Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Radio systems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glenn Stevenson18/05/2018 23:07:46
38 forum posts
3 photos

Hi, Had one or two mishaps when my spektrum equipment has appeared to lose control of my models for a few seconds. Many flying friends recommend ditching spektrum and indeed have swapped to Futaba themselves to rectify these problems. Anybody having radio glitches seems to be confined to spektrum users.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Glenn

Tom Sharp 219/05/2018 01:23:47
3554 forum posts
18 photos

You will soon learn, that on here, there are many thoughts on this subject.

Tom Thomas19/05/2018 02:55:50
315 forum posts
207 photos

Glenn, search this site, make sure you have a few days off work. wink

Piers Bowlan19/05/2018 06:16:08
1887 forum posts
45 photos

Oh dear, I predict it will degenerate into one of those threads. Hard hats on, TAKE COVER EVERYBODY!!

Percy Verance19/05/2018 06:33:11
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Reading the OP, I don't see anything we've not seen previously..........

Percy Verance19/05/2018 06:33:13
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Reading the OP, I don't see anything we've not seen previously..........

I would add that Glen seems to have chosen his friends well.

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:41:17

cymaz19/05/2018 06:40:15
8765 forum posts
1190 photos

Keep all your Rx and Tx batteries in good condition. Install the radio gear as per manual. If you have the ability put the Tx aerial in the correct position. I think these tips will successful in any radio brand.

Percy Verance19/05/2018 06:42:51
8108 forum posts
155 photos

A further useful tip could be to follow his friend's advice. 

Cymaz

I'd also recommend Glenn ensures he places his radio gear in the most suitable position. In this particular instance I'd suggest the box it came in.

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:51:22

Glenn Stevenson19/05/2018 06:50:17
38 forum posts
3 photos

The spektrum has many good features but if it cant be relied on in flight then it will need replacing. I like the look of the Hitec flash 8, Anybody use this?

Percy Verance19/05/2018 07:03:05
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Glenn

The HiTec Flash 8 certainly has much to commend it. It's also sound value for money, with quite reasonable receiver prices. It perhaps falls down a touch with a lack of telemetry capability etc, but it's a sound reliable radio non the less. If I were looking at at a new radio at around the £200 mark, it would be on my list.

There are other options too, such as FRsky. It wouldn't be my choice personally as I don't care for the styling. Lots of flyers are moving to it though, because it offers open source programming. In effect this means there are no fixed software menus, and it can be set-up the way you want it. This will mean you'll spend a little more time than previously setting up models etc, but many feel that's a fair trade off for the hugely increased flexibility. Some may consider this a minus point, as they prefer to fly rather than compute. Horses for courses maybe?

Futaba were a massively popular brand back in the 70's and 80's, but these days seem to have lost quite a lot of their market share to other brands. It still seems reliable though, so may be an option.

Just be sure to go for a recognised brand, because this will ensure you have access to reliable service and repairs if and when you need them. Until quite recently some Spektrum users were experiencing considerable difficulty with servicing/repair arrangements.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 07:18:37

Anthony Scott 219/05/2018 07:20:54
77 forum posts
12 photos

My Flash 8 is telemetry capable as standard for Rx battery with Maxima & Optima Rxs. There are telemetry modules available for:-

GPS

RPM

TEMP

SERVO CURRENT DRAW

AIRSPEED & ALTIMETER

Percy Verance19/05/2018 07:34:14
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Glenn/Anthony

It appears HiTec have got their act together with telemetry, with the availabilty situation improving somewhat over how it was a couple of years back. In that case I'd say the Flash 8 is certainly worthy of considertion.

The Aurora 9 has done well for HiTec over the past few years, although it's now discontinued. I guess that sort of makes the Flash 8 HiTec's front runner?

Take a look at Frsky Glenn, as it does seem popular now. Receiver and other accessory prices are reasonable too, although as I mentioned earler the styling doesn't work for me personally. But there again, some find the styling of my preferred radio rather odd........

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 07:36:41

Brian Cooper19/05/2018 07:48:16
449 forum posts
20 photos

I have been in this hobby (flying R/C) for over 54 glorious years, and during that time I have witnessed any number of people crashing their aeroplanes left, right and centre.

Human nature dictates that as soon as a treasured model crashes, its proud owner declares "radio interference". Sometimes he is right and sometimes (mostly) it is "dumb thumbs". It isn't too difficult to tell them apart if witnessing a crash.

Spektrum is the radio which everyone loves to hate, and I guess no matter how many words are written in support of it, people will have their entrenched views whether they are right or wrong.

