Forum sponsored by CML

Is this yet another scam

Strange call

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Megawatt17/05/2019 10:45:04
19 forum posts

Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 17/05/2019 10:20:44:

A year or so ago I had a call from IRD (tax dept) from an Indian. Hmmm??? So I asked for his name and said I'd ring back. I rang IRD and told the girl who answered. She laughed, said it was actually genuine but she'd handle it. Yes, it was genuine and she knew why I was doing what I was doing but you can't be too careful.

If it might be genuine, look it up in the phone book and ring. A number from the caller might not be correct.

And either use a different phone, your mobile perhaps, or dial a known number first to make sure that the call has cleared. The call does not shutdown until they hang up and there have been cases where they play a dial tone until they hear you redial and then pass the line to another scammer.

Edited By Megawatt on 17/05/2019 10:50:35

Peter Miller22/05/2019 14:18:24
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

Another new one has been on my phone twice. Must have been dreamed up by a truly moronic individual but it could worry some of the less experienced or more easily confused old people.

The well educated English voice says that it is a call from a "Law enforcement agency" and that a case has been filed against my name. My National Insurance number has been frozen. Press 1 to speak to my case officer"

Unfortunately I am aware that pressing 1will probably cost me a lot on my phone bill.

I would like to have been able to suggest that he tells his parents (if he ever knew them and they are both human) to get married.

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/05/2019 14:19:34

stephen craggs22/05/2019 14:27:47
21 forum posts

I had a call earlier this year supposedly from HMRC. A rather disjointed recording in an american voice said i was due to pay a rather large sum in overdue taxes and should contact my legal representative. The voice went on in a rather threatening tone that failure to press 1 and speak to an agent would result in court proceedings. As a "tax exile" I live in Portugal and know not to press any button. Several months on and I have still not been taken to court.

Peter Miller22/05/2019 14:49:36
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

Oh yes! The HMRC one!!

Percy Verance22/05/2019 14:51:12
7909 forum posts
152 photos

It's a load of old cobblers Stephen. They're just trying it on. Ignore it.....

Peter Miller22/05/2019 14:57:27
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

I would be surprised if anyone reading this thread thought that any one was not a scam

stephen craggs22/05/2019 14:58:35
21 forum posts

Percy, I used to own a hotel and got used to all the tricks that are tried.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us