Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

36" Tomboy Motor, Esc & Prop Selection

Its all rather confusing really :-(

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kit Durham22/05/2018 11:27:33
4 forum posts

After a break of some 30+ years I have re-entered the world of aeromodelling, have reaquainted myself with flying via a foamie (Ares Alara). and now am looking to build a 36" Vic Smeed Tomboy.

Having enjoyed the hassle free electric flying, electric seems the way to go but I am finding it all very confusing even after reading the beginners pages.

Could someone recommend a motor, esc and prop size, and if poss point me in the direction of a supplier, please?

Many thanks

Chris

Peter Miller22/05/2018 14:17:47
9065 forum posts
1042 photos
10 articles

Telephone George at 4 Max .Tel: 01256 782 512 He will give you expert advice.

I have been relying on his help for about a year now, always a perfect set provided. and really fast delivery

PatMc22/05/2018 17:46:04
3689 forum posts
476 photos

It's worth having a look at this thread by Michael Richardson he's doing a blog of his 44" Tomboy build. The 44" version is identical to the 36" Tomboy except for extra wing bays added as detailed on the plan. Michael's thread includes a list of hardware he intends to use.

Max Z22/05/2018 17:52:02
421 forum posts
191 photos

I have an electrified Tomboy, and I am running it on a 2s 850 mAh lipo and a 7x4 prop. Gets me up to limit of visibility many times. Unfortunately I have lost the specs of the motor, so those stats will not mean much to you. Do plan the lipo right up against the motor to get the CofG in the correct spot, mine is standing upright ahead of the windshield. Iirc I did lengthen the nose by a small amount.

I also have a plane of similar size (see the picture below), in which I intended to use the same setup with THIS 1450 kv motor. A bit too weighty maybe, but I need the weight up front anyway since the nose is so short. As it turned out, I needed much more weight up front, so I swapped the 2s for a 1Ah 3s lipo, and reduced the propeller size to 6x5. And even then I needed about 50 g of lead in the nose, bringing the total flying weight to 465 g.

To give you an idea of the consumption, the original 2s - 1450kv - 7x4 combination drew 7A static. So allowing for some load reduction when flying, say to 6A, on a 1Ah lipo you are getting max. 10 minutes motor run. That will give you more than 1.5 hours of flying/gliding enjoyment (getting it up to the limit of visibility will need some 20 seconds), so you could reduce the size of your lipo if you do not need the weight.

Best of luck with your Tomboy,

Max.

p1030165.jpg

Edited By Max Z on 22/05/2018 17:58:22

Kit Durham23/05/2018 10:08:40
4 forum posts

Many thanks for your help chaps, I am sure I will have many other questions as the build progresses.

I had forgotten how therapeutic balsabashing is 😊

Regards

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues