he buy the Taranis? This could be important, it may need updating to latest firmware, EU specs etc, before it will even bind. Also many of the documents/videos make little sense due to them referring to later or earlier versions of the firmware. Copying a file onto Companion is not that straightforward either depending on which version of OpenTX he has. For all we know he may still be on OpenTX 1 if he bought the transmitter second hand!

e. In your opinion is it worth spending your time sorting the system out for him or is he one of those that will probably drift away from the club once he realises its not all as easy as it looks.

f. How computer literate are you? Are you prepared to spend the time alongside your pupil getting to know OpenTX?

Finally there is another issue which nobody has given much thought to. Will Glenn be wanting to use his radio as the master and the Taranis as slave as would be appropriate for both users. If so then the model will need a Spektrum receiver in it or the master will need a FrSky transmitter module. If the answer to question (a) above is no, them personally I think the best solution would be to borrow a receiver or buy a cheap Orange receiver until such time as the buddy box is no longer needed. Programming the Taranis then becomes far simpler and once the OpenTX version number is known, then a very simple slave file could emailed.

And you accuse me of lecturing!! Sheesh! We're just trying to help someone Andy that's all. And we are entitled to disagree with you - we think it can be done. OK, you've stated your position, I've stated mine - can we move on now?

BEB

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us