Forum sponsored by CML

Model & Hobby World North West......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance24/05/2018 18:09:07
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Hi Chaps

This obviously won't be of interest to all forum members, but after losing the previous Model & Hobby World shop in Lancaster last year, it appears the much rumoured new incarnation has finally appeared. As I understand it, the rights to use the trading name were acquired on the last day of opening of the previous shop.

The new shop is now based in Morecambe, at 22 Albert Road. LA4 4HB The contact number is 07435 270158

At this point I must point out that I personally have not yet visited the shop, and cannot comment regarding stock levels etc. The website appears to be a work in progress. Since the original shop ceased trading, modellers in Cumbria and North Lancashire had no local model shop. Lets hope this helps put that right......although I'll be pleasantly surprised if they hold anywhere near the stock of the old shop. 

I plan to visit asap.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/05/2018 18:19:50

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator24/05/2018 19:14:48
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

My word, something potentially interesting in Morecambe! How will they cope? wink 2

BEB

Percy Verance24/05/2018 19:31:02
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Now that's the burning question BEB.

I can imagine there may well be a few sighs of relief BEB. We had heard a new shop was about to start up, but the wait has been a long one.

There are probably somwhere in the region of 250+ potential customers from the clubs in the area I'm aware of.

Tom Sharp 224/05/2018 19:37:47
3203 forum posts
17 photos

Last time I went to Morecambe was about 1955 when they used to have a Miss Great Britain beauty contest.

To be serious I hope that the venture succeeds, I suppose a lot will depend on wether it is at the right end of town.

Percy Verance24/05/2018 19:47:54
7071 forum posts
141 photos

I think you'd get quite a surprise if you visited Morecambe today Tom. There has been substantial regeneration/investment. The whole place looks tidier, with Gypsy Rose Lee along with countless candy floss stalls, performing dolphins plus the old pier all being banished into history.

I'm not over familiar with the street layout of Morecambe, but from what I've seen on an online map, the new shop appears to be fairly central. Like you I hope it succeeds. I'm one of those people who prefer to actually see what I'm about to buy, so I'll be using it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/05/2018 19:58:40

Geoff Peacock24/05/2018 20:32:01
195 forum posts
68 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/05/2018 18:09:07:

Hi Chaps

The new shop is now based in Morecambe, at 22 Albert Road. LA4 4HB

The contact number is 07435 270158

I plan to visit asap.......

Now you tell me! I was in Morecambe on Tuesday: wish I'd known.

Percy Verance24/05/2018 21:47:54
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Geoff

I literally just spotted it yesterday. It was my understanding that the purchaser of the trading name etc. was intending to open up in Morecambe at some point. To this end I assumed the purchase would also include the website, so I have been occasionally checking the *old shop* site to see if there had been any changes or perhaps some new information. I checked yesterday afternoon expecting the usual dead site, but instead got the new shop website. It's still obviously a work in progress, but hopefully they'll get things sorted asap.

Geoff Peacock25/05/2018 00:21:28
195 forum posts
68 photos

Thanks Percy, all is forgiven! Can you post the website link please… I'm sure I won't be the only interested bloke on here.

Morecambe's always a nice run out for me, especially on a summer's day going over the Trough of Bowland - one of the benefits of being based up in t'North yes.

Percy Verance25/05/2018 06:39:05
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Geoff

The new website is at www.modelandhobbyworld.co.uk

From memory it does appear to have some visual similarities to the old site, but who cares? I previously had to drive 40 miles to my nearest model shop, but now there's one half that distance away.....

Do spread the news among those whom you fly with Geoff. We need all the model shops we can find!

Kevin 21625/05/2018 07:44:42
181 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/05/2018 18:09:07:

I plan to visit asap.

Percy

Looked at the website looks like lots on it and more to come. Googled Albert Street lots of reasonably sized shops lets hope the shop is well stocked.Would be interested in what you discover as it will be a 70 mile round trip for me.

