Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Multiplex Funray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance07/07/2018 15:03:28
7385 forum posts
143 photos

I'm seriously pondering the purchase of one of these. The videos on YouTube look good along with the Funray's performance. It's probably best described as a Warmliner/ Slope Soarer/ Aerobatic motor glider. It looks pretty versatile. I don't have a suitable motor, esc or servos, so I'd probably opt for the RR - receiver ready - version.

I know it's a relatively new model, but maybe someone's had one and feels able to comment?

r6dan07/07/2018 17:16:46
1107 forum posts
46 photos

Just had a look at those and they look really good, just the type of thing for warm summer days!

due to my just getting back in the hobby im lacking in everything so could tick a few boxes

Steve Colman07/07/2018 17:23:52
701 forum posts
410 photos

I have the kit version waiting to be put together. It's typical Mpx quality although I do feel that they've made it over complicated in some areas. Still, according to the flight reports and videos I've seen I'm really looking forward to getting the model airborne sometime over the summer, other projects not withstanding.

r6dan07/07/2018 17:41:10
1107 forum posts
46 photos

there doesnt seem to be many RR kits about

Percy Verance07/07/2018 20:17:49
7385 forum posts
143 photos

It looks a good one Steve, and as usual with Mpx designs it's been thoroughly developed - metal wing spars and stainless steel rod reinforcement for the control surfaces - so it's fully able to take a bit of G. Quite nippy with the tap fully open too. I read somewhere it's been clocked at 180kmh or thereabouts......

Dan

For those warm summer days a Solius, Heron or EasyGlider 4 might fit the bill better. FRom what I gather the Funray isn't really designed to be a summer floater.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/07/2018 20:23:40

Capt Kremen07/07/2018 20:50:06
240 forum posts
63 photos

I've had my 'FunRay' since the beginning of the year.

It is a superb 'all-rounder'. As the numerous videos testify, it is no slouch and can motor, (when you want it!), is sports aerobatic and with camber flaps, no disgrace in staying aloft with those thermals we're enjoying here in the UK.

Mine is from the kit version, so I was able to equip and assemble with gear I had though did use the available MPX cable kit to save, (for me), fiddly soldering of those MPX 'Green' wing servo aileron and flap servo connectors.

The model is a delight to rig at the field, just plug the wings in and those 'Green' connectors take care of all connections to the total of 4 wing servos i.e. 2 a-side.

The ESC tucks away neatly to one side of the fuselage but Rx location is a fiddle 'stuffing' it down the fuselage inside 'tunnel'.

I use a 3300mAh LiPo flight pack and easily get flights up to 30 mins without really trying.

A very useful and helpful flight addition is the compact single telemetry unit from 'SM Modellbau' called the 'UniSens-E'.

Note: I use this in conjunction with a MPX 'Cockpit' radio equipped with a telemetry capable Rx.

(The SM UniSens-E can be programmed to operate with other makes of radio e.g. Futaba, Hi-Tec, Graupner, JETI and Spectrum, the latter with an additional adaptor).

This single unit is capable of supplying Rx Voltage/ Rx Signal Link Quality / Flight Pack Voltage & Current Amp/ Vario and particularly pertinent at the moment, a height warning! (e.g. set 122M/400ft and 'Auntie Angela' announces that height whilst the Tx itself vibrates & buzzes a warning!)

Programmable 'Crow-Braking' I found very effective in shortening the landing run-out and of course losing height!

Niggles - Not many. The canopy to my mind is retained the 'wrong-way' with its Elapor foam 'peg' at the rear, allowing in flight slipstream to potentially get under the front edge and lift off.

The elevator Elapor hinges, on the detachable tailplane halves, 'cracked' on mine after a little use so 'UHU-Por' flexi-glue hinges was required on these.

A superb model none the less.

Percy Verance07/07/2018 20:57:32
7385 forum posts
143 photos

Sounds good Capt.

I had read about the *wrong way* canopy retention, but I'll gladly put up with that for what seems an excellent all round model. I have the MPx vario and flight recorder, and was planning to pop those on board. I'd be using my Cockpit SX, so I'd set a vibe warning at 400ft too.

I must arm myself with a couple of 3300 3 cell lipo packs in readiness.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/07/2018 21:07:29

John Roberts 908/07/2018 09:54:08
174 forum posts
167 photos

I am now on my second Funray (I managed to destroy the first one due to my own ineptitude but don't tell anyone wink!) and can thoroughly recommend the model. I had no hesitation whatsoever in buying a replacement.

