Forum sponsored by CML

Electricity Pylon Interference?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gangster22/05/2018 16:18:04
797 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by MaL on 22/05/2018 12:31:26:

Don't the grid still allow data burst over the network?.. I seem to remember that was the potential issue in the past, not the 50Hz. As it is not a continual stream you could never be sure if it was a data burst that caused the rx glitch.

This brings back memories. I recall that as well as their own telemetry over the actual conductor I recall they were going to create a national network by stringing up fibre optic cables between the pylons. Anyone know what happened to that

JohnP2522/05/2018 18:08:12
81 forum posts
3 photos

I guess that’s an “ah oops, a bit too close then”.

Over or under next time. Definitely not through.

😊

J

Old Geezer22/05/2018 18:11:53
532 forum posts

Sort of on the theme of OH power lines - adjacent to a field we flew off for years were 4 X 300V?/400V? distribution cables on the usual wooden poles running parallel to the fence. One afternoon someone ( in the absence of any club members ) decided to fly a C/L plane - on our R/C field - to cut a long story short - pilot stumbled, let go handle, C/L plane became F/F and departed climbing towards the OH cables trailing two 30-odd foot lengths of lay-straight behind it. Said lay-straight caught on the hi-V OH power cable which stopped the fly-away, but ----- the C/L plane then wrapped it's by now anything but straight control cables several times around the power cables and shorted them out putting a couple of hundred houses onto candle power only.

There was, as expected, a bit of a hoohaa. At least we were able to say, in all honesty, nothing do with us guvnor.

Keith Lomax27/05/2018 10:09:02
185 forum posts

Don't forget, of course, that it is illegal to fly within a 50 metre radius of the wires.

John Privett27/05/2018 10:31:43
5779 forum posts
226 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 22/05/2018 08:52:45:

I think you're referring to Pickets Lock at the Lea Vally Centre, Pete. That was years ago, possibly 30+ and IIRC, it was just a one-off. Remember seeing a Flair Hannibal being demonstrated and thinking how big the model was - how times change.

That's the one I was thinking of too. Quite a windy day if I remember correctly, I've only got a vague recollection of there being pylons at the site. I was also thinking it can't possibly have been as long as 30 years ago, but it would have been before either of my daughters were born - and my eldest will be 28 this year... Heck, how time flies!

Mike T27/05/2018 12:46:52
354 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by gangster on 22/05/2018 16:18:04:

This brings back memories. I recall that as well as their own telemetry over the actual conductor I recall they were going to create a national network by stringing up fibre optic cables between the pylons. Anyone know what happened to that

Much of the UK's fibre-optic 'backbone' network is installed on the earth wire that runs across the peaks of the towers. A bobbin was devised which spun the FO around the earth wire.

Steve J27/05/2018 12:57:57
763 forum posts
31 photos
Posted by Keith Lomax on 27/05/2018 10:09:02:

Don't forget, of course, that it is illegal to fly within a 50 metre radius of the wires.

Only if you are flying a Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us