Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

fav model of all time

can be anything, artf, kit, o/d etc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rocker29/06/2018 11:05:17
351 forum posts

For me it has to be the Flair D7 ,I used to build my models then until I became lazy with the ARTF.Yes I know I should go back to building but the ARTF are so convenient and the quality is a lot better these day

Edited By Rocker on 29/06/2018 11:05:59

Peter Miller29/06/2018 11:19:23
11077 forum posts
1308 photos
10 articles

Got to be two separate.

Control line, My Cavalier competition special biplane. One of a long series of biplanes that could fly the full competition schedule.

For R/C my Rhapsody. Looked like a vintage model flew fun aerobatics better than any other model The first in my Angels series

rhapsody.jpg

Brian Hammond29/06/2018 11:50:36
349 forum posts

I think it has got to be the Panic with an Irvine 61 and tuned pipe,I,m afraid that would be frowned on these days!

AVC29/06/2018 11:57:07
539 forum posts
147 photos

Mine was the CM Pro Giles 202 90-120. I loved that much that I bought it twice. The first one lost half elevator in flight (my fault, I didn't secure the cyano hinges...), and off it went right to the ground. I bought another one straightaway, and this time I secured everything properly.

I flew it with an OS MAX 90, with a Saito 115, with an OS 120FS and with a DLE 20. I think that because of the proportions (65" x 66", or 1.65m x 1.67m) she flew fantastic, like on tracks. Shame that I can't find it anymore...

Martin Harris29/06/2018 14:05:58
9332 forum posts
249 photos

Very difficult - like asking to choose a favourite child but for pure flying pleasure and visual aesthetics on that balmy desert island, I think I'd nominate my venerable Sterling Models Stearman which is estimated to date from around 1982 and was passed on to me by a downsizing and relocating clubmate as I'd always enjoyed flying it for him. It has a real patina that deliberate weathering just can't reproduce and has been flying on an RCV 91 for the last decade or so.

img-20180624-wa0009.jpgPictured flying last Saturday

Bob Cotsford29/06/2018 14:27:13
8570 forum posts
477 photos

That's a hard question as it's a bit of a moving target. Before owning large 4 strokes I liked my Skyways Chippahawk with Enya 60 BB-III. Then when I hadn't flown a large petrol model I would have said the YT/ModelTech Dragon Lady with a 120 fs glow. When I tried a petrol model then I would have said a Glen's Models Maule M7 Skyrocket. But that was before I tried the Acrowot and WotsWot XL versions with 38cc fs petrol power. The WW XL in particular just seemed to suit any mood, any weather.

Now I've been pushed into smaller electric powered models I'd have to say a standard size ARTF WotsWot on 6s pulling 1100W. Remove from car, fit battery, fly. Land, fit new battery and repeat to suit. Put back in car - done.

Colin Leighfield29/06/2018 15:15:12
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

image.jpgteam special 79 in 1982 (2).jpgI think it would be my Pat French Models (PFM/Economy Scale) Team Special 79. After loads of use that nearly wore out the HB61 and many years laid up, it had a new lease of life with an Irvine Q72, which was also almost worn out by the time I flew it through a fence and finally wrote it off. Brilliant flyer, much better than the more well-team special 79 in 1982.jpg known Bi-Stormer I had originally intended to build.

trebor29/06/2018 16:56:17
1930 forum posts
216 photos

That looks really nice. yes Might have to make a note to remind me.

Colin Leighfield29/06/2018 17:07:16
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

image.jpgAfter searching for years I found another Team Special on EBay, built many years ago but never flown. It was one of the first from 1978, the only difference on theimage.jpg 79 was rod aileron operation instead of the earlier cable. No problem, I will fit two wing servos anyway. I’m thinking about fitting a 61 petrol, the original was fully aerobatic on the (Veco design) HB61 and I guess a modern petrol motor should match that on power, about 1bhp? I’d like to re-finish it in the Hawker Fury style I used for my original.

Geoff S29/06/2018 17:42:18
3659 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/06/2018 14:05:58:

Very difficult - like asking to choose a favourite child but for pure flying pleasure and visual aesthetics on that balmy desert island, I think I'd nominate my venerable Sterling Models Stearman which is estimated to date from around 1982 and was passed on to me by a downsizing and relocating clubmate as I'd always enjoyed flying it for him. It has a real patina that deliberate weathering just can't reproduce and has been flying on an RCV 91 for the last decade or so.

img-20180624-wa0009.jpgPictured flying last Saturday

Looks a treat! I have a Great Planes ARTF Super Stearman with a 30cc Mackay petrol engine which is something of a hangar queen, I'm afraid. It's just a bit of a faff (actually a lot of a faff!) assembling and disassembling at the field but it does fly well as I'm sure yours does.