Jon Laughton25/05/2018 11:02:47
1097 forum posts
92 photos

Good to see that someone is prepared to give it a go and 'buck the trend'! I wish them every success.

Will try to get over there sometime soon.

Jon

Percy Verance25/05/2018 13:58:59
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Kevin

It's not just a decent shop we need, it's also parking in fairly close proximity. It's a big ask I know, but the size of some of the boxes we sometimes buy means that we don't particularly want to walk too far with them.

As far as I can make out, the new shop is a father & son enterprise. If they're acTive modellers then so much the better. As I said, I plan to get there one afternoon next week. I'll post feedback on here.........

I remain convinced that we still need shops such as this. Hobbyking isn't the answer to everything........

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/05/2018 14:00:33

Christopher Long 125/05/2018 14:00:21
29 forum posts
2 photos

Er - "modellers in Cumbria and North Lancashire had no local model shop" what about Jacksons Models in Wigton? Very much in Cumbria! They stock a modest range of stuff for us Aeromodellers and if asked will order in stuff they don't normally stock. They also give a discount to our club members. I have no connection with them other than as a customer. Link **LINK**

Percy Verance25/05/2018 14:02:33
7071 forum posts
141 photos

I never heard of them before Christopher. Don't they advertise? How long have they been there?  Might I suggest they e mail the Secretaries of the local clubs to help make themselves known? That said, it'll be difficult to e mail our Secretary as my club isn't BMFA affilliated, but at least I know about them now so I'll spread the word.

In the past 40 odd years I've seen various model shops come and go in the Cumbria area. MIcron Models in Barrow, Just Engines near Carisle, The shops in Penrith and Carlisle plus others....

I actually flew with the Carlisle model shop owner at the Cumbria Steam Gathering back in the mid 70's...... a chap named John Stacey, who I think was in either the Carlisle or Penrith clubs was flying with us at the time too. As was a rather young Paul Landels........

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/05/2018 14:17:36

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/05/2018 14:21:17

Geoff Peacock25/05/2018 16:29:50
195 forum posts
68 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 25/05/2018 06:39:05:

Geoff

Do spread the news among those whom you fly with Geoff. We need all the model shops we can find!

Now posted on my club's Facebook page. Load of 'likes' already.

The owner of the shop in Lancaster used to do the club some good sponsorship deals, so no doubt some of our members will be making a trip to go paddling at Morecambe before long.

Christopher Long 125/05/2018 16:36:00
29 forum posts
2 photos

According to their website, they have been open since August 2000. As I said they don't stock a lot of stuff like kits, but they do stock glues, tools, fuel, Albion Alloys etc. They do more model railway and die cast models. But I guess if more of us used them they would stock more plane stuff.

I found them when I 'Googled' for model shops in Cumbria when we moved here in 2012.

Percy Verance25/05/2018 18:54:53
7071 forum posts
141 photos

Ah that figures Christopher. I never needed to Google because the original Model & Hobby World had been trading in Lancaster for just short of 30 years. And there was another model shop in Lancaster for years before they began trading. They were just a 20 mile or so trip for me. The new shop in Morecambe may be slightly less distance, but we'll see........

Kevin 21602/06/2018 06:42:03
181 forum posts

A club member was in Morcambe on Wednesday and said he could not find the M&HW shop. Has anyone visited it?

Percy Verance02/06/2018 07:24:30
7071 forum posts
141 photos

One assumes your club member found the address at 22 Albert Road Kevin? What did he find there? Did he try ringing the number on the website and asking for directions?

More items seem to have made it onto the website, so someone's adding them..........

I plan to visit asap but I have a bit more work going on here just now, so I don't want to leave here for any length of time until it's fairly complete.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/06/2018 07:34:15

Kevin 21602/06/2018 14:11:50
181 forum posts

Hi Percy he said he had walked down Albert Road and most of the shops were closed. Don't think he rang the number. If I can I may visit the week on 11th and look for myself.

Agree the web-site is filling quickly so there is activity..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us