Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Take off into wind ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Emms 110/06/2018 07:36:45
233 forum posts
Posted by john stones 1 on 09/06/2018 10:46:17:

Same here, we have dead areas either end, so if you mess up a little it's no biggie, gradually we taught/encouraged landing parallel and dealing with crosswinds, rudder/elevator models or other types affected badly by the breeze, pilots less able or confident ? a solution is there so you can fly n enjoy your day, it's not gonna be aiming at the crowd line though.

John, I am assuming that you are quite competent in using the rudder during cross wind landings, though I don't need to (until the last couple of seconds) using my method.

The way to check if the crosswind issue with rudder elevator models is down to the pilot is to try it yourself with an old rudder elevator model. I guarantee that you will suddenly become one of the less competent pilots.

It is said that rudder elevator models rely on the secondary effect of rudder ie yaw is followed by roll, but from observing the effect with a number of rudder elevator models, I am convinced that it is the dihedral that presents one wing at a higher aoa to the oncoming air when the model is yawed, and that it is the higher aoa that results in the roll for turn. This argument is supported by the fact that a model without dihedral will simply yaw with rudder, and not roll.

The issue with cross wind take off with a R/E model is that immediately you are presenting one wing at a higher aoa, so as soon as the model is lifting off the ground there will be a very strong roll, and most times, that will result in the model rolling into the ground. The same is true on landing, because as soon as the model is on the ground, it then has one wing presented at a higher aoa, and in a good cross wind, it will roll and crash. The good R/E pilot will make sure that the model is facing directly into wind for take off, and in a decent breeze, will need to land directly into wind - learnt over many years of getting it wrong.

Of course, if the flying of ANY model would result in over flying a crowd line, or pits area, then the thing to do is simply not fly that model at that time.

Regards,

John

Nigel R11/06/2018 14:40:54
2981 forum posts
471 photos

I favour the approach described by John. Come in parallel to runway, apply bootful of rudder at touchdown. Takeoff is generally ok with rudder correction until moment of liftoff. Rudder elevator types can be much trickier - I prefer going sans U/C on a 3 chan.

"Of course, if the flying of ANY model would result in over flying a crowd line, or pits area, then the thing to do is simply not fly that model at that time."

See the previous post with quote about common sense.

Also, novice pilots sometimes lack the confidence to make a clear decision either way about flying (or not!) and/or takeoff direction. Some folks just simply lack common sense!

john stones 111/06/2018 14:59:22
10499 forum posts
1480 photos

I manage o.k John, flying rudder elevator doesn't make me less competent, nor does flying the likes of Cubs or Tiggies or any other sort affected adversely by cross winds, I know what's going to happen, so I either deal with it or don't fly. Your last sentence I agree with, but would add, if people need help it's available.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us