Forum sponsored by CML

Might get JEN 57 (Should I?)

Advice needed please.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Wood.18/09/2008 21:46:00
3638 forum posts
27 photos

Getting back into flying after 30 odd year break but all those many moons ago I flew just about anything.

I want to trad build a large trainer and I don't have any problems there, but I'm out of date on engines.

I've done a fair amount of searching and came across the Jen 57. This was reviewed by Malc Pinnock in the Sept. 2004 issue of RCM&E. At the time it was the Jen 56.

It looks great and the price is OK but best of all the review blew sunshine out of its backside. It's supposed to give 60 power with 40 size and weight.

Have things changed since 2004 and has anyone got any experience of these engines that I should know about?

I'll take suggestions on alternatives but try to keep the cost down to less than £70 or I'll have to start hiding money away from my beloved watcher.

I'm intending to do a 72" ish span Cessna type high wing (love their looks)

I can build light or heavy it's no problem either way, but I want to start designing and building now, so it would help if I could decide on a power plant first.

At first I was going to do everything on the cheap so I had a look on Ebay at used engines and I'm shocked at what some people will pay for what could be a piece of junk. I watched an OS 46 LA go yesterday for just over £40 with postage and you can buy them new for a few quid more.

I may just take pics of my build progress and post them here.   When you finish laughing you can get back to some serious modelling.

All advice appreciated thanks.

Phil.

GrumpyGnome19/09/2008 07:27:00
495 forum posts
145 photos

They seem to get very mixed reviews on the forums.

I bought a Jen 56 off ebay (it was VERY cheap) but couldn't get it to run well.  Just Engines sorted it out with new O rings etc. in less than a week for an extremely reasonable price.  After some fiddling with the various bits n bobs, it now runs very well.  Starts easily, quiet, lots of power, picks up instantly from even prolonged periods of idling.  I have mine in a SIG Ultimate Fun Fly and it has pretty much unlimited vertical performance.

But, as I say, that's just a sample of one.

GG 

Grant Darnley19/09/2008 09:27:00
134 forum posts
28 photos
The 3d guys don't like them but the sports fliers seem to find them ok, I've seen two used in fast flying sports models and both were fine, but I've never parted with my own cash for one
flytilbroke19/09/2008 18:57:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos

Buy a Lada car you get a Lada car. I won`t touch a J`en again. Some time ago I got two original .56  not good, Just Engines fitted thicker "o" rings on main needle as fuel / air leaked past the barrel, they were still not good, then offered to SELL me newer style carbs . I did not buy `em. They still will not run well.

I do know some guys using the newer .57 and they think they are ok`ish.

flytilbroke19/09/2008 18:59:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos

Buy a Lada car you get a Lada car. I won`t touch a J`en again. Some time ago I got two original .56  not good, Just Engines fitted thicker "o" rings on main needle as fuel / air leaked past the needle in the barrel, they were still not good, then offered to SELL me newer style carbs . I did not buy `em. They still will not run well.

I do know some guys using the newer .57 and they think they are ok`ish.

Captain Slow26/09/2008 15:20:00
65 forum posts

I bought a JEN 57. Getting it to run well wasn't easy but it ran well for a bit. I then started having probs and try as i might, couldn't get it to run reliably.

There's only ~£10-15 between that and the 55AX. My 55 AX has been a good engine to date. Either that or try one of the alternative 2 strokes they sell

I followed the instructions to the letter and got some very good help from the JEN team. Their customer support was very good so I would order from them again, I just wouldn't buy another JEN 57.

hth //cs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us