By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Avicraft Panic - Plans & CofG?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy C11/07/2018 18:22:11
105 forum posts

I picked up a panic cheap from one of my clubs last year and have a chance this weekend to hopefully get it in the air. I don't know anything of its history, or which version it is other than it has foam wings and so I guess an earlier model. Engine is an Irvine 46.

Does anyone have an electronic version of the plans for these, and / or details of where the Centre of Gravity should be please

Thanks

Percy Verance11/07/2018 18:33:55
7051 forum posts
140 photos

Wow, do they still make these? They were around back in the 70's.......

Denis Watkins11/07/2018 20:32:55
3120 forum posts
144 photos

Mistake sorry

Edited By Denis Watkins on 11/07/2018 20:33:47

Andy C12/07/2018 17:54:32
105 forum posts

What no one? I can believe these are not popular enough to still have some proud owners!

Broken Prop12/07/2018 18:56:12
564 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Andy

That looks like a nice plane you have there. It should fly well with the 46 up front although others have severely over engined these planes in the past. A 90 would you believe?

You are right about the foam wing. That was produced some years back although I believe that spares are still available.

I am away from my desk at the moment but I should be able to find out the CG for you tomorrow.

I don't think there are any offical plans out there as the Panic was only produced with written instructions using small diagrams to illustrate points in the build. In truth they were so easy to put together that plans were not really necessary!

Percy. They still make the venerable old beast, but in a more user friendly format these days. The wings for instance are now balsa framed and use notched spars and a pierced traiing edge so that the whole wing can clipped together and then glued with SuperPhatic or the instant penetrating glue of your choice. It is possible to build a wing panel in about 15 minutes using cyano.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 12/07/2018 18:57:28

Denis Watkins12/07/2018 19:27:19
3120 forum posts
144 photos

Look down on the wings Andy, from above, in plan view, and imagine it is one wide chord wing.

Measure the whole chord based on two wings view

And work out your 25% - 30% C of G.

This does work

Andy C12/07/2018 20:52:09
105 forum posts

Thanks Broken Prop.

Cheers Denis. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what it ends up with.

Steve J12/07/2018 21:23:17
759 forum posts
31 photos

For the Panic ARTF (which looks very similar), the CoG is 100mm from the leading edge of the upper wing and the chord of the upper wing is c. 190mm (excluding the ailerons). If memory serves, I ended up well behind this in my quest for the perfect spin.

Steve

Broken Prop13/07/2018 12:44:28
564 forum posts
1 photos

The CG for the kit version is the same. 100mm behind the leading edge of the top wing.

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us