Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Locking toggle switch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath13/06/2018 14:50:11
2762 forum posts
202 photos

SM models used to supply a lot of useful stuff amongst it was a toggle switch which needed to pulled before it could be changed. I have one on my GP Super Stearman and I'd like to fit one on my Maher's Thunderbird as I'm rewiring the battery and its connections.

Does anyone know of a source? I've bought a couple of switches from a supplier on eBay which seem to be substantial and more than up to the job but are not what I would call 'locking' although they're described as such. I think they mean not momentary (ie they stay where they are put). I like the idea of a switch needing a double operation to change like the ones SM supplied.

Geoff

Martin Harris13/06/2018 14:59:26
7771 forum posts
196 photos

RS Components? Very good postal service these days for small orders - although larger value purchases are still on the pricey side!

Dickw13/06/2018 15:03:56
349 forum posts
45 photos

RS components do a variety of locking toggle switches. One example here.

Not the cheapest of sources, but the description might help you find something similar elsewhere.

Dick

Martin beat me - he obviously types faster!

Edited By Dickw on 13/06/2018 15:04:43

Geoff Sleath13/06/2018 15:46:41
2762 forum posts
202 photos

Thanks, both. I should know better. I've been dealing with RS since they were called RadioSpares and the catalogue was a few sheets of paper

It just seemed hard to find the right search terms to get what I was after.

Dick the one you pointed to only has a current rating of 400mA @ 20v so I think I'll use this one which has a 4 amp rating. It's amazing that orders are sent post free! Would that HK had the same service

Geoff

PS I've ordered 2 and they'll be in parallel for extra security - switches fail more often than batteries

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 13/06/2018 15:48:24

Dickw13/06/2018 16:10:56
349 forum posts
45 photos

RS are not the cheapest but they do provide an incredible choice and do it very quickly.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

Dick

Manish Chandrayan13/06/2018 16:48:25
465 forum posts
56 photos

Geoff

What was the price at which you ordered? I see it as 82.10 GBP per unit sad

Chris Walby13/06/2018 16:57:47
600 forum posts
119 photos

Geoff,

How will you know one switch has failed?

Switch A on, powered up, switch B on, then switch A off and check and then switch A on before flying..bit of faff, but if it saves a model I suppose its worth it as long as you remember to check it every time you flyindecision

ebay do 6A SPDT? or go for two batteries to be doubly sure....HK FRS Failover Regulator Switch 5A-Plus (£14) and you might get stiffed duty on it.

At least the RS one's should be good quality...only trying to help wink

Percy Verance13/06/2018 18:03:14
6835 forum posts
138 photos

If we're talking that sort of money I think I'd just go for a Powerbox switch........

Al's Hobbies and others have them.......

Geoff Sleath13/06/2018 20:28:38
2762 forum posts
202 photos
Posted by Chris Walby on 13/06/2018 16:57:47:

Geoff,

How will you know one switch has failed?

Switch A on, powered up, switch B on, then switch A off and check and then switch A on before flying..bit of faff, but if it saves a model I suppose its worth it as long as you remember to check it every time you flyindecision

ebay do 6A SPDT? or go for two batteries to be doubly sure....HK FRS Failover Regulator Switch 5A-Plus (£14) and you might get stiffed duty on it.

At least the RS one's should be good quality...only trying to help wink

That's exactly my pre-flight protocol on the Thunderbird. It was my first petrol powered model and I was super careful with the installation. I have 2 battery monitor sockets (actually phono sockets). One is for charging/monitoring off load and the other for checking on load voltage with a meter. Not much of a faff when using a meter to check each switch is OK - and it is still on 35Mhz (Multiplex IPD synthesised receiver) though I may put it on 2.4gHz as the bigger faff is taking 2 transmitters.

I got a lot of advice from Ian Redshaw who proposed the 2 switch 1 battery scenario and he's quite experienced with models a lot bigger than my 6kg midget . He test flew it as well though these days I test fly my own models as mode 2 pilots significantly better than I are thin on the ground at Ashbourne - it concentrates the mind!

Manish: I don't know where you got your £82.10 each from. The 2 switches were £16.08in total posted inc VAT (£8.04 each).

Geoff

flight113/06/2018 22:26:57
525 forum posts
32 photos

I have used these toggle switches in the past to make my on switch harneses with a charging fly lead.

well made and still going strong

Trevor Crook14/06/2018 06:33:47
692 forum posts
53 photos

CPC Farnell also sell them.

Martin Harris14/06/2018 11:11:37
7771 forum posts
196 photos
Posted by flight1 on 13/06/2018 22:26:57:

I have used these toggle switches in the past to make my on switch harneses with a charging fly lead.

well made and still going strong

Did they enforce the £30 minimum order charge? Prices look great otherwise!

flight114/06/2018 12:04:28
525 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 14/06/2018 11:11:37:
Posted by flight1 on 13/06/2018 22:26:57:

Did they enforce the £30 minimum order charge? Prices look great otherwise!

they didn't have that when i ordered mine (two years ago and still got 2 switches for now) I suppose you just need to top up with other you think you need, shrink tube ,cable tyes etc.. mine you you could always phone them and ask

Geoff Sleath14/06/2018 13:12:41
2762 forum posts
202 photos

I received my switches from RS this morning! That's very fast service by any account.

The switches are fine - the only thing is that there's a centre OFF position but that's not really a problem. The locking mechanism seems to be fine so there's no danger of accidentally switching either way.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us