By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Colinís Spanish Fury

The only one that actually did anything apart from looking pretty(!)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Leighfield22/09/2020 11:32:09
6007 forum posts
2505 photos

Thanks chaps, it will be finished. As it’s going to have a painted finish and no shiny silver bits, I’ve decided to take the simple route and cover it in Solartex, which I have enough of. I’ll save my collection of tissue, silk and nylon for other projects.

Graham Donaldson23/09/2020 17:13:48
33 forum posts
11 photos

Good to see you back with the Fury. Keep going. It is so easy to get diverted. It happens to me all the time!

At last my Fury took to the skies at the weekend. We have had some great days, calm and warm conditions. There are a couple of pictures following. I made a big mistake in using Mick Reeves rigging. The turn buckles were a nightmare to fit in the field (or back of the car!). I will be changing them to wire and steel clevises as per Bryant's plan. Otherwise I was very happy.

Hawker Fury

Last of the wires fitted.

Hawker Fury

Lift Off

Hawker Fury

Graham

Danny Fenton23/09/2020 17:19:21
9753 forum posts
4556 photos

Congratulations Graham, and doesn't she look grand!!!

Great pictures too.

Cheers

Danny

Martin Fane23/09/2020 18:03:57
346 forum posts
370 photos

Hi Graham

Brilliant job, looks a fantastic model, well done yes

Really nice looking flying field too smiley

Cheers

Martin

Eric Robson23/09/2020 19:58:23
366 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Graham, nice to see another fury in the air. If you ar going to change the rigging it may be worth looking at my thread, I used steel clevises both ends and had one end adjustable with the other rotating in the clevis by soldering a piece of brass tubing onto the end of the wire. I used 220degree soft solder and after about 30 flights have only had one fail during a heavy landing . It is difficult to set up the wings using the method on the plans I did this on my first D. Bryant model the Bristol Bulldog and found the rigging needed regular adjustment ,not easy when trying to pull the clevis under tension and locate it back in the hole. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Colin.

Cheers Eric.

Colin Leighfield24/09/2020 07:40:40
6007 forum posts
2505 photos

This is all inspirational and helpful stuff, great to see one in the air and the camouflaged finish looks brilliant. Although there were only three Spanish Furies, it looks as if they weren’t all finished the same, so there’s some choice there. I’ve also noted the experiences with the rigging. The way I’ve done the wings with the panels sliding on c/f tubes makes the centre section very rigid. I intend to see if I can keep the wing bays pre-assembled to minimise the work load at the field and also minimise the need for re-adjustment.

Graham Donaldson25/09/2020 14:31:21
33 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks gentlemen for your favourable comments. I like your idea Eric for the rigging. Before the Fury goes away for the winter, I will replace the Reeves rigging with 18swg wire and steel clevices with one end allowed to swivel. The it will be on with the Taylor Hurricane and Mosquito (over 4 years since building started) unless I get diverted again

Graham

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!