The RR version is now over 400 quid which I feel is rather pricey so I opted for the 'kit' version and sourced my own motor & electrics etc. (YEP 60A ESC, SK3 GliderDrive 3858 4.6 840Kv and some 12.5g/ 2.5Kg servos). Choosing this route saved around £150 compared to the RR version. Using a 4S 3000mah LIPO and a 12 x 6.5 folding prop gives about 750W and, as Capt Kremen says, allows 30 minutes+ flight time. Soldering your own green MPX connectors is definitely a fiddle...…….I would be inclined to buy the premade harness (circa 25 quid) if I was building another one.

The quality of the kit really is excellent. Everything fits together and, unlike so many other models, I didn't need to fettle anything. The surface finish of the foam is superb. The model has a broad performance envelope and, at one end of the spectrum, will stooge around at quite low speed and at the other end it is both acrobatic and fast (warmliner rather than hotliner but still plenty quick enough for most). It even makes a lovely whooooshing noise as it zips past on those low passes!!

My canopy has never shown any inclination to come loose but Capt Kremen makes a very valid point about the potential for this to happen. The only non-standard mod I have made is to add some bright pink vinyl panels to the underside of the wings to assist with orientation. This colour, although rather garish, does really contrast sharply with the standard black and green.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info smiley.

Percy Verance09/07/2018 18:02:19
7385 forum posts
143 photos

John

I just bagged a RR Funray for £359. I know it's More expensive than the *get your own powertrain* route, but just where I am there are no shops handy. Plus I like to see things such as motors, esc's and the like before I part with my hard earned! Based on my previous experience of Mpx RR models, I know all the components are of sound quality. Not that yours aren't of course, but my relatively limited experience of things electric makes the RR route hard to resist.

John Roberts 909/07/2018 18:43:15
174 forum posts
167 photos

Congratulations on an excellent purchase smiley.

The RR version will save you all the hassle of assembling the kit and choosing components. I went the same route with another MPX product (Fun Cub XL) and it works perfectly.

Do let us know how you get on with the Funray. With the RR version there ought to be nothing to stop you maidening it tomorrow laugh. Have fun!

Percy Verance09/07/2018 19:18:12
7385 forum posts
143 photos

Thanks John.

I'd love the maiden to be tomorrow, but the site I bought it from says there is a 3 day lead time on dispatch for Multiplex stuff.......sad  Plus I'll need to arm myself with a handful of 3S 3300 lipos.

I also have a Funcub XL RR, plus a Heron RR. The rest, Twinstar, 2x Funcubs and Easystar have been from kits with the appropriate power set being purchased. All have been great performers, as I'm sure you're aware.

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/07/2018 19:21:22

John Roberts 909/07/2018 20:41:05
174 forum posts
167 photos

I am pretty sure that MPX say that the standard motor & ESC will run on 4S with a small reduction in prop size.

I mention this because on 3S I suspect that you might have to add some nose weight (my pet hate) in order to get the CoG correct. Not sure how my GliderDrive motor compares in terms of weight to the standard one but I would definitely need extra nose weight if I wasn't using heavier 4S Lipo's.

Maybe worth checking this out before splashing out on those new batteries?

Percy Verance09/07/2018 21:15:47
7385 forum posts
143 photos

As it happens John I'd forgotten I had a couple of 3 cell 3300mah packs already for the Twinstar. I'll see how it is is once I have the Funray in my hands balance-wise, then acquire lipos accordingly. 4 cell if necessary. And of course there would need to be a reduction in prop size of an Inch or so.

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/07/2018 21:18:25

Percy Verance19/07/2018 17:37:03
7385 forum posts
143 photos

Right, I've now received my Funray. A bit of a delay due to an error in the stock figures, but it's arrived at last.

First impressions are excellent, with the RR Funray being among the new generation of Mpx foamies which are actually assembled in Germany. A top quality Roxxy motor and esc complete the internals, with all the internal wiring already in place. A total of 6 HiTec 65HB (Karbonite) geared servos are already mounted in place, with heavy duty extension leads where necessary. Much internal strengthening is obvious, with what looks like a 10 to 12mm square carbon spar running almost the full length of the bottom of the fuselage. Likewise, steel wingspars run to within a few inches of the wingtips, with carbon reinforcing running down the centre of those spars. The tailplane has what appears to be a carbon spar runing almost full span. All the control surfaces are reinforced with stainless steel tubing for strength.

Without a doubt the Funray shouts quality (as you'd expect for £350+), and I'm looking forward to getting it in the air. One thing I didn't quite expect to see was a reference in the manual to thermal soaring. Even more of an all rounder than I thought......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2018 17:43:41

Ikura15/09/2018 16:50:00
270 forum posts

Did you fly your Funray yet Percy? I flew one a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised at how well it floats around and picks up thermals with just a couple of degrees of camber on flaps and ailerons.

The only thing I am struggling with is the cost of it for a foam glider. Add in a few 3S 3300 LiPo's and it is heading for £500.00 which is a substantial amount of cash.

My Heron is a firm favourite and has the advantage of taking 3S 2200 LiPo's and I have plenty of those.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear what you think of it when you have the time.

Percy Verance16/09/2018 09:05:26
7385 forum posts
143 photos

No, sadly unflown as yet. Been suffering a few minor health issues, but they're under control. Just lately the weather hasn't been playing ball up here in the Lakes (wind and rain), and I have to admit that what time I've had along with good enough weather, has been spent teaching someone to fly.

Ah yes, the cost. The latest high tech foamies from Mpx do sport top end price tags, but they are undoubtedly well sorted high quality products. I bought the Funray after being prompted by my Heron purchase. I liked the look of it a lot, and it does seem to be a slight progression from the avarage big floater with it's warmliner looks/performance. In the end I found it hard to resist. I have purchased a couple of Turnigy Graphene 3300 60c packs for it, and hopefully these will do the trick. It seems selectiing higher C rated packs is the way to go if you want decent performance.

So in conclusion I'd have to agree that they're expensive, but I think you're also paying for the ( probably quite considerable) development cost along with the quality motors and esc's they're suppied with. A slightly less costly route could be to buy the kit and fit your own choice of powertrain, but again unless good quality components are used, you may not realise the Funray's full potential. Horses for courses I guess.......

In the meantime I'm waiting for a crisp Autumnal morning.......

Percy Verance16/09/2018 09:05:28
7385 forum posts
143 photos

No, sadly unflown as yet. Been suffering a few minor health issues, but they're under control. Just lately the weather hasn't been playing ball up here in the Lakes (wind and rain), and I have to admit that what time I've had along with good enough weather, has been spent teaching someone to fly.

Ah yes, the cost. The latest high tech foamies from Mpx do sport top end price tags, but they are undoubtedly well sorted high quality products. I bought the Funray after being prompted by my Heron purchase. I liked the look of it a lot, and it does seem to be a slight progression from the avarage big floater with it's warmliner looks/performance. In the end I found it hard to resist. I have purchased a couple of Turnigy Graphene 3300 60c packs for it, and hopefully these will do the trick. It seems selectiing higher C rated packs is the way to go if you want decent performance.

So in conclusion I'd have to agree that they're expensive, but I think you're also paying for the ( probably quite considerable) development cost along with the quality motors and esc's they're suppied with. A slightly less costly route could be to buy the kit and fit your own choice of powertrain, but again unless good quality components are used, you may not realise the Funray's full potential. Horses for courses I guess.......

In the meantime I'm waiting for a crisp Autumnal morning.......

Ikura16/09/2018 09:14:35
270 forum posts

Many thanks Percy. Sorry to hear you have been unwell. Hopefully you will get back to full health very soon. The weather here has also been very blustery and restricted flying quite a lot but we have managed to battle with the wind without any majoy upsets.

As you say, at least for the money it does come complete with high quality components and it really does seem to be a very well sorted glider. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and order one. Thanks for your time in this.

Rene Wallage11/11/2018 12:22:58
122 forum posts
43 photos

I have seen the Funray advertised as 2 meter, and 1.7 meter. Which is it? What's the AUW?

John Roberts 911/11/2018 12:38:28
174 forum posts
167 photos

Hi Rene,

It is definitely 2M and mine, with a 4s/3000 Lipo installed, weighs in at 1962 grams. It is relatively expensive for a foamie but that is reflected in the superb quality. Flies beautifully too, one of my favourite models!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us