So when a model crashes and it has Spektrum radio equipment inside, it is a wonderful opportunity to add to the tales of woe for that marque. . . Strangely, when a model crashes and it has Multiplex or Futaba, or any other make of radio (and it happens a lot), people are reluctant to publicly slag-off their radio.

For example, I was at a site a while ago and three aircraft were flying. One had Multiplex, one had Futaba and one had Spektrum DSMX radio. Very suddenly, two of the models simultaneously locked out and fell out of the sky and were obliterated. Clearly it was interference but the one still flying had Spektrum radio. . The owners of the crashed models did not go public with their disasters, but I wouldn't mind betting they would have done so if they had crashed with Spektrum gear on-board. . . Of course, no-one would commit the heresy of daring to criticise Multiplex radio for fear of being publicly burnt at the stake, eh...!!

surprise

It can be a strange world at times.

B.C.

Old Geezer19/05/2018 08:07:36
632 forum posts

Interestingly - although HK have produced a very well priced ( and specified ) weekend flier's Tx I have only ever seen one down at the field, it's owner was very pleased with his, not had any problems with it whatsoever. The latest iteration looks very tempting at the price - the biggest problem is the vile orange case. Anyone have hands on experience of HK Tx's ?

Peter Miller19/05/2018 08:37:31
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

I have had one of the earliest DX7s ever since they arrived in the country many years ago. Never had a glitch.

Several others in our club, same story except for a DX8 which the owner has since sold.

flight119/05/2018 08:53:43
630 forum posts
33 photos

Radios become a personnel choice on whats you are happy with and you tend to be influenced on what you see around you. as far as the main brands they all perform well and quite often the choice is made by your budget and how it looks.

Now if It was me looking for a <£200 radio the Graupner mz 12 (12 channels) would be hight on the list with frsky then Multiplex and futaba further down as cost features come in play and rx's become quite dear .

and if budget was not a issue Jeti would be got, but even then I can duplex a transmission with my Taranis and a plug in module (FrSky R9M)

all you got to decide is what do you fancy

Cuban819/05/2018 09:22:17
2768 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:42:51:

A further useful tip could be to follow his friend's advice.

Cymaz

I'd also recommend Glenn ensures he places his radio gear in the most suitable position. In this particular instance I'd suggest the box it came in.

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:51:22

And I bet you hate Microsoft as well............................laugh

Ron Gray19/05/2018 09:28:19
1487 forum posts
363 photos

As mentioned above, take a look at the HK radio gear, it is cheap but in £p only, quality and performance is really good. My son-in-law bought one for quad flying about 18 months ago, not a single issue with it!

PS I'm a FrSky user but also don't like Microsoft but have to use it for work. Fortunately Windows runs ok on my Mac!

Edited By Ron Gray on 19/05/2018 09:30:24

Solly19/05/2018 09:41:47
241 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/05/2018 08:37:31:

I have had one of the earliest DX7s ever since they arrived in the country many years ago. Never had a glitch.

Several others in our club, same story except for a DX8 which the owner has since sold.

Same here. I still fly an original DX7 and also a new DX9. Both have been completely faultless.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/05/2018 09:55:29
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by cymaz on 19/05/2018 06:40:15:

Keep all your Rx and Tx batteries in good condition. Install the radio gear as per manual. If you have the ability put the Tx aerial in the correct position. I think these tips will successful in any radio brand.

Glen, above is the voice of wisdom and reason. Do that and any of the main brands will, in my opinion, perform well for you. I'm not saying your radio may not have a fault, but if it does its just down to that specific equipment I believe and not a generic fault with the brand. And in case anyone is wondering, no I am not Spektrum user, or even particularly a fan of the brand. But I don't believe it has some kind of inbuilt fault either. Take a look at our recent Tx poll, most crashes are in the hands of Spektrum users for the simple reason that they are the biggest selling brand!

Like Brian above I've seen a lot of crashes in my time (some of them at first hand!) and its not that common for a pilot to put his hand up and say "my fault - I screwed up". But the reality is, in my view, that is the number one reason for most crashes. Second would come dodgy installation; Rx's poorly installed, aerials badly positioned, using batteries that are on their last legs to save a few coppers etc. Third would come model failure - wing falls off etc. (don't laugh - think about it, its surprisingly common!) A very distant fourth these days, along with mid-air collisions etc., would come radio failure/fault - I believe its that rare.

So my advice would be: buy with confidence the brand that appeals to you and leave the conspiracy theorists to do their stuff. smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/05/2018 09:58:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us