Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Enya 4stroke open rocker engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy311/07/2018 20:41:56
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Hi all I have acquired the above old in age but not I use engine. I was told that the exhaust was only a 3/8 dia stainless tube about 1inch long. Can anyone confirm this and what difference would it make if I could not obtain one. Cheers

Denis Watkins11/07/2018 20:49:36
3119 forum posts
144 photos

Here is a .40 FB

a403.jpg

jeff2wings11/07/2018 20:55:01
701 forum posts
1633 photos

Hi FB , I have a 35 and the ex/pipe is 6.6mm x55 long and held in the head by a cap screw ,simple to make one,old Tx aerial ?

Peter Miller11/07/2018 21:12:48
9426 forum posts
1093 photos
10 articles

The engine would still run. but might be a bit noisier. You could try Steve Webb Models.They do have a big t=ramge of Enya FS spares and there is a slight chance they might have one.

fly boy311/07/2018 21:26:33
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks all, and I do have a few spare aerials lol. Cheers. Hi Dennis ,yes that's the one, seems odd without a rocket cover wonder what the reason was ? Cheers

Denis Watkins11/07/2018 21:34:10
3119 forum posts
144 photos

Even these days there is no pressure or spillage from the rockers. There was no need for a rocker cover.

They do look pretty, and maybe keep out dirt and dust.

But not for pressure or oil flow, because there is non.

That's why we drip oil in the top occassionally

Edited By Denis Watkins on 11/07/2018 21:34:55

fly boy311/07/2018 22:29:03
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for that Dennis. The only snag I can see is the position of the plug. Don't think I can get a glow stick in there. Might have to buy /make a remote plug. Cheers

Simon Chaddock11/07/2018 22:29:15
5226 forum posts
2721 photos

FB3

It is possible that the exhaust pipe was both a specific length and diameter to aid exhaust scavenging but it certainly run without it..

J D 811/07/2018 23:07:05
946 forum posts
59 photos

I have one of these in a motor glider and you will not find it noisy but neither will you find it powerful. Words like skin off a rice pudding come to mind.smiley Still nice though.

Just make up a pipe as said above.

Exhaust scavenging is not relevant to a four stroke.

Peter Miller12/07/2018 08:22:47
9426 forum posts
1093 photos
10 articles

I had one when they first came out. IT was a nice engine but it suffered terribly from corrosion on all the camshaft bearings.. Not sure why, the 35 was not nearly as bad.

If you buy a remote glow clip get the one that just has a wire clip and then slide fuel tube over it and make a hole for the glowplug post.

fly boy312/07/2018 08:42:30
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for that Peter, a good idea. Cheers

Engine Doctor12/07/2018 10:53:37
2054 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/07/2018 08:22:47:

I had one when they first came out. IT was a nice engine but it suffered terribly from corrosion on all the camshaft bearings.. Not sure why, the 35 was not nearly as bad.

I think the problem of corrosion is down to a lack of air flow in the valve / timing gear box and resulting condensation. I have rebuilt quite a few of these and later Enyas and all suffer from corrosion .As to say the later models don't suffer quite as much. I haven't directly compared the early and later models to see if any breather passages have been drilled/enlarged.

Make sure you oil the cam followers regularly or they will stick causing engine to stop or become very lethargic !

As already said exhaust pipe won't alter performance but will help with pointing the oily exhaust away from model. Very economical and not very noisy compared to later versions but the price you pay for this ,as already stated is lower performance.

It's really nice to see older engines used in old style models. Enjoy.

extra slim12/07/2018 11:49:35
419 forum posts
47 photos

Quickie in terms of glow.. alot of us have lots of various charging leads which come with chargers etc.. I use a glow stick, clipped onto the charger bit for it, the other end is a deans, so I have the latter half, deans to croc clips... and clip one on plug and other earthed. works great on a laser 75 which also has a forward facing glow.. work for me.

Gordon Whitehead 112/07/2018 12:43:16
255 forum posts
121 photos

I had a couple of these little beauties when they first came out. As Peter says, bearing rot was a problem, so I hope the ones in yours are OK, FB3. At the time I owned mine, Enya spares were pretty well unavailable, especially the bearings of which at least one, possibly the rear main bearing, was a non-standard size special to Enya. When my engines' bearings went u/s, I tried ordering replacements from the importer (John Haytree if I remember correctly but he ceased trading a while back) but they couldn't get them. So I photographed the two planes in which the engines were mounted, and sent the pics to Enya in Japan. I explained that it was their fault that the planes were grounded because they were not supplying spare bearings to the UK distributor, and I asked them to start doing so. Quite quickly I received a package in the post direct from Enya containing a couple of bearing sets for no charge. Naturally I wrote them a letter of thanks. Subsequently the Enya spares situation improved considerably.

As regards power, there was no shortage of that in the correct airframes and I had lots of great flying with my two 40FS in these two models which I designed for them:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9264

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5987

The 4lb wt CAP was fully aerobatic, whilst the 5lb wt Fokker would do the usual loops, rolls, and stall turns, along with knife-edge flight, and an upward half-roll with enough height gained to do a neat stall turn off the top followed by a half-roll and recovery on the way back down.

I'm not certain, but I think I used a remote glow connection via a dress snap on the plug.

Gordon

fly boy312/07/2018 13:27:27
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Good tipES. Will try that. Gordon, the model I propose to build is also from Outerzone. It is Flying Aces Sportster by Geoff Northmore. I will enlarge it slightly as it was designed for a 26 four stroke I think. I failed to down load the plan, but a very kind forum member has offered to do it for me. Must say its a lovely looking model. Cheers

fly boy312/07/2018 20:21:22
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Gordon, how does a snap on fastener work with the plug ?.Bit slow on these things sorry.. Cheers

Peter Miller12/07/2018 20:52:13
9426 forum posts
1093 photos
10 articles

He means a press stud as used on ladies dresses etc

fly boy312/07/2018 20:55:19
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Ah , got you Peter. The old ones were metal but modern ones are some sort of plastic. Thanks

Gordon Whitehead 113/07/2018 13:34:23
255 forum posts
121 photos

That's right. Here's a pic of one I made up for a Laser v-twin. The plug leads are wired onto the glow clip connector from a Hobbyking remote glow lead. The plug leads are wired for series connection, using a 2S NiMH to light the plugs. Using OS No8 plugs, this setup wasn't very satisfactory because the dress snap spring wires became too easily trapped in the OS plug pillar slots and the snap fasteners were almost impossible to unplug without damaging the spring. Way back I used Enya No3 plugs exclusively, and the spherical end on the plug pillar allowed easy connection and disconnection of the dress snap.

The rubber-covered connector on the right came off the Hobbyking remote glow lead, and wasn't used on the Laser because the cuff over the soldered joint could be chafed away by the Laser's fins due to vibration, and produce a short circuit when the battery is connected. However, the fins on the Enya .40FS are probably shorter, and the angled plug more accommodating to allow a better route for the wire lead, minimising the risk of the rubber chafing on the fins. The HK-style connector is most likely available in your local model shop.

BTW, I love the Sportster's sleek shape. Those aileron locks shown on the plan are an excellent idea too. Mind you, it's usually the elevators or rudder that I bump into doors etc, and I can't think of a similar style lock for those.

Gordon

gloplug connector.jpg

fly boy314/07/2018 18:25:19
3320 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for the info Gordon. Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us