By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

How do you land a Freewing Venom????

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rocker26/06/2018 16:17:48
336 forum posts

Have a Freewing Venom, fly great really pleased with the Venom until I come to land!!!!!!! It starts of fine lovely approach touch down fine then bounce ,bounce .I can not stop it from bouncing all over the place on landing ,to the point where it is going to self destruct it's self I have already broken the nose of twice .I have tried everything ,fast approach with flaps ,fast approach without flaps ,slow approach .foam wheels rubber wheels ,I have tried everything to stop it bouncing all over the place on landing ,it has got to the point where I am now going try belly it in with the no flaps and the wheels up if I do not it will not last many more landing .Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop it bouncing on landing ??????????

Don Fry26/06/2018 16:39:35
3144 forum posts
38 photos

It bounces cos the angle of attack increases on contact. And the machine has sufficient energy to climb.

Slower put down, no energy to climb..

Or, when you touch down, neutralise the elevator, so it does not get the increased angle of attack.

That's the theory.

Rocker26/06/2018 16:48:05
336 forum posts

OK ,slow it down and neutralise the elevator .I wonder if I am landing it like a tail dragger and keeping to much up elevator on causing it lift of again .I will try that ,slow approach with full flaps and neutral elevator .I let you know what happens when I fly it next .Thanks

Martin Harris26/06/2018 17:07:47
8181 forum posts
206 photos

The approach, although a key part of a good landing, is not the root of the problem - be careful as too slow and you'll be reaching for the black sack...

What you must do unless you have a very smooth runway (even then it is better) is to hold off from touching down until the speed/energy has decayed to the point where the model simply stops flying. If you touch down while there is any excess energy and hit a bump, you'll be off the ground without enough reserve energy to correct the situation. When it bounces, don't simply shove the stick forwards - add a little power if possible and relax any back pressure on the stick to avoid the nose rising. Obviously don't hold the nose up - let it regain a neutral attitude and the model should start to sink the couple of feet or so to a nice touchdown. If it bounces any higher, best thing is to go around and start again unless you've got a lot of room in front of you - don't try to force it back onto the ground or the whole thing will start again...

Tom Sharp 226/06/2018 17:47:00
3303 forum posts
17 photos

Your angle of attack of the wing is too high. You need to adjust the pushrods to lower the ailerons flaps etc, to give more lift to the trailing edge of the wing. Then trim out the elevator with more down to lower the leading edge of the wing. This will stop the bounce because pressure on the upper surface will be greater than on the under surface.

Martin Harris26/06/2018 17:58:14
8181 forum posts
206 photos

Not sure I follow that Tom. Dropping flaps and lowering ailerons increases the angle of the mean chord line and increases the effective angle of attack of the wing. This would appear to be the opposite of what your theory requires...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us