Does anyone have a spare Extra Wot wing

I am looking for a replacement wing to repair my crashed Extrawot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
supertigrefan13/06/2018 20:24:11
302 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by gangster on 13/06/2018 18:46
..............The foam core of that sort of wing has no strength. It’s in the veneer and leading and trailing edges all of which can be replaced as can missing foam.

There should be a ply spar running the length of the wingspan to add strength.

edgar13/06/2018 21:11:37
55 forum posts
26 photos

I am going to repair this, I have ordered a new wing kit from Billkits. It will be obechi covered and include joining kit, leading and trailing edges, it is £85 and it will be ready in about a month. I consider this to be good value for so much wing, made by a professional and the reduction in my faffing about. I am sure that the wing could be repaired but I feel a new wing will give me a better finished item than my repairs.

I never got a reply to my Chris Foss enquiry.

Thanks everyone for all hour helpful suggestions.

edgar14/06/2018 15:04:57
55 forum posts
26 photos

P.S.

In the interests of balanced reporting I just want to add that I had a call from Chris Foss Designs this afternoon, in response to the voicemail I left on Monday. I told him that as no one had got back to me for several days, I had now ordered from Billkits, this (understandably I suppose) didn't go down well, it would appear that in his opinion Billkits are infringing their (his?) Copyright. I was also informed that C.F. Designs would have supplied the same item for £20 less, and my he said my impatience had cost me £20. At this point or very soon afterwords the line went dead.

The message I take from this is that parts are available at a reasonable price from C.F Designs for those who are more patient. My experience in business however, is that if a call isn't replied to in 24 hours it is unlikely that it will ever be. And if it is, it isn't regarded as a priority.

Thank, I think I feel better now.

Percy Verance14/06/2018 16:00:32
6984 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Edgar

It seems rather petty Mr Foss informing you that your impatience has cost you £20 more. If his response had been quicker he'd have bagged the sale..... He appears to have overlooked the fact you chose to own and fly his product in the first place......

You are perfectly within your rights to buy your new wing from whoever you choose.

edgar14/06/2018 16:09:42
55 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Percy, thanks for your comments, I fully agree. I was tempted to say more in my posting, but I have tried to be very measured to ensure that I don't infringe any forum guidelines. I will add that I feel that my custom is much more valued by Billkits than CFD. Time will tell, my new wing should be ready in about four to six weeks.

Percy Verance14/06/2018 16:15:28
6984 forum posts
140 photos

I think you'll be happy with it Edgar. Billkits has a sound reputation.

PM sent Edgar.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/06/2018 16:22:58

Rich too14/06/2018 16:39:50
2775 forum posts
1020 photos

I agree Edgar, and nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition.

Don Fry14/06/2018 17:25:32
2632 forum posts
30 photos

I'm astonished that a wing kit is that cheap. Rebuilding foam core wings on machines of extra wot size is not straightforward, as you are not quite sure that the veneer has not sheared off the veneer/foam glue joint, and this glue joint keeps the veneer from buckling in compression load.

edgar14/06/2018 19:13:32
55 forum posts
26 photos

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us