Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Bullet tape argh!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
r6dan07/07/2018 08:37:23
1110 forum posts
46 photos

Am i on my own or does anyone else hate tape with a passion? i can never get it flat without bubbles and wrinkles, it sticks to its self then to me then to scissors, then my knife, then to the bench then everything else !

just finished a zaggi type thing and it looks gash, should still fly though

ive orded a Wildthing too but after the re-enforcing tape its getting solartex not that horrible tape hahahahahaha

Ian Jones15/07/2018 19:25:47
3219 forum posts
1397 photos

Hi r6dan,

First time I used the stuff was indeed on an Si Zaggi, to my surprise with good success. So without claiming to be any expert I'll tell you how I use the stuff (same method with the coloured tape too).

First of all clean the scissors thouroughly with meths and repeat this after every cut; a pain but clean scissors will make a huge difference.

Ensure there is no dust, hairs or any other such like debris on the model. Unroll suffient tape to overlap the length really needed, then lay it very lightly, zero pressure in place on the model. Carefully cut it free from the roll.

Now the tricky bit! starting from approximatley half way along the strip, smooth it down a few inches at a time, working outwards from any imaginary centre line. If the tape has been laid down without any pressure it will lift in front of the smoothing action like a barely visible mini wave. Take time and work along the tape towards one end then return to the middle and do the same towards the other end. Now the tape is place I then go over it again with a little more pressure to ensure it is properly adhered to the surface. I have found fingers the best equipment to use for the smoothing.

If for any reason I have to lift the tape after I've started to smooth it down then I throw the strip away - the process of removing the tape will have distorted it and it just will not go down nicely a 2nd time.

Well, that works for me, best of luck with your next one.

Edit: Oh, the the model concerned is in my avatar.

Edited By Ian Jones on 15/07/2018 19:27:04

G194015/07/2018 20:41:23
3523 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by r6dan on 07/07/2018 08:37:23:

just finished a zaggi type thing and it looks gash, should still fly though

gash? Haha that's the first time I've seen or heard the expression since I worked at GEC back in the early 60s when anything not quite right was always 'gash'. Thanks for that.

btw if you want to replace tape with Solartex then you'd better hurry and get some in stock - they're not making it any more.

Geoff

Former Member15/07/2018 22:47:58
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Ian Jones16/07/2018 01:33:03
3219 forum posts
1397 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 15/07/2018 22:47:58:

I bought a flying wing thing once, instructions said cover it in bullet tape. It's still in the corner waiting.

What is bullet tape.

It's that cross weave fibre glass reinforced stuff Tom. Often also referred to as CW tape (Cross Weave) as well as bullet tape..

cymaz16/07/2018 06:25:25
9007 forum posts
1187 photos

BULLET TAPE. yes

Former Member16/07/2018 08:05:55
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us