Ben Buckle Mini Super - Build

A Ben Buckle Mini Super - build from a kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Luccaaa14/07/2018 19:52:52
74 forum posts
117 photos

Hello,

Welcome to my build blog on the Ben Buckle Mini Super. I have decided to build this model from a kit, and I may use either Diesel or Electric power. This depends on weather I deem my Irvine 20 diesel engine a good choice for this model. Ben buckle says that it is suitable for a 10-15 size diesel engine, and i'm not yet sure if a 20 is a stretch. Either way, the build will be rather self explanatory as is the way with most Ben Buckle models. It will be built as a 3 channel RC model with Diesel power or Electric. My past experience with Ben Buckle kits has been nothing but positive, so I am looking forward to the build.

Luccaaa14/07/2018 21:04:59
74 forum posts
117 photos

The engine was kindly given to me by a fellow model flyer. I can only assume that the Irvine 20 had not been run in a while as there was a build up of fuel waste products. Under the advice of the person who gave it to me, I scrubbed the engine in its own fuel using an old toothbrush. The results were quite good as seen below:image7.jpegimage6.jpegimage5.jpeg

Luccaaa14/07/2018 21:13:43
74 forum posts
117 photos

Onto the construction of the fuselage,

I covered the plans in decorators dust sheet from B&Q which provides a nice anti-stick layer in order to not join the model to its plans. Then, I made up the bottom and top strip wood shapes that make up the outline of the basic fuselage side. After doing this, I began placing the longerons and the diagonals after that. The fuselage side turned out nicely and did not stick to the plans. I now only need to make up some gussets which I will reinforce with ply as when I come to drill holes in them for dowels, I don't want them pulling through the balsa when elastic bands are on the model.

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Percy Verance14/07/2018 22:44:39
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Luccaaa

It's always good to see a model being built from scratch. The Irvine diesel is something of a rarity too these days. If you do use it once the model is complete Luccaaa, do be sure to use diesel compatible fuel tubing for the tank and plumbing. The silicon tube used by glow engines is not suitable for diesel fuel.

I don't wish to seem over-critical Luccaaa, but it's generally best to leave partially built components pinned to the building board until finally complete. This can help to avoid warps developing in the structure.

Even if the Irvine is slightly larger than the stated size for the model Luccaaa, you can always "waste" a little bit of power by fitting a large prop if you have the ground clearance. It does look like one of the earlier Irvines Luccaaa, possibly from the 80's. It has the older (read fiddly) style of silencer retention.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/07/2018 22:57:28

Luccaaa14/07/2018 22:54:36
74 forum posts
117 photos

Thanks for the reply Percy,

I welcome the advice you have offered me. It's nice to have that different perspective on the build. With regards to the fuel tubing, luckily I have some tygon tubing that works nicely with the Diesel and doesn't dissolve over time. And in response to your advice on removing the fuselage side from the building board, I thank you for the help. I removed the piece because I needed to get at something underneath it on the plans however, any warps in the piece I am confident can be removed when I join the two halves together. Luckily for me, the fuselage side came out nice and straight!,

Thanks, Luccaaa

Percy Verance14/07/2018 23:11:48
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi again Luccaaa

Attempting to remove a warp from a part of the structure while joining it to another piece will not end happily Luccaaa. It will introduce stresses that shouldn't be present, which will eventually manifest themselves somewhere in the structure. Warps are the model builder's worst enemy! Many builders would build the second fuselage side directly over the first one to ensure two identical structures. Personally I don't follow that method. I pin small pieces of wood to the plan at strategic parts of the fuselage structure, and pin my fuselage sides right up to them. And of course while I am building the second side, the first one is pinned to the board but out of the way. I also get a copy of the plan done prior to covering the plan on the board. That way you still have a plan you can examine while the other has parts pinned to it.....

Luccaaa15/07/2018 07:59:07
74 forum posts
117 photos

Hi Percy,

When I constructed my Ben Buckle Super 60 and my Junior 60 I did indeed leave the fuselage sides pinned to the board. Then I also build the other fuselage half on top of the first to ensure they are identical. I plan to do this again for the mini super. I appreciate your advice on the warps, obviously you know what your talking about! However, the fuselage side came out very straight with no warps in it so there is no cause for concern just yet. Thanks for keeping me alert though, it certainly is helpful advice for future builds.

Thanks a lot,

Luccaaa

Percy Verance15/07/2018 08:38:06
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi again Luccaaa

I think it may be a Ben Buckle *thing* Luccaaa, but the BB kits I've built over the years have had very variable wood quality. And there lies the problem. It's a recipe for warping if you happen to get - for example - one quite stiff longeron along with a much softer one built into the same fuselage side. It's an issue you seem aware of though Luccaaa, so I shan't dwell on it.

Do you have a building jig Luccaaa? They're very useful. If you don't have one, then a simple straight line drawn on the bench can help. This would of course require matching centrelines drawn on the main fuselage formers. Once they're all lined up when joining the sides. it's probably going to be as straight as you might get it.

Luccaaa15/07/2018 08:46:02
74 forum posts
117 photos

I don't currently have a building jig, but I will certainly look into it for the future. Seems like you have had worse luck with BB kits than myself, all of the kits I have built so far have actually had quite good wood quality... Obviously Ben Buckle need to have a higher standard for their kits or at least a better supply of wood. That being said however, with my Junior 60, I did indeed leave the fuselage side pinned to the bench when I made it and then built the other on top of it and it did warp slightly inwards. I sprayed the component with a very light coat of water and left it under a large hardback book overnight and that seemed to solve the problem.

Percy Verance15/07/2018 08:55:19
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Kit quality was fine 20 odd years ago Luccaaa, when it was Ben Buckle himself producing the kits. Now that they are being produced by someone else - I'm not sure who these days - it's fair to say the quality isn't what it once was.....

I just found some photos of my building jig Luccaa. It's an old Aerotek one, no longer available. There are others on the market though. Some people make their own. The thicker black line on the centreline of the board is the one used to line up the centres of the fuselage formers. Once it's all lined up, you clamp it all in place until the glue dries. One straight fuselage ought to be the result Luccaaa. The elongated slots you see where it says Fuselage Alignment Jig are for aligning the tailplane when fixing it in place. Threaded rods are fixed into the holes, The rods have small rubbers on the end, and it's this end which is placed under the tailplane and adjusted until it is absolutely level. Even a tailplane which is not fixed at zero degrees incidence can be catered for. A very useful bit of equipment to have if you build quite a lot Luccaaa.

jig-2.jpg

jig-3.jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 09:09:00

Piers Bowlan15/07/2018 09:17:51
1821 forum posts
44 photos

Nice straight build Luccaaa yes wink 2 , following with interest.

Luccaaa15/07/2018 09:25:53
74 forum posts
117 photos

Looks like a very useful piece of kit Percy, I shall certainly look into one. I do build fairly often so that should help me quite a lot.

Hi Piers, thanks for the encouragement, I should be continuing with the second half of the fuselage some time later today (after I have been down to the flying field to take advantage of this wonderful weather).

Luccaaa15/07/2018 17:26:29
74 forum posts
117 photos

Well then,

After a nice few hours of flying at the club I am back and building. I have made up the second fuselage side and build it on top of the first side to ensure they are identical. I have used decorators dust sheet to separate the two sides and stop them being joined when the second was built. They are looking quite good and the second side came out exactly the same as the first. Now, I am just waiting for the glue to dry before I give both of the sides a sand round the edge to get rid of any anomalies in their construction. Perhaps later today I will have time to join the two sides, if not, I will attempt to do so within the week.

side24.jpeg

side23.jpeg

side22.jpeg

side21.jpeg

side2.jpeg

Percy Verance15/07/2018 18:55:35
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Nice neat building board Luccaaa. If it were mine I think I'd move that laptop somewhere it won't get balsa dust in or near it. I see you are sanding virtually next to it. On the subject of sanding. As you do quite a bit of building, I'd seriously urge you to consider some Perma Grit sanding tools. They come in all shapes and sizes, and in various grades of abrasive. Once you have some, you really will wonder how you managed without them.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 18:59:14

Luccaaa15/07/2018 19:03:40
74 forum posts
117 photos

Hi Percy,

If I moved my laptop then I wouldn't be able to watch Star Trek as I go! That is absolutely essential in modelling for me laugh. I have indeed used proper sanding tools before and they are very helpful. This was simply just a piece of sanding paper I had near me, I only needed to take a small bit off a piece I cut. I am aware of the dust being relatively near the computer which is why I don't actually sand next to it. I simply had the paper on the desk when I took the photo.

Percy Verance15/07/2018 19:27:31
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Ah right Luccaaa, I see now. I mentioned it because I bought a new laptop not too long ago, and know how much a half decent one costs!

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 19:28:34

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator15/07/2018 19:52:52
6716 forum posts
189 photos

Looking good Luccaaa......I like a nice Mini Super.....they fly very well....wink 2

Your Irvine 20 diesel will be just fine....the first ever RC model I saw (1976) was a Mini Super...fitted with an Enya 19 glow & it flew very nicely. As Percy says you can always back off the compression a tad to lose some power but as it has a throttle I don't think this will be necessary...pop a 10x4 prop on it & enjoy....thumbs up

Luccaaa15/07/2018 19:56:15
74 forum posts
117 photos

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for that, I certainly will be using the Irvine now, that was very helpful. I do prefer diesel, there is still something to be said to just fuel the model up and go, even though they are some what of a rarity these days...

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator15/07/2018 20:05:07
6716 forum posts
189 photos

Plus you get to have a quick sniff of the fuel now & then as well....wink 2

Luccaaa15/07/2018 20:46:54
74 forum posts
117 photos

So here is my Final effort for the weekend:

I have joined the fuselage sides by the two main formers at the nose and then pegged the tail together at the end. It has come out nice and square thanks to the assistance of a set square. Over the week when I have time I will begin to put in the other pieces connecting the two sides and then go from there. It's not looking bad so far, but that can change in a hurry!

fus1.jpeg

fus2.jpeg

fus1.jpeg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us