Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Irvine 53 issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon - Laser Engines07/11/2019 08:37:01
4837 forum posts
180 photos

If your slow run needle looks like the one in the picture below then the o rings you need are BS004. If you cant find them elsewhere send me (laser) a self addressed envelope with a few 1st class stamps to cover about a quid and i will send you some.

Nigel R07/11/2019 08:54:54
3109 forum posts
479 photos

there is still some stock of spares for these carbs

**LINK**

conrad taggart09/11/2019 15:56:09
96 forum posts
5 photos

Jon that's a very kind offer. Just managed to retrieve my plane from storage the needle look like which is slightly different to the one shown in your pic **LINK** (better picture than the one I just managed to take).

In the meantime, I managed to get my hands on an overhaul kit identical to this **LINK**.

Can anybody please tell me which if any (given that the needle is a different design) of the small o rings I should fit and does it simply fit into the brass bit of the carb where the needle came came out of  (if it does there was no o-ring present when I removed the needle) ?

img_0559.jpg

Thanks 

Edited By conrad taggart on 09/11/2019 15:59:50

Edited By conrad taggart on 09/11/2019 16:39:02

conrad taggart09/11/2019 16:48:49
96 forum posts
5 photos

Sorry here is the o-ring over-haul kit i was referring to above (second link) **LINK**

Frank Skilbeck09/11/2019 17:06:57
4498 forum posts
101 photos

The O ring should go in the groove on the slow speed needle just behind the screwdriver slot, the Ripmax photo shows a low speed needle with the O ring fitted.

conrad taggart09/11/2019 17:52:05
96 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Frank. I wonder if my needle is an old / problematic design as Jon's needle has 2 o-rings and this is what the last poster , Tom Doyle, some 10 years ago was getting at before I resurrected this thread see below. I guess they would have had to send out needles and o-rings even if the needle part was the same as they both lost their's in flight ...

"Just come across this thread so my contribution is probably too late. I and two clubmates have all had similar problems with Irvine 53s i.e. undersize/loose fitting 'O' rings on idle mixture screw. I was the luckiest in that I noticed the idle screw on my 53 had almost unscrewed itself during pre-flight checks. My two clubmates weren't so lucky, their mixture scews dropped out in flight! All three engines suffered this problem after about half a dozen flights. Interestingly, Ripmax sent out new mixture screws immediately and without quibbling - we got the feeling we wern't the first to experience this particular problem and that Irvine may have had a quality issue.

Tom D"

conrad taggart09/11/2019 17:54:35
96 forum posts
5 photos

Double post - deleted 

Edited By conrad taggart on 09/11/2019 18:16:21

alex nicol09/11/2019 19:50:06
302 forum posts
15 photos

In support of Conrads post I've experienced the same, twice over.

The Irivine 53 has been my favoured weapon of choice for several years. I've currently got 3 of them, 2 with the black carb and one with the silver OS carb. Of the 2 black carbs one has had a lot of use ( several years) and the other has only been in use for a couple of seasons and the OS carb one has only recently been taken out of the box.

The high mileage one exhibited the loose idle needle fault after a couple of years, to resolve I lightly nicked the bottom couple of threads on the needle which gave enough resistance to cure the fault. When I took the 2nd engine out of the box, the idle needle felt very loose, so it was subjected to the thread nick solution and I'm pleased to say both engines remain trouble free to this day.

Alex

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us