Geoff

alex nicol29/06/2018 18:14:50
383 forum posts
17 photos

We really are a diverse bunch. for all the choices, I don't think there is one duplicate.

The pics are great, if I can sus how to upload I'll put a few up.........albeit, somewhat dated!!

John Laird29/06/2018 20:28:12
440 forum posts
51 photos

For me, it has got to be Vic Smead's Mamselle - a 38" freeflighter from 1965. In addition to building ( and still flying it) in 1972, I have built 3 off 72" and one 108" versions - the latter suffering a fatal landing-spiralling in about 3 weeks ago - jury still out on cause. The solartex covering came in handy keeping the bits in one ready made bag

Can be seen here flying in 1990

**LINK**

Edited By John Laird on 29/06/2018 20:31:59

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator29/06/2018 20:47:42
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

What's the favourite plane you've ever had?

If you could only have one model what would it be?

These are two very different questions! I'll have a go at the second. If you could only have one model then it would have to have the following properties I think:

1. Aerobatic for when I'm in a hooligan mood!

2. Steady flyer for when I'm in a "let's just potter round the sky" mood.

3. Able to ship a range of batteries and sensors etc. so spare capacity both in terms of lift and size.

4. Ultra straight-forward - just put it together and fly - it never dissapoints you at the field.

5. Easy to maintain and repair.

Well, for me, that shouts "WOT4" - the ultimate reliable jack of all trades and master of quite a few too! I'm on number 3 in my flying career. I couldn't see me being without a WOTTY in the hangar.

BEB

alex nicol29/06/2018 20:49:41
383 forum posts
17 photos

Fantastic video, couldn't take my eyes off it. brought a lot of memories back from 'going flying' with dad. At the time it was single channel and the flight pack was powered by a rubber driven esc. thing in trying to remember is the button control. was it single press for right rudder with a quick double blip for left or was it the other way round......

will -029/06/2018 21:32:40
587 forum posts
19 photos

Personally I find they're generally a bit skinny for my taste

trebor29/06/2018 22:36:17
1930 forum posts
216 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/06/2018 20:47:42:

Well, for me, that shouts "WOT4" - the ultimate reliable jack of all trades and master of quite a few too! I'm on number 3 in my flying career. I couldn't see me being without a WOTTY in the hangar.

BEB

What versions have you had ? I quite fancy version 3 build kit but cannot make my mind up. indecision

Pete Collins29/06/2018 23:18:54
132 forum posts
6 photos

Tricky - there are so many! Going back to single channel days there was Go Jet, Lots of fun; Goldberg Jr Falcon with ailerons from rubber escapement - smoothest s/c aircraft ever and Little Mo also escapement ailerons ( own design, very hairy - think Sharkface on steroids. Then propo models there was Ghost rider 50; The small Pilot Pitts special and even better the Pilot Zlin; more recently Playboy Sr (still flying that one) House of balsa Fokker Eindekker (First ic then converted to electric;

But out of them all, perhaps surprisingly, it would have to be the smaller (36" span) DB Sopwith Pup (in my case modified into a Sopwith Dove. It was my regular hack for about 2 years and I loved every flight!

Former Member30/06/2018 07:04:11

[This posting has been removed]

Trevor30/06/2018 07:42:17
441 forum posts
57 photos

A Chris Foss Middle Phase II taught me to fly on the slopes back in the 80s so that is without doubt the model I look back on with the most affection. However the one which is always a delight to fly is the Multiplex Alpina Magic which, at 28 years old, is still going strong:

Alpina Magic

Geoff Parkes30/06/2018 08:51:49
108 forum posts

what a question to answer, like many who have tried to answer this ,those who like me who have decades of building , flying and repairing, there are two many to pick from, from my c/l days only one stands a chance on being my favourite its a Peacemaker with Oliver Tiger engine, we used to fly these things in a local park, without silencers, the only complaint coming from the footballers who could not hear the refs. whistle ! how things have changed, my favourite r/c could be a Tony Nijhous Vulcan,O.K. you have to bungy launch it ( at least I do ) but when its flying its totally convincing, flys in any weather,not to bad to build and seems tough as the proverbial. If I can add my least favourite plane , it was a Y.T, Focke Wulf 190 all composite, 30 cc petrol engine and it was a pig to fly, just had a mind of its own, I was glad when the engine cut on take off and wrecked it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!