By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Something that will bounce

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Longley07/07/2018 15:45:01
73 forum posts

if I am not always worrying about major repairs I would be a lot more confident with the sticks. Trouble is that being nervous I tend to make more mistakes. I am experimenting with some 3d manouvers but keep loosing planes. What I need is something that I can keep fairly close, does not cost too much. Can do a wide range of manouvers & if it all goes wrong It is fairly easy to mend on the field.Will not break the bank. My Hanger 9 S Bach cost me £840-00 complete in the air & when it turned to matchwood I felt like committing hari karicryingcrying I have a Phizaz but am frightened of loosing it & it flies brilliantly

So can someone give me a few suggestions of good performing  really cheepo ones. I assume they will be bendy foamies. I am not into self build. I have too many planes to re build as it is.

Edited By Sam Longley on 07/07/2018 15:46:55

Edited By Sam Longley on 07/07/2018 15:47:36

Percy Verance07/07/2018 16:05:23
8108 forum posts
155 photos

With respect Sam, if you're nervous perhaps you ought to refrain from 3D stuff until you can fly more confidently?

What is the level of your flying experience Sam? Do you hold a BMFA "A", "B" or "C" cert?

Have you tried perfecting the 3D moves on a simulator, where crashes result in zero material damage?

Just a couple of things you said in your post have me slightly worried.........

You need to posess several attributes to completely nail 3D. Skill, ability, lightning fast reactions and a certain *flair*.

Some people could never become 3D pilots because they just don't have "it". I'd happily place myself in that category. My flying style is a million miles from 3D, but there again I've built models which have lasted me 20+ years despite being flown regularly at National events. The Moth biplane in my header pic is one such example.

Personally Sam, I'd give up on the losses and fly something I was much more at ease with. It's nigh on impossible to enjoy model flying if you're constantly worrying about losing the model.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/07/2018 16:12:55

Steve Colman07/07/2018 17:31:00
730 forum posts
419 photos

Hummer from Hobbyking. Just under 30 euros and an absolute blast to fly.

Peter Miller07/07/2018 18:14:02
10323 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles

We fly models for please (Unless you are a masochist.) You obviously don't enjoy flying that sort of model because you are terrified of crashing another one so why on earth keep doing it!dont know

Build a fun fly model from a plan, Cost about £40 for materials and will do everything that a 3D model can do within a tennis court.

For example, Swizzle Stick from Sarik Hobbies.

If nothing else it will train your reflexes up to a very high standard a very lowcost

simon barr07/07/2018 18:17:19
1035 forum posts
16 photos

Or a decent size "shocky" type indoor model... They can be flown outside if not too windy.

Sam Longley07/07/2018 18:30:39
73 forum posts

I hold an "A" cert. I do have Phoenix but do not actually find it much use. If one watches some of the demonstration flying on youtube I cannot seem to find the models or keep them anywhere near me long enough to perform the tricks. Most of the time the plane is a speck on the screen so I do not find it much use.

As for 3 D - No i cannot do much but if I cannot try then I will never learn. Flying figure 8s does get a bit boring. I would certainly get fed up just flying a biplane round in circles.

I bought the S Bach to start doing the Imac sequences which I really enjoyed practicing, but during a rolling circle, ( I am good at those!!) whilst showing off, the battery came loose,( I had just temporarily moved it to change the c of G) exited via the hatch & that was that. Practicing Imac is great for practicing stick control, but one needs a good plane for it.

So I just want something to fun fly without the risk of great expense now & then to get rid of those occasional " urges"

ken anderson.07/07/2018 18:38:11
8477 forum posts
773 photos

hello sam,i would leave the expensive stuff alone...……..if you want to do 3D buy a cheap model and don't worry about kapowing it...…….you say "fun fly"...….buy a sports model..acro wot/wot 4...and do what you want knowing its a cheap/ish repair for when Isaac newton takes over...

ken anderson..... ne...1 .gravity dept.

ASH.07/07/2018 19:15:22
310 forum posts

Sam, the model to go for is ; H-King MX2 3D EPP 955mm ARF.

£45 and you can do all the 3D you want.

Sam Longley07/07/2018 19:47:04
73 forum posts
Posted by Steve Colman on 07/07/2018 17:31:00:

Watched the video but cannot find the plane on the site for sale

Don Fry07/07/2018 19:57:31
4130 forum posts
48 photos

First off mate, get the basics right, and secure the battery, and possibly the other weak points. And there lies a tale.

And another 20 meters above the ground.

Why, if it's not for steering about, as in the biplane you decry, do you launch something you can't afford to break. 

Gravity it a hard God.

Edited By Don Fry on 07/07/2018 20:01:25

Sam Longley07/07/2018 20:21:15
73 forum posts
Posted by Don Fry on 07/07/2018 19:57:31:

First off mate, get the basics right, and secure the battery, and possibly the other weak points. And there lies a tale..

Why, if it's not for steering about, as in the biplane you decry, do you launch something you can't afford to break.

Edited By Don Fry on 07/07/2018 20:01:25

TheS Bach was purchased because i was getting quite confident & wanted to get smoother so wanted something to do Imac manouvers as I felt that making myself fly a disciplined pattern I would get better rather than just fly about aimlessly. The loss was because i was demonstrating how to do rolling circles to some members instead of sticking to the sequences which I had bought that plane for. I was just unfortunate that to change the C of G temporarily I did not fix the battery in securely enough (in a hurry) & the 20 or so rolls on the trot threw the b..dy thing out the canopy.

I was not intending to do 3 d with it. I did have other planes for that but now they are all dead ( nearly killed the Jive this week & spent 45 mins looking for it in a wheat field) & i just want something a little less expensive for learning the awkward stuff with. It takes a long time to re build an Acrowot- i know from experience

Edited By Sam Longley on 07/07/2018 20:24:56

Percy Verance07/07/2018 20:28:07
8108 forum posts
155 photos

My work here is done...........

Gary Manuel07/07/2018 22:05:45
1984 forum posts
1514 photos

Absolutely 100% recommended.

Cheap, Easy to build, Crashes with little damage. Easy to repair. Can do every 3D move in the book.

Even if you decide to buy another plane, get one of these as well. You will not regret it.

Gary Manuel07/07/2018 22:09:10
1984 forum posts
1514 photos
Posted by Sam Longley on 07/07/2018 19:47:04:

HERE it is

Tom Sharp 208/07/2018 00:32:13
3574 forum posts
19 photos

If you want something that will bounce, try a football, they seem all the rage at the moment. wink

Sam Longley08/07/2018 07:35:23
73 forum posts
Posted by Gary Manuel on 07/07/2018 22:09:10:
Posted by Sam Longley on 07/07/2018 19:47:04:

HERE it is

Thanks that is exactly what i was looking for. I will be checking my parts box & ordering later today

J D 808/07/2018 07:37:53
1317 forum posts
78 photos

Looks just like an RC factory Flash.

Sam Longley08/07/2018 07:53:23
73 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 07/07/2018 20:28:07:

My work here is done...........

With all due respect Percy

Typical forumitesmiley

Does not know the answer so tells me that my question is wrongno

Why? because he has been doing it for 25 years tyes

I should be doing a different type of flyingwink

Why? because that is what he doeswink

So when one does not accept the "non advice" one gets the "oh well I tried but I give up--" bitcrying

I am sorry Percy but your second post prompted me to say thatblushblush

All i wanted was some suggestions for a cheepo plane to try some 3d stuff on that is easy to repair & will not break the bank

One forumite told me to get a football - would be funny really but I hate footballface 5

2 forumites came up with the same suggestion of a hummer so that bodes good for me yes

If that does not work I will re read Percy's post & send him my apologies-- But not yet

simon barr08/07/2018 08:16:43
1035 forum posts
16 photos

That's a bit harsh, Sam...

There are guys on this forum with many years experience, Percy is certainly one of them.

By your own admission, you keep crashing your models, so suggestions were put forward to help.

I can't fly 3D either, but if I do have a go, then when it all goes wrong, I can recover the model to prevent a crash... It seems you can't at this stage.

Please take on board what the guys have put forward related to what you have told us, and please don't get personal or no will want to help you further.

Percy Verance08/07/2018 08:26:08
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Sam

Since you're being fairly frank, I trust you'll allow me the courtesy of being likewise...

Firstly I'm afraid I need to correct you. I haven't been *doing it* for 25 years. It's actually almost 50. If you'd looked at my profile you'd know that. And no, I didn't really mean to imply you ought to be doing a different type of flying, but the breakages and losses you seem to be experiencing might suggest it as an alternative. Breaking models all the time can't be much fun surely?

I certainly wouldn't venture to suggest your question is wrong Sam, but your attitude to model flying may well be. I do honestly think you're trying to run too fast too soon.

I'll stick my neck out and make a prediction. You'll find your ideal 3D foamie alright, but sadly you'll continue to crash them.............because it doesn't appear to have occurred to you (yet) that what you're hoping/trying to achieve may just be a little bit beyond your present flying ability.

You seem to be looking for that elusive *magic fix* model which will suddenly transform your abilities. I sincerely hope you find it, but the search could be a long one.......longer even than the trail of broken models.

Non advice Sam? I'm not sure what that might be, but my help and advice has taught dozens of people to fly during my time as both a BMFA Examiner and registered Club Instructor. I've also been the Co - Founder of two model flying clubs, and negotiated the use of their respective flying sites. Not too bad a tally for non advice eh?

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/07/2018 08:50:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us