Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Precedent models from the 80, Hi-Boy, Low-Boy and Supernova

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Marsh16/05/2018 20:03:12
3291 forum posts
916 photos

I still have a Lo-Boy, bought it from Graham's Hobbyworld in Stoke, during the 90's Bit old, and needs a new canopy, but flew it again a year or so ago...

I had a Hi-Fly, called it "Yellow Mellow"...

hifly.jpg

Robin Colbourne16/05/2018 20:07:18
387 forum posts
4 photos

Regarding the Super Nova, why not call SLEC/Balsacraft and ask them about its history?

Whatever you do find out, come back and tell us please!

Levanter16/05/2018 20:29:17
745 forum posts
366 photos

I have a Lo Boy 5 under construction. It is one of my fill in models when I get bored with the others. Wings joined but with a very slight amount of dihedral just to stop them looking droopy. The wing joiner had to be sunk a couple of millimetres more but it hardly shows. Does mean that I will have to split the flaps but they can still be operated from the single servo with a forked pushrod.
​Quite a lot of ply has been taken out to lighten the sides.
​Will be my first veneered foam wing job.

Levanter

Keith Lomax16/05/2018 21:28:21
175 forum posts

I had a lo-boy 5 that I had purchased at a club auction. I took it on the one occasion that I went to the flying holiday in North Yorkshire (can't remember the name but it took over a holiday camp). I was helping to run one of the two RC fields, about 5 miles away, so I didn't get much chance to fly. At the end of one day, my colleague said "go on then, have a quick one". I did all the pre-flight checks, started it up, took off, throttled back and was just about to start a circuit. For some reason it lost signal (no failsafe in those days) so off it went, straight and level, about 1/3 throttle. I found it in a hawthorn hedge about a mile away.

Chris Channon17/05/2018 00:50:59
520 forum posts
Hi Alan, yes you are correct, i forgot the re-vamp was "Lo-Boy 5 with flap" Then the turbo came out, i have to admit i thought they were brilliant for the time, teally nice easy build, i will have to look out for another.
Regards
Chris.C. ( stand corrected dept )
Richard Clayton 417/05/2018 22:05:38
7 forum posts
6 photos
Chris.
The Lo-boy 5 with flap is how they marketed the original version (see my pics of the 2 different boxes earlier on the thread). The revamped version was still 5 channel with a central flap but the box featured this less prominently and just called the model a Lo-boy 5

Edited By Richard Clayton 4 on 17/05/2018 22:06:14

Chris Channon17/05/2018 23:42:53
520 forum posts
Cheers Richard, i am not often right !!😁
Regards
Chris.C
Chris Channon17/05/2018 23:44:31
520 forum posts
I am just wondering if the 1st lo-boy i built I didn't bother with the flap and on the last one I built as 5 ch.
Age thing !!
Chris.C.
Richard Clayton 418/05/2018 06:56:36
7 forum posts
6 photos
I built my Lo-boy without the flap as I only had a 4 chanel radio back then.
A good reliable Fleet Custom 111 35mhz jobbie.
I was one of the first in my club on 35Mhz. A lot of the others still were on 27Mhz AM sets.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues