Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Work Bench Protection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Little12/07/2018 13:11:13
54 forum posts
9 photos

I have recently had my new shed and have built a collapsable work bench, however I was wondering if there is anything I can coat the top in just to try and give a hard layer of protection?

20180611_124322.jpg20180611_124301.jpg

Engine Doctor12/07/2018 13:15:02
2019 forum posts
20 photos

A sacrificial layer of chip board screwed down . It can easily and cheaply be replaced when it's too tatty.

Geoff Sleath12/07/2018 13:39:55
2762 forum posts
202 photos

My benches are covered in lino offcuts. They've lasted for many years (not sure how many but definitely over 20).

Geoff

Robert Cracknell12/07/2018 13:46:15
104 forum posts
6 photos

I put a sacrificial layer of oiled hardboard over mine, not too thick and easily replaced and the oiling help prevent spilled glue etc from sticking to it.

The Wright Stuff12/07/2018 14:14:23
1306 forum posts
225 photos

It might depend a little on what you want to use the bench for, and what you want to protect it from, but +1 for just using something sacrificial.

Plasterboard is good for pinning into...

Card / newspaper perfectly adequate for paint splashes...

Otherwise, cheapish plywood, mdf, hardboard or chipboard, as above. You could seal it to make it last a bit longer...

spudsy12/07/2018 15:02:11
18 forum posts
Not protective I know, but I recently painted my worktop with 3 coats of white emulsion. It has not only brightened up the whole room but also made it an awful lot easier to keep an eye on the bits and pieces.
Kevin Wilson12/07/2018 16:24:12
373 forum posts
13 photos

My previous bench had an offcut of 6mm mdf which lasted well. Soaked up bashing. Cutting and solderibg very well. My latest bench has varnished 6mm mdf which I am not sure was worth the extra treatment.

My woodwork bench is topped with oiled hardboard which is a good alternative to mdf and ready finished.

Simon Feather12/07/2018 16:51:50
208 forum posts
167 photos

Mine has removable boards on it made of 1/2" veneered MDF offcuts from a kitchen refurb, to which have been glued two thicknesses of (sacrificial) cork tiles, good for pinning into and absorbs scalpel cuts when trimming, and the boards can be moved around to get the best fit as needed depending on the job in hand e.g. wing building, or to form basic shooting boards for sanding edges, or whatever. Very flexible and easy to replace a tile if one gets too bad. The cork tiles came with a surface treatment as they were intended for bathroom use.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us