Forum sponsored by CML

Quicker build using Cyano?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ernie22/06/2018 08:48:04
2438 forum posts
8 photos

Yes cyano is indeed incredibly fast.

Of course, you have to add the time spent in A&E getting your fingers detached from whatever got itchy just after you completed the tailplane

ernie

onetenor22/06/2018 15:14:28
1752 forum posts

I still like balsa cement /UHU Hart (thinned for preference) and applied with a fine brush or thin straw from a WD 40 can or similar. Drinking straws dump too much in one place.. To thin it obtain a dumpy screw top jar. ( a small one) like a cosmetic cream jar well washed out with thinners /acetone/.ethyl acetate and then the cement thinned with the same stuff. Works like thin Cyano. Then Pva /Aliphatic etc/ Epoxy for ply and hardwoods with the Gorilla glues bringing up the rear. I very rarely use Cyano. I'm not able to go to the field just now but if I could I might use cyano for quick repairs and that's just about it.

Bessos John

Geoff Peacock22/06/2018 20:10:31
192 forum posts
68 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 20/06/2018 23:44:22:

I buy it from our local Poundland and it seems as effective as more expensive varieties. There are 2 sizes of bottles. The smaller ones I reserve for use as emergency repairs at the filed and keep an unstarted container in my toolbox and replace it after it's been opened.

Geoff

yes for Poundland cyano - works very well I find.

Peter Miller22/06/2018 21:06:42
9287 forum posts
1086 photos
10 articles
Posted by Ernie on 22/06/2018 08:48:04:

Yes cyano is indeed incredibly fast.

Of course, you have to add the time spent in A&E getting your fingers detached from whatever got itchy just after you completed the tailplane

ernie

Not if you are sensible and keep a bottle of acetone in the workshop

Andy G.23/06/2018 07:26:44
396 forum posts
215 photos
Posted by David Mellor on 21/06/2018 11:12:33:

Interestingly, a form of cyanoacrylate (N-butyl-2 cyanoacrylate) is used in surgery to stem otherwise uncontrollable bleeding in thoracic areas. Mainly, it is very successful.

If I remember correctly superglue was originally used heavily by combat troops in Vietnam to stem bleeding and to minimise further damage in battlefield injuries

Peter Miller23/06/2018 08:06:16
9287 forum posts
1086 photos
10 articles

Many years ago when I was wring "The Engine Bay" A doctor Mathews wrote to me.

He told me that in a laboratory (I think it was) people started getting headaches.. This was traced to components being stuck down with CA before soldering.

The heat of soldering released Cyanide fumes which where inhaled by the people doing the soldering.

I did put that in the column at the time

Don Fry23/06/2018 10:11:49
2584 forum posts
30 photos

Many moons ago, I cut my head open, and toddled off to casualty. I was treated by a sister no less, who said she was going to close and seal the wound with superglue. She was waving a tube of this blue stuff about, and looking very jolly about the prospect.

I said I was familiar with using it, as an aeromodeller, and she expressed surprise that her stuff had other uses.

She put on a pair of nitrile gloves, and proceeded to move hair out of the way, cut hair, and get ready. Then the operation started. And I became aware;

of gentle pulling on my scalp.

and silence.

She had glued herself to my head. A discussion took place. I established I was her first patient to be treated with this technique. I told her to get someone else to cut the tips of the gloves off, as I was not taking her home with me. She said we can't chuck you out looking like that. I repeated that she was not coming home with me. So i eventually toddled out looking a bit like a rooster with a blue wattle.

Bob Cotsford23/06/2018 10:43:54
7408 forum posts
419 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 23/06/2018 10:11:49:

She had glued herself to my head. A discussion took place. I established I was her first patient to be treated with this technique. I told her to get someone else to cut the tips of the gloves off, as I was not taking her home with me. She said we can't chuck you out looking like that. I repeated that she was not coming home with me. So i eventually toddled out looking a bit like a rooster with a blue wattle.

Now I have a picture of you introducing a superglued Hattie Jaques to your wife in my head laugh

Peter Miller23/06/2018 11:24:24
9287 forum posts
1086 photos
10 articles
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/06/2018 10:43:54:

Now I have a picture of you introducing a superglued Hattie Jaques to your wife in my head laugh

laughlaughlaugh Best laugh all week. Pity you didn't tell her about Acetone (Or nail varnish remover)

David Mellor23/06/2018 11:35:09
859 forum posts
260 photos

I repeated that she was not coming home with me. So i eventually toddled out looking a bit like a rooster with a blue wattle.

If I remember correctly, Dr Michael Mosely confessed to something similar on TV recently. As a junior doctor he was stitching a patients head wound and concentrating very hard on doing a neat job. When he'd finished, feeling very pleased with himself, he took a moment to admire his handiwork. Only to find he'd stitched his latex glove to the chap's head.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us