Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Horus 10x or Taranis 9

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Hilton11/06/2018 18:28:25
83 forum posts

Hi all

My JR 9x2 is getting a bit old .I have been using it with a Fr Sky module for a while so I’m thinking ether the Taranis 9 or Horus 10 as a replacement .I haven’t found the need for more than 9 channels as yet .I would really value some comments about the pros and cons of each

Alan

Ron Gray11/06/2018 18:32:34
1415 forum posts
358 photos

Having got both the Taranis and the Horus 12, I would suggest the Horus 10, it's a lovely bit of kit.

Bob Cotsford11/06/2018 20:07:31
7829 forum posts
433 photos

Taranis - some may call it cheap and cheerfull with it's plastic case. Programming buttons used to have a tendency to break loose, but that may have been fixed in later production. Easy to change in any case, or do as I did and give them a living hinge of Evostick.

Like Ron I also have the Horus X12, the X10 is a slightly smaller case but still larger than the Taranis. The Horus looks and feels more upmarket with a more solid case and a colour screen of higher resolution.

Either can run OpenTX as the operating system so they will offer much the same in the way of programming features, the Horus comes out of the box with FrSky's own system while the Taranis is supplied with FrSky's tweaked version of OpenTX, easily upgraded to the latest OpenTX.  Either way you have a new system to learn.

The sticks on both are pretty good though the Horus will be slightly better quality and may have more feel, I wouldn't like to say as all I feel is arthritis. Switches are switches, not much to say there. I don't have any trouble finding a switch on either case style, though I don't have small hands.

Both will run in D16 mode allowing for the use of X series receivers allowing for SmartPort telemetry units to be used and also featuring SBus, so nothing to choose there.

If it were my money I'd go for the X10 just for the better build quality and pretty colour screen, in fact if my X12 packed up I'd replace it with the X10. Either transmitter will do the job, in my opinion it's really down to your budget and how much you value a slightly more solid feel to the case.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/06/2018 20:10:01

Bob Cotsford11/06/2018 20:12:02
7829 forum posts
433 photos

One thing that may sway you, the Taranis has one external aerial while the Horus has twin internal aerials - supposed to give a wider signal spread as well as being hard to knock off!

Devcon111/06/2018 20:13:21
1354 forum posts
475 photos

I started with an X9D+ after conversion to FrSky, I also recently got an amber X10 and love them both.

I still use the X9D+ for quads and have migrated all my fixed wing stuff to the X10.

If I was purchasing now it would be the X10, I didn't feel the need to go to the X10S as the Hall Sensor gimbals on the X10 feel great anyway.

Key features for me on the X10 are OpenTX, the big outdoor screen, custom screen widgets, internal antenna, flight mode rotary switch, rotary switch for adjustments and I think it looks great.

Geoff Sleath11/06/2018 20:28:29
3250 forum posts
247 photos

Definitely the X10. I have both and the X10 is only slightly bigger than the Taranis. In fact it fits in the Frsky Taranis tray with very little modification to the tray itself. The user interface is much better and the internal aerials mean there's nothing sticking out to catch.

Not sure if the X10S is worth the extra money but then, I never had a problem with the ordinary Taranis gimbals. The Horus is more expensive and only you can decide if you want to spend the extra.

Geoff

andyh11/06/2018 21:04:32
421 forum posts
22 photos

I have the original X9D. I haven't felt the urge to pay double the price for a shiny case *

* yes, I know there are some other differences before all you Horus owners start wink

Richard Wills 211/06/2018 21:28:15
165 forum posts
7 photos

Got an X10S in March to replace my DX9 and love it. Was going to get the X10 as i'm sure you can't feel the difference, but couldn't resist. Still running FrOS and I don't think I am going to bother with openTX, not found anything yet it isn't easy to do, there is a switch or knob wherever you could possibly need one, and it feels solid as a house brick. Compared to an X9D it may be a bit pricey, but compared to anything else from other brands it's amazing value.

Allan Bennett11/06/2018 21:44:35
1518 forum posts
38 photos

I've had the Taranis X9D for about a year now, and I'm not convinced that it's worth paying over twice the price for a Horus. I like the graduation marks on the stick gimbals -- especially on the throttle -- which the Taranis has and the Horus doesn't.

David Holland 211/06/2018 21:46:54
182 forum posts
23 photos

I am so tempted by an X10. I am currently using a Spektrum DX8, the original one, and it has been 100% rock solid but I am running out of model memories. I have more models than is even remotely sensible but....... and I am using DSM2 and DSMX rx's. I think I've read somewhere that it is possible to use a Spektrum compatible module with FrSky tx's and, if that is correct, what and where from should i be looking? I am quite happy to use FrSky rx"s in future (though I really like Lemon rx"s) but don't want to change the 20+ that I'm using now. Anyone more tech savvy than I able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, David.

andyh11/06/2018 22:04:33
421 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by David Holland 2 on 11/06/2018 21:46:54:

I am so tempted by an X10. I am currently using a Spektrum DX8, the original one, and it has been 100% rock solid but I am running out of model memories. I have more models than is even remotely sensible but....... and I am using DSM2 and DSMX rx's. I think I've read somewhere that it is possible to use a Spektrum compatible module with FrSky tx's and, if that is correct, what and where from should i be looking? I am quite happy to use FrSky rx"s in future (though I really like Lemon rx"s) but don't want to change the 20+ that I'm using now. Anyone more tech savvy than I able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, David.

I have a module in my X9D similar to this (I think mine is an older model) that means it can talk to DSM2/DSMX Rx's:

**LINK**

I use it for a few PNF foamies & it seems to work fine

MattyB12/06/2018 11:13:47
1913 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Alan Hilton on 11/06/2018 18:28:25:

Hi all

My JR 9x2 is getting a bit old .I have been using it with a Fr Sky module for a while so I’m thinking ether the Taranis 9 or Horus 10 as a replacement .I haven’t found the need for more than 9 channels as yet .I would really value some comments about the pros and cons of each

Alan

If you are used to and like the ergonomics of the JR 9X2 then I would stick with the original X9D Taranis Plus - it will feel immediately familiar to you when flying, and has all the power of OpenTX. It's also lighter and (a big advantage for slope flyers) plastic so your hands don't get so cold on a cold day! I would definitely upgrade to the Hall effect gimbals though, they are great.

Nothing wrong with the X10 or X10S though, if you prefer their looks go for them but I would recommend you find a way to hold one first before comitting. I have not held an X10 in the flesh but I have tried the X12S and it felt a little unwieldy to me; as a thumber I couldn't get the sticks all the way into the centre which was a bit annoying. I understand the X10 suffers the same issue if you have smallish hands.

Geoff Sleath12/06/2018 16:50:27
3250 forum posts
247 photos

The X10 Horus (Hori?) transmitters are a lot smaller than the X12 which has that big display on the top.

Out of curiosity I measured the distance from the edge of each transmitter to the centre of the joysticks and both were 40mm so there's no difference there. The X10 Horus weighs just about 1kg and the Taranis 40 grams less so there's not a lot to choose between the two on those scores.

It's down to your preferences or, perhaps more importantly, budget. I'm at the age of thinking I can't take it with me so I indulged in an X10

Geoff

Chris Bott - Moderator12/06/2018 18:29:44
6627 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
I have a Taranis and added an X12 as soon as they were available.
I'd say that the advantage of big colour screen and scroll wheel of the Horus shouldnt be underestimated.

I always found the buttons and screen of the Taranis added that extra bit of difficulty which meant I always preferred programming opentx on the PC and then transferring to the Tx.

I find Horus a completely different proposition. I hardly ever use companion (on the PC) any more. I find the amount of info on the big screen, added to the scroll wheel operation means that my preference is to do it all on the Tx.
Shortcuts to channel monitor and being able to test changes with the actual TX controls all work together very nicely indeed.
trebor28/06/2018 16:18:38
1898 forum posts
214 photos

I have just been looking at T9 hobby site at the X10, what do they mean about they sell the charge lead being the internal charging version ? Does that mean the house brick on the early leads which could get misplaced is inbuilt now ?

Edited By trebor on 28/06/2018 16:19:24

Devcon128/06/2018 16:30:24
1354 forum posts
475 photos
The early X10 had a a mobile phone type charge socket that you needed to attach a big adaptor block directly to it. A very poor idea. Frsky quickly dropped it and went back to a good old barrell type standard plug as per X9D. What T9 have is current. Go for it you won't look back.
Peter Christy28/06/2018 16:59:42
1429 forum posts

Like Alan, I have a JR 9X and also a Taranis X9D. In flight, I can't tell the difference between them, so if familiarity is important, go with the X9D.

Having said that, The X9D has been around for a while now, and I do wonder how much longer FrSky will continue to make and support them (not that I'm privy to any future plans they may have!). The X10 is a much newer transmitter, and likely to be supported further into the future than the X9D.

I stress that I have no inside information about this, its just the way the world seems to go....!

--

Pete

MattyB28/06/2018 17:32:03
1913 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 28/06/2018 16:59:42:

Like Alan, I have a JR 9X and also a Taranis X9D. In flight, I can't tell the difference between them, so if familiarity is important, go with the X9D.

Having said that, The X9D has been around for a while now, and I do wonder how much longer FrSky will continue to make and support them (not that I'm privy to any future plans they may have!). The X10 is a much newer transmitter, and likely to be supported further into the future than the X9D.

I stress that I have no inside information about this, its just the way the world seems to go....!

They have shifted huge numbers of these worldwide; even if they were to go out of production tomorrow aerials, screens and switches are off the shelf items and gimbals will be available for a long, long time to come. If FrSky did stop making spare gimbals for the X9D (which would be very short sighted) so many have been sold I suspect a 3rd party would step in to make spares anyway.

Edited By MattyB on 28/06/2018 17:33:45

Tony Richardson28/06/2018 21:05:34
598 forum posts
25 photos

Hi all, I have a Taranis and a Horus X10S, I originally had a JR 9303 on 72mhz and bought a Spektrum plug in module from Spektrum to upgrade to 2.4 this module performed flawlessly in the JR and continues to do so in both the Taranis and Horus, the only issue I have found is the Spektrum 4 channel rx's seem reluctant to bind sometimes otherwise all good. The Horus is on FrSky OS and i will keep it so, the difference between the two is noticeable in the gimbals, having never used hall sensor gimbals I find them rather sensitve but after using them for a few months now I really like them. Whichever transmitter you choose you will be learning a new system and it can be frustrating if you have a club mate who has one of these systems employ his help, both different than my JR not better not worse, that said because I am 70 if the JR had not died or Horizon were still servicing them I would still be using it I was in a way forced to change and could not justify the outlay at my age on one of the expensive brands, for the money you will not - in my opinion - find better value than the Horus X10 or X10s keep us posted.

trebor28/06/2018 21:12:41
1898 forum posts
214 photos

How are you getting on with the fixed in battery ? Does it easily last a days flying or do you have to make sure you turn it off straight away without forgetting blush

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us