Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Has Forum Activity declined?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FilmBuff31/05/2018 14:03:11
257 forum posts
28 photos
I have the feeling that Forum activty seems to be declining somewhat. Is this just me, or does the data support this.
Me? I spend more time now on Facebook groups. Just wondering.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator31/05/2018 15:12:17
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Forum use follows a fairly regular and predictable pattern.

In the winter usage is always high. To be honest you can be a rather bad tempted and fractious lot at this time! This is because you can't go out and fly! Ask any mod and he'll tell you "I dread the winter" But having said that a lot building goes on during the winter months so there are often many blogs running. Which is great.

In the summer months we're all out flying all day and come home too knackered to post much more than "had a great days flying"! And so post counts are often lower. The mood is usually much lighter and you're all sweetness and light! wink 2

Spring and Autumn? Well it sort of depends what their like. If its a warm autumn - a bit of an Indian Summer - activity remains lower. However, if its a 6 month period like last Oct to March with cold, snow, winds, loads of rain, the 'beast from the east' etc., it will be busy. Indeed we recorded some of of our highest new post counts last winter!

The variation isn't massive, its typically 10-15% or so, but it's noticable. The situation at present is not out of line with previous summer usage. It all just part of the rhythym of an RC flyer's year!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/05/2018 15:25:50

Percy Verance31/05/2018 16:11:11
8108 forum posts
155 photos

A touch morbid I know, but has any decline been at all obvious from modellers passing away? I mention this purely because in the last 18 months or so four or five flyers I regularly flew with (in various clubs over the years) have passed away. It's a sad fact that the hobby is in slow decilne. Presumably this hasn't had too much effect yet?

Edited By Percy Verance on 31/05/2018 16:28:33

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator31/05/2018 16:26:02
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well it might do one day - but no evidence of it yet! As I say current activity is basically in line with what we would expect given its a nice warm day!

Something that probably has changed, I think a lot more of us have retired and go flying in the week when the weather is good - whereas in the not too distant past we would have been stuck in work making the occassional post on here maybe?

BEB

Percy Verance31/05/2018 16:30:55
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Well that's true enough BEB. I'm now a *go flying through the day* person.......although this afternoon I can't because I'm waiting for a delivery to arrive and I'm the only one at home at the minute.......

And of course for the past few days the wind has been bending the trees, and this is the first day for almost a week with virtually no wind..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 31/05/2018 16:34:56

eflightray31/05/2018 19:24:18
607 forum posts
128 photos

In the UK a lot of modelling seems to have declined, which will also affect forums etc.

Where I live, unless a ball is involved, (carrying, licking, or hitting), youngster do not seem interested in model planes. I fly within visual distance of a school, (safe visual distance for the safety police). In the past 10 years I have never had any school kids and/or parents show any interest.

Even many of the 'oldies', usually dog walkers, I occasionally come across while flying do not seem to have a clue about aircraft names, I was once asked if my Dauntless was a Tigermoth, if my B-25 was a Lancaster, "well it does have twin fins".

The age of the, "look at that plane", (probably 40's to 70's), has gone by with the demise of piston engined aircraft. Now you only see a vapour trail up high, (or the police helicopter).

Even the local air cadets do not appear interested in flying models.

It's great. I have the whole place to myself, no annoying silly questions, or the "can you crash it mister ?" from any kids. Flying is a pleasure, I go when I want and fly what I want, (weather permitting).

As for forums, they are so full of experts, it probably frightens most beginner away.

Ray wink

Edited By eflightray on 31/05/2018 19:44:20

Paul Marsh31/05/2018 22:27:06
3845 forum posts
1114 photos

Strange enough, talking about kids when they see me puting models in the car. I was puting a twin engined model in, and this kid - about 10 years old asked me is this plane harder to fly than the others - as its got two engines. I said, it flies ok, until one engine cuts - he said it would turn and crash into the not working engine.

I was gob smacked! I said you're absolutely right, losing an engine would cause it to do that, unless you take action.
So not all kids today have got brains of a pea, there is hope, yet...enlightened

The Wright Stuff01/06/2018 10:41:34
1381 forum posts
226 photos

This is the only forum I use, and actually, if I'm honest, I quite like the manageable amount of 'activity'. It means I can actually follow threads, as opposed to anything posted being lost in the mists of time within a few hours.

I've tried some other forums before, both modelling and non-modelling related, and have found that too much activity can be just as bad as not enough. In one example, I came back to a post and had to wade through 100's of responses, most of them trivial like 'lol dude'.

So, quality of activity, not quantity of activity, is what keeps me here. smiley

Former Member01/06/2018 10:44:47
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

SIMON CRAGG01/06/2018 12:10:13
544 forum posts
15 photos

I have recently left another forum due to dwindling numbers. Generally, I think model flying is nowhere near as popular as it was. Our club numbers are down on where we expect to be at this time of year, and this is supported by less activity at the patch.

Why?

Sadly, older members passing away.

A LOT less model shops around to promote the hobby.

Computer "games" which involve flying and can be done in the warm, in yer PJ's, and not on a windswept field with a flask of lukewarm tea, numb fingers and an awkward engine!.

"Instant Gratification", these days people seem to "want it....want it now!"........our hobby takes a while to get to grips with, especially if you are building from plans and are a slow learner.

Possibly "Drones"......bought virtually everywhere and can be flown in the back garden.

Loads more reasons, but these are just a few.............

I have always found this forum to be very helpful, and a real one stop shop for modelling questions etc.

Long may it continue!

Safe flying. Simon

AVC01/06/2018 12:24:01
539 forum posts
147 photos

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 01/06/2018 12:10:13:

"Instant Gratification", these days people seem to "want it....want it now!"........our hobby takes a while to get to grips with, especially if you are building from plans and are a slow learner.

Spot on, Simon. Our hobby is probably one of the most rewarding ones, but also the one that takes longer to reward, and today's people don't want to wait; they want it with no effort. I'm trying to get my kids involved, and to be honest they are very interested, but they get bored soon because they can't do a stall turn before learning to take off...

By the way, it's been a long time since I posted last time (I was doing the Ballerina MB, which BTW is still unfinished...). I may get more active going forward! smiley

Josip Vrandecic -Mes01/06/2018 12:25:38
2993 forum posts
260 photos

''So, quality of activity, not quantity of activity, is what keeps me here. '' ...quote from Mr. The Wright Stuff.

Thanks a lot all clear.thumbs up

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 01/06/2018 12:26:15

SIMON CRAGG01/06/2018 13:37:43
544 forum posts
15 photos

My Grandson really got to grips with the Phoenix flight sim when he was younger. I thought he would really take to building / flying at one stage. Had a session up the slope "makes me feel dizzy".......and powered buddy session "it was alright but.............".

He then discovered games on his PC........and that was the end of his RC career!.

Dai Fledermaus01/06/2018 13:41:35
1054 forum posts
52 photos

Of the 35 members in our club, only 3 of us are Forum members. Not sure what that says, but that's the situation.

FilmBuff01/06/2018 17:09:54
257 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 01/06/2018 13:41:35:

Of the 35 members in our club, only 3 of us are Forum members. Not sure what that says, but that's the situation.

Interesting. Do you happen to know if the others use other Forums or Facebook?

Dai Fledermaus01/06/2018 17:51:19
1054 forum posts
52 photos
Posted by FilmBuff on 01/06/2018 17:09:54:
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 01/06/2018 13:41:35:

Interesting. Do you happen to know if the others use other Forums or Facebook?

One or two use the Balsa Model Builders Association on Facebook and that's about it I think.

RC Plane Flyer01/06/2018 18:45:57
687 forum posts
19 photos

This query post was placed yesterday at 14.30 and so far has had over 900 views so there is some reading taking place, maybe not a lot replies

Long Live the Forum

Former Member01/06/2018 19:15:53
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us