Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Binding two transmitters

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rich too14/07/2018 07:07:11
3018 forum posts
1070 photos

Now that I have a new trans I want to start moving my models across from the old one. So it occurred to me is it possible to have the models set up on both trans and have the receivers bound to both trans?

Trevor Crook14/07/2018 07:17:14
849 forum posts
65 photos

Don't think so. One of the main advantages of the 2.4G protocol is that it will prevent the rx from responding to any transmitter other than the one it has been bound to. Each tx transmits a unique ID code to acheive this.

Some brands of tx such as Spektrum and FrSky have an SD card slot that you can copy model memories to, for transfer to another tx.

CARPERFECT14/07/2018 07:18:20
483 forum posts
7 photos

NO

Percy Verance14/07/2018 07:18:30
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I'm no electronics guru Rich, but in a word I'd say no because each individual transmitter - that's everyone's, not simply just yours - has it's own individual *code*....... which is why you have to bind any new rx to your tx.

I don't know what system you're using but I'm given to understand that if, for example, you are using Spektrum, you'd simply transfer the SD card over to the new tx I think. Similarly, as a Multiplex user, assuming I'd stored my model settings/memories on my pc or laptop, I could then transfer them to the new tx. I think my newer Mpx tx's also have an SD card now........

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/07/2018 07:20:30

Rich too14/07/2018 07:23:19
3018 forum posts
1070 photos

Thanks gents, that is what i thought. I am going from a Futaba 7c to a 16sz, and I don’t think I can use a card.

gangster14/07/2018 08:45:51
957 forum posts
17 photos

Not totally sure I understand the question. Do you need the Models bound to both Transmitters. As each receiver is rebound it will “adopt” the new transmitter. So the ones still bound to the old one will still work with that. The hard bit might be copying the set up over and suspect that might have to be done the hard way. Not intimate with those two transmitter but they are a few generations apart and will do things in different ways

Percy Verance14/07/2018 08:54:08
8108 forum posts
155 photos

He'd like both the old transmitter and his new one to be able to operate his models gangster. Not possible with today's 2.4ghz sets as far as I'm aware........ He'd need to re-bind and possibly reset some things I think.

If it's the older 7c Rich, then it's the hard way I'm afraid..... Jot down the settings, then transfer to the new tx.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/07/2018 08:56:21

Bob Cotsford14/07/2018 10:32:27
7972 forum posts
439 photos

Can you back both of the transmitters up on a pc? If so you may find a utility to convert from one tx format to the other as they are both Futaba. That's about your only chance of transferring models and settings from the old tx to the new one.

Quick search -the only converter I could see was from 18mz to sz

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/07/2018 10:35:04

gangster14/07/2018 10:40:17
957 forum posts
17 photos

Just reread my own post and realise it’s a bit ambiguous. I meant to say. The ones rebound to new to will only work with that. And the others will still work with the old one

Rich too14/07/2018 18:29:52
3018 forum posts
1070 photos

Just to confirm, it wasn’t something I wanted to do, I just wondered whether it was possible once I transfer planes over. I did do a brief search and I don’t think there is an easy way to swap. I’ll take settings and it should be too difficult.

John Laird15/07/2018 09:47:26
427 forum posts
46 photos

As I understand 2.4 and binding, you can only bind 1 Tx to a Rx but you can bind more than 1 Rx/plane to a memory point on a Tx. The latter is particularly useful for older Tx's where there were only a few memories available - 10 on my spectrum. You do have to adjust plane trims so that Tx trims are same for both planes

John Privett15/07/2018 21:47:08
5959 forum posts
236 photos

Think of it this way;

Every 2.4GHz transmitter has what is often referred to as a GUID - a Globally Unique IDentity. Basically a serial number, it sends this when it transmits to the reciever.

When you bind the receiver you are telling the reciever to only respond to signals that have that GUID sent with them. So the receiver will only respond to one transmitter.

You can rebind it to use a different transmitter, but then it will no longer respond to the original one.

gangster16/07/2018 11:46:06
957 forum posts
17 photos

Yes you cN bind as many receivers as you like to one transmitter but not the other way round. Spektrum has model match which means that you can have only one receiver per memory ( don’t know of any other makes that do that but the Germans might on some). This is good news if you only have a few memories but bad news if you have a senior moment and the you select the Wrong memory with different throw directions. So why don’t Futaba and a few others have model match? And why doesn’t everybody check that ailerons and elevators are going the right way before they move the throttle to take off? They then blame the radio for reversing the throws. What in the next 5 seconds?

The Wright Stuff16/07/2018 11:48:54
1381 forum posts
226 photos

It sounds like you need to upgrade to 35 MHz in order to access that extra functionality...

gangster16/07/2018 12:03:55
957 forum posts
17 photos

Of course 2.4 does have one advantage over 27/35. It’s easier to carry your model out without getting the aerial in the prop.

Chris Walby16/07/2018 12:30:03
981 forum posts
230 photos

Hi ganster

Your comment " Spektrum has model match which means that you can have only one receiver per memory" is I understand incorrect.

I have an old DX8 and I can bind 2 RX's at the same time to one model memory (handy for large models where I can have dual redundancy. I am using one RX to control flight surfaces and another separate RX battery, RX to drive some U/C which was highly lightly to jam/stall the servos (since removed and dolly launched/belly landing) but I wanted them totally separate.

You are right though about model match and in theory have one TX and two models (or more) on one memory but not the other way around. Sorry, back on topic

Gary Manuel16/07/2018 12:49:23
1889 forum posts
1508 photos

I was just about to ask a question but Chris has pretty much answered it.

I was flying yesterday and one of my club mates had forgotten to turn his previously flown electric powered model off. He took his next model to the take off position, shouted "taking off" and revved both models up. It could have been amusing / funny / dangerous to see both models take off, but fortunately, he heard the first model behind him and chopped the throttle in time.

His transmitter was a Taranis. He had set the second model up by copying the profile of the first model and then editing it, which presumably had copied the model ID over too. I'm not sure whether he copied the profile over in the transmitter or TX Companion or directly on the SD card. Point is, he had two models bound to one transmitter.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 16/07/2018 12:50:56

John Laird16/07/2018 13:33:06
427 forum posts
46 photos

My spectrum dx6 will bind more than one model to one memory but there is no chance of me inadvertantly flying 2 models at same time as I only ever have one battery in one model at any one time.

leaving a battery in a model not flying is an unsafe practise.

Trevor Crook16/07/2018 14:03:21
849 forum posts
65 photos

John, I don't understand how you can bind more than 1 model to each memory, although I haven't tried the simultaneous binding described by Chris above.

The Taranis system seems to rely on you checking that you have the correct Rx number set during binding. I guess if you copy parameters across, the Rx number is copied too.

Gary Manuel16/07/2018 14:15:09
1889 forum posts
1508 photos
Posted by John Laird on 16/07/2018 13:33:06:

leaving a battery in a model not flying is an unsafe practise.

My club mate would be the first to agree, and wouldn't normally do this. We were flying at a public gala and he was swamped by members of the public when he landed. I suspect that this interfered with his normal post flight routine. Both models were fenced off from the public with the props pointing away. The only person who was in any danger was him